Whether gay, straight, bisexual, or transgender, health and support resources are available for youth and adults alike. Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for LGBT is a priority to the Commonwealth. Many programs and resources in Massachusetts exist to aid those looking for education, support, or safety.
- The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) ’s Safe Spaces for GLBTQ Youth Program is committed to providing opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender youth to develop their full potential in a safe and supportive environment. The project funds 10 programs known for their community-based focus on specific racial, cultural, and class enclaves of the GLBTQ youth community, which include homeless GLBTQ youth and transgender youth programs.
- The GLBT Youth Support Project (a program of Health Imperatives) provides training and on-going support for educators and health and human service providers to implement welcoming and appropriate programs, policies, and services for young people and their families.
Violence and suicide prevention:
- The MA Transgender Suicide Prevention Working Group – a collaboration of the DPH, the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, Fenway Health, Samaritans, and the Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention – was formed in the summer of 2008 to make communities safer for transgender people.
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. The Trevor Project operates the only accredited, nationwide, around-the-clock crisis and suicide prevention helpline for LGBTQ youth.
- BAGLY – Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- CIGSYA – Cape & Islands Gay Straight Youth Alliance
- GLAD – Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders
- NAGLY – North Shore Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- PFLAG – Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging offers bereavement support groups, caregiver support groups, a speaker’s bureau, meal programs, community education seminars, and cultural competency trainings. Through education, advocacy, and outreach, they help LGBT elders grow older with the dignity and respect they deserve.
For a statewide list of LGBT Pride month events, visit LGBT MassVacation. Have a happy, healthy, and safe Pride Month celebration!
Let us know in the comments how you plan to participate in Pride Month, or tweet us @MassGov.
Tags: civil rights, elderly services, health, health resources, LGBT, LGBT Pride, LGBT Pride Month, LGBT youth, LGBTQ, LGBTQ Pride, LGBTQ Pride Month, LGBTQ youth, Pride Month, suicide prevention, violence prevention, youth services
Apply for the 2016 Round of the MassWorks Infrastructure Program posted on Jun 29
The Baker-Polito administration recently announced that the 6th annual round of MassWorks awards is open and available for municipalities to submit applications. Applications are due between Aug. 22 and Sept. 2, 2016. How MassWorks Can Help Towns and Cities Through the MassWorks Infrastructure Program, the …Continue Reading Apply for the 2016 Round of the MassWorks Infrastructure Program
How to Become an Environmental Police Officer in Massachusetts posted on Jun 28
Did you know that the beginnings of the Massachusetts Environmental Police can be traced all the way back to the 1600s? Early colonists saw the need for laws and regulations regarding fish, wildlife, and natural resource protection. Today, environmental police officers, also known as a …Continue Reading How to Become an Environmental Police Officer in Massachusetts
Celebrate Independence Day in Massachusetts posted on Jun 23
As the state where the Boston Tea Party, Battle of Bunker Hill, and first shots of the American Revolution happened, Massachusetts is a special place to celebrate the 4th of July. Whether you’re looking for a free event for the family or a way to give back to America’s …Continue Reading Celebrate Independence Day in Massachusetts