April 7-13th is National Window Safety Week. Take some time to read the tips below and keep your family safe.
- Windows are a secondary escape route in case of fire. Create an escape plan and practice with your kids so that they know what to do in an emergency.
- Do not install window air-conditioner units in windows used in your emergency escape plan.
- Check to ensure your windows are not painted or nailed shut.
- Keep all closed windows locked, especially when children are around.
- Move all furniture, including beds, away from windows so children aren’t temped to climb onto windowsills.
- If you have double-hung windows, open them from the top rather than the bottom.
- Install window guards in your windows to prevent children from falling out. They are easy to install and are available at most hardware stores. Be sure to choose a model with an emergency release in case of fire.
- Do not rely on screens, they let air in and keep bugs out, but do not protect children from falling.
- If you are on a lower level, consider planting shrubs or soft grass below windows in case a fall occurs. The softer material will help to reduce the impact.
- Most importantly, supervision is the best way to prevent falls. Keep a close eye on your children and read these additional tips for families with young kids.
Winter Safety Tips posted on Dec 7
While Massachusetts winters mean skiing, ice skating, and scenic views across the state, they can also bring extreme cold and severe winter storms. The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), Department of Fire Services (DFS), Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), and the Department of Energy Resources (DOER) provide tips to help Massachusetts residents get …Continue Reading Winter Safety Tips
Transportation Services for Massachusetts Seniors posted on Nov 30
Transportation is a vital service for many older adults who want to continue to live independently in their communities. If you don’t have access to a car or can’t drive for any reason, there are community and state resources that can help. The Human Service …Continue Reading Transportation Services for Massachusetts Seniors
Massachusetts Police Officer Civil Service Exam: Deadline to Apply Is Feb. 21, 2017 posted on Nov 17
This is a guest blog post from the Massachusetts Human Resources Division. The Human Resources Division (HRD) of the Executive Office of Administration and Finance (ANF) is currently accepting applications for the 2017 police officer civil service exam. If you want to become a …Continue Reading Massachusetts Police Officer Civil Service Exam: Deadline to Apply Is Feb. 21, 2017