Is your summer starting to lose steam? Are your days of lounging by the pool or basking on the beach beginning to blur together? Do you need a new hobby that still provides fun in the sun? Luckily, Massachusetts has a lot to offer; here are a few activities to add some spice to your routine:
Hiking is great for people of all ages as it requires little gear or preparation; there are even accessible trails to accommodate anyone with an injury or disability. And you can even bring Fido! (Just be sure to clean up after your pet.) Before rushing off to the trails nearest you, be sure to observe these safety guidelines:
- Wear comfortable shoes that won’t slip and slide on loose gravel.
- Bring water to stay hydrated, especially on more secluded and challenging trails.
- Abide by any additional warnings or rules that park has posted.
Few things feel better than a cool breeze providing respite from the hot summer air. If you the wind isn’t blowing and you need to create your own, hop on two wheels and hit one of the many biking trails and paths located throughout the state. There are plenty of options for cyclists of all levels.
- Looking for a more intense bike ride? Try mountain biking!
- No matter how seasoned you are, it’s recommended that all riders wear helmets. However, for those under the age of 16, it’s a requirement.
Got a sturdier steed? There are plenty of horseback riding paths all over Massachusetts, which run through forests, alongside rivers, and even near the beach. Remember to ride in groups and wear a helmet.
Athletes seeking a little adventure should tie in for their best Spider-Man impression while rock climbing.
- Residents of greater Boston who want to climb closer to public transportation should visit Quincy Quarries.. With up to 21 different routes, it’s suitable for climbers of all skill levels.
- Anyone with a car may opt for Leominster State Park in central Massachusetts which features cliffs between 20-110 ft. tall, and is suitable for beginners and experts alike.
No matter which fitness challenge you undertake, don’t forget to protect your skin from harmful UV rays, especially during the hottest parts of the day.
Join the conversation: Tweet @MassGov a picture of your favorite outdoor summer activity.
Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely? posted on Sep 21
This is a guest blog post from the Highway Safety Division (HSD) of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS). September 18 marked the start of Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Week across the country. This period promotes awareness to parents and caregivers about the importance of …Continue Reading Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely?
It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit posted on Sep 15
This is a guest blog post from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR), written by Program Coordinator Julia Grimaldi. September is all about apples here in Massachusetts. On September 12, 2016, Governor Baker declared September as “Massachusetts Apple Month.” Apple growers across the state …Continue Reading It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit
Massachusetts Voting and Election Information posted on Sep 13
Election Day is a time to make your voice heard in state and national politics. On Nov. 8, Bay State voters will cast their ballots for president, vice president, and U.S. representatives. Voters will also elect representatives in state and local government and weigh in …Continue Reading Massachusetts Voting and Election Information