Whether gay, straight, bisexual, or transgender, health and support resources are available for youth and adults alike. Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for LGBT is a priority to the Commonwealth. Many programs and resources in Massachusetts exist to aid those looking for education, support, or safety.
- The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) ’s Safe Spaces for GLBTQ Youth Program is committed to providing opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender youth to develop their full potential in a safe and supportive environment. The project funds 10 programs known for their community-based focus on specific racial, cultural, and class enclaves of the GLBTQ youth community, which include homeless GLBTQ youth and transgender youth programs.
- The GLBT Youth Support Project (a program of Health Imperatives) provides training and on-going support for educators and health and human service providers to implement welcoming and appropriate programs, policies, and services for young people and their families.
Violence and suicide prevention:
- The MA Transgender Suicide Prevention Working Group – a collaboration of the DPH, the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, Fenway Health, Samaritans, and the Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention – was formed in the summer of 2008 to make communities safer for transgender people.
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. The Trevor Project operates the only accredited, nationwide, around-the-clock crisis and suicide prevention helpline for LGBTQ youth.
- BAGLY – Boston Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- CIGSYA – Cape & Islands Gay Straight Youth Alliance
- GLAD – Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders
- NAGLY – North Shore Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
- PFLAG – Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging offers bereavement support groups, caregiver support groups, a speaker’s bureau, meal programs, community education seminars, and cultural competency trainings. Through education, advocacy, and outreach, they help LGBT elders grow older with the dignity and respect they deserve.
For a statewide list of LGBT Pride month events, visit LGBT MassVacation. Have a happy, healthy, and safe Pride Month celebration!
Let us know in the comments how you plan to participate in Pride Month, or tweet us @MassGov.
Tags: civil rights, elderly services, health, health resources, LGBT, LGBT Pride, LGBT Pride Month, LGBT youth, LGBTQ, LGBTQ Pride, LGBTQ Pride Month, LGBTQ youth, Pride Month, suicide prevention, violence prevention, youth services
Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely? posted on Sep 21
This is a guest blog post from the Highway Safety Division (HSD) of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS). September 18 marked the start of Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Week across the country. This period promotes awareness to parents and caregivers about the importance of …Continue Reading Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely?
It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit posted on Sep 15
This is a guest blog post from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR), written by Program Coordinator Julia Grimaldi. September is all about apples here in Massachusetts. On September 12, 2016, Governor Baker declared September as “Massachusetts Apple Month.” Apple growers across the state …Continue Reading It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit
Massachusetts Voting and Election Information posted on Sep 13
Election Day is a time to make your voice heard in state and national politics. On Nov. 8, Bay State voters will cast their ballots for president, vice president, and U.S. representatives. Voters will also elect representatives in state and local government and weigh in …Continue Reading Massachusetts Voting and Election Information