Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Here's the fourth installment in this series of 96 tips for living greener. This time, we'll tackle green living in the great outdoors. (for Parts 1, 2, and 3, scroll down!)
28. Plant trees, but educate yourself first about native and non-invasive species.
29. Avoid using leaf-blowers, hedge-trimmers, and other energy-burning, dust-producing equipment.
30. Avoid watering grass and don’t cut it frequently. Water plants early in the morning to minimize evaporation.
31. Create a wildlife habitat in your yard. Learn about your local flora and fauna.
32. Instead of using pesticides in your garden, plant marigolds to ward off insects.
33. Compost leaf and grass trimmings.
34. Replant or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
35. Use natural fertilizers or cultivate earthworms.
Women Shaping the Agenda in Energy and the Environment posted on Jul 28
I joined the Department of Energy Resources (DOER) as an intern in the Renewable Energy Division at the start of the summer. As a recent graduate, one of my main internship goals has been not only to learn about the energy industry and policy, but …Continue Reading Women Shaping the Agenda in Energy and the Environment
Getting Started and Gaining Insight into Energy Storage posted on Jul 14
I joined the Department of Energy Resources (DOER) team a few months ago and, as you might imagine, have been introduced to a mountain of new information. Before I joined DOER, I had a very general understanding of what the department actually did for the …Continue Reading Getting Started and Gaining Insight into Energy Storage
Leading By Example Earns EPA Award posted on Jun 16
This spring, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s New England Office chose this historic hall to recognize bold action and innovation of a different kind. It recognized Massachusetts state government’s Leading by Example (LBE) program during a 2015 Earth Day event at Faneuil Hall, awarding LBE a 2015 Environmental Merit Award in the governmental category.