Riding a motorcycle can be a thrilling and enjoyable experience. In order to prevent injury or accidents, it’s important to abide by Massachusetts law and practice motorcycle safety. Massachusetts strives to reduce the number of motorcycle-related fatalities and injuries in the Commonwealth.
Obtaining a Motorcycle Permit and License
- Any person over the age of 16 may apply for a Class M (Motorcycle) permit and is required to take a written and vision test.
- To apply for a Class M license, you must be older than 18 years old, have a valid Class M permit, complete the Class M License and ID Card Application, and pass a road test.
Safety Tips for MotorcycleRiders
Before hitting the road, make sure you’re ready to ride safely.
- Complete a road ready inspection – Check tire pressure, tread depth, hand and footbrakes, headlights, turn signals, and fluid levels before taking off for a ride on your motorcycle.
- Wear an appropriate helmet – Your helmet should be approved by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218 from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Remember these important tips for sharing the road to prevent accidents between motorcyclists and automobile drivers:
o Wear bright, protective clothing – Motorcyclists should be easily seen and keep their arms and legs covered. Denim and leather are also great materials to protect your skin from sunburn and scratches, and can also help maintain body temperature.
o Use proper lane position – It helps drivers see you and protects your riding space. If you can see a driver in their side-view mirror, they can see you.
- Know and obey traffic laws – Following rules and regulations will lead to an overall safer ride.
More Resources for Motorcycle Safety
- The Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) teaches motorcyclists about safety issues associated with riding and provides a professional introduction to motorcycling.
- The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is a nationwide organization committed to informing people about motorcycle safety.
By following state laws and motorcycle safety best practices, you’ll be prepared to enjoy an exciting ride in Massachusetts!
Share your favorite scenic routes to ride in MA, comment below or tweet us @MassGov.
Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely? posted on Sep 21
This is a guest blog post from the Highway Safety Division (HSD) of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS). September 18 marked the start of Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Week across the country. This period promotes awareness to parents and caregivers about the importance of …Continue Reading Car Seat 101: Is Your Child in the Right Seat and Strapped in Safely?
It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit posted on Sep 15
This is a guest blog post from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR), written by Program Coordinator Julia Grimaldi. September is all about apples here in Massachusetts. On September 12, 2016, Governor Baker declared September as “Massachusetts Apple Month.” Apple growers across the state …Continue Reading It’s Apple Picking Season! Learn About This Versatile Fall Fruit
Massachusetts Voting and Election Information posted on Sep 13
Election Day is a time to make your voice heard in state and national politics. On Nov. 8, Bay State voters will cast their ballots for president, vice president, and U.S. representatives. Voters will also elect representatives in state and local government and weigh in …Continue Reading Massachusetts Voting and Election Information