Whether gay, straight, bisexual, or transgender, health and support resources are available for youth and adults alike. Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for LGBT is a priority to the Commonwealth. Many programs and resources in Massachusetts exist to aid those looking for education, support, or safety.
- The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) ’s Safe Spaces for GLBTQ Youth Program is committed to providing opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender youth to develop their full potential in a safe and supportive environment. The project funds 10 programs known for their community-based focus on specific racial, cultural, and class enclaves of the GLBTQ youth community, which include homeless GLBTQ youth and transgender youth programs.
- The GLBT Youth Support Project (a program of Health Imperatives) provides training and on-going support for educators and health and human service providers to implement welcoming and appropriate programs, policies, and services for young people and their families.
Violence and suicide prevention:
- The MA Transgender Suicide Prevention Working Group – a collaboration of the DPH, the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, Fenway Health, Samaritans, and the Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention – was formed in the summer of 2008 to make communities safer for transgender people.
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. The Trevor Project operates the only accredited, nationwide, around-the-clock crisis and suicide prevention helpline for LGBTQ youth.
- BAGLY – Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- CIGSYA – Cape & Islands Gay Straight Youth Alliance
- GLAD – Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders
- NAGLY – North Shore Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- PFLAG – Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging offers bereavement support groups, caregiver support groups, a speaker’s bureau, meal programs, community education seminars, and cultural competency trainings. Through education, advocacy, and outreach, they help LGBT elders grow older with the dignity and respect they deserve.
For a statewide list of LGBT Pride month events, visit LGBT MassVacation. Have a happy, healthy, and safe Pride Month celebration!
Let us know in the comments how you plan to participate in Pride Month, or tweet us @MassGov.
Tags: civil rights, elderly services, health, health resources, LGBT, LGBT Pride, LGBT Pride Month, LGBT youth, LGBTQ, LGBTQ Pride, LGBTQ Pride Month, LGBTQ youth, Pride Month, suicide prevention, violence prevention, youth services
Responsible Pet Ownership in Massachusetts posted on Apr 24
Having a pet is a privilege that comes with responsibilities. Maintaining your pet’s health, ensuring it has the proper identification, and making sure to clean up after it benefits you, your pet, and the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) , the Department …Continue Reading Responsible Pet Ownership in Massachusetts
Filing for Divorce in Massachusetts posted on Apr 23
More than 844,000 couples divorced in the United States in 2008, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The divorce process varies between states, and you must meet certain requirements to file in the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Court System (MCS) and the Department of Revenue (DOR) …Continue Reading Filing for Divorce in Massachusetts
A Helpful Guide to Filing for Unemployment in Massachusetts posted on Apr 21
Unemployment Insurance (UI) from the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) offers temporary income compensation to unemployed Massachusetts workers while they are seeking new employment. The Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development (LWD) has useful basic information to help residents who’ve recently lost their jobs file …Continue Reading A Helpful Guide to Filing for Unemployment in Massachusetts