Is your summer starting to lose steam? Are your days of lounging by the pool or basking on the beach beginning to blur together? Do you need a new hobby that still provides fun in the sun? Luckily, Massachusetts has a lot to offer; here are a few activities to add some spice to your routine:
Hiking is great for people of all ages as it requires little gear or preparation; there are even accessible trails to accommodate anyone with an injury or disability. And you can even bring Fido! (Just be sure to clean up after your pet.) Before rushing off to the trails nearest you, be sure to observe these safety guidelines:
- Wear comfortable shoes that won’t slip and slide on loose gravel.
- Bring water to stay hydrated, especially on more secluded and challenging trails.
- Abide by any additional warnings or rules that park has posted.
Few things feel better than a cool breeze providing respite from the hot summer air. If you the wind isn’t blowing and you need to create your own, hop on two wheels and hit one of the many biking trails and paths located throughout the state. There are plenty of options for cyclists of all levels.
- Looking for a more intense bike ride? Try mountain biking!
- No matter how seasoned you are, it’s recommended that all riders wear helmets. However, for those under the age of 16, it’s a requirement.
Got a sturdier steed? There are plenty of horseback riding paths all over Massachusetts, which run through forests, alongside rivers, and even near the beach. Remember to ride in groups and wear a helmet.
Athletes seeking a little adventure should tie in for their best Spider-Man impression while rock climbing.
- Residents of greater Boston who want to climb closer to public transportation should visit Quincy Quarries.. With up to 21 different routes, it’s suitable for climbers of all skill levels.
- Anyone with a car may opt for Leominster State Park in central Massachusetts which features cliffs between 20-110 ft. tall, and is suitable for beginners and experts alike.
No matter which fitness challenge you undertake, don’t forget to protect your skin from harmful UV rays, especially during the hottest parts of the day.
Join the conversation: Tweet @MassGov a picture of your favorite outdoor summer activity.
Halloween Safety Tips posted on Oct 24
Halloween is a fun time of year for both children and adults. Whether you plan on trick-or-treating under the moonlight or hosting your own spooky haunted house, it’s important to stay safe. With advice and resources from the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services (DFS) you …Continue Reading Halloween Safety Tips
Winter Energy Saving Tips posted on Oct 24
When temperatures drop in the winter, many folks turn up the heat and hole up indoors. As a result, people often see a spike in their heating bills. Fortunately, there are many simple and effective tips Massachusetts residents can follow to reduce their heating bills …Continue Reading Winter Energy Saving Tips
Massachusetts Workers’ Compensation posted on Oct 23
Work-related injuries or illnesses often result in lost work time, which can make it difficult to stay afloat financially. Workers’ compensation benefits are available to eligible Commonwealth residents to provide some financial assistance until they are able to return to work. About Workers’ Compensation Workers’ …Continue Reading Massachusetts Workers’ Compensation