With holiday shopping in full swing, millions of consumers are expected to ship gifts to their family and friends. However, sending the packages to the right address does not guarantee that they will be received by the intended recipient. Package thefts rise during the holiday season, and some thieves will even follow delivery trucks to scoop up packages as soon as they are delivered.
To make sure your package is properly received this holiday season:
- Require a signature upon delivery
- Request tracking and delivery confirmation
- Insure your packages
- Specify delivery instructions, such as “leave at back door”
- Arrange to pick up packages at the post office or delivery service location
- Ask a friend or neighbor to look out for your order and accept/pick up your packages
- Ship packages to your workplace if your employer allows it
If you are sending a package, let the recipient know that it is coming and when to expect it to arrive (and not to open it just yet!). Be sure to follow up with them to make sure it was received.
If you suspect that a package was lost or stolen, you should:
- First check outside your residence (or other delivery address) to see if the package was placed out of sight, such as in the hedges, by the garage or on the porch;
- Ask your neighbors if they witnessed the delivery or if the shipper accidentally delivered the package to them;
- Contact the shipper first to be sure the items were sent properly. If you determine that the shipper was not at fault, file a complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service;
- File a police report with your local police department.
This post is part of our “Shopping 101” series, bringing you timely information as you shop this holiday season. For more information on your shopping rights, click here.
SMART RENTING SERIES – Problems, Remedies, and Resolutions posted on Aug 31
Many tenants do not give the landlord trouble with being able to pay rent on time, and many landlords follow all their responsibilities. But when there is a problem, how should it be resolved? There are various remedies that can address a host of problems …Continue Reading SMART RENTING SERIES – Problems, Remedies, and Resolutions
Foreign Currency Exchange posted on Aug 20
Traveling to a foreign country presents various challenges for travelers, but perhaps none is more misunderstood than foreign currency exchange. Not only must travelers be mindful of exchange rates when converting funds, but the means through which money is exchanged can also result in costly …Continue Reading Foreign Currency Exchange
Scam Log Analysis: July 2015 posted on Aug 18
The Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation compiles publicly available scam, identity theft, and fraud complaints from around the Commonwealth via police logs, news outlets, and other sources, as well as through the Office’s Consumer Information Hotline. Below is a quantitative analysis of …Continue Reading Scam Log Analysis: July 2015