Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Here's the fourth installment in this series of 96 tips for living greener. This time, we'll tackle green living in the great outdoors. (for Parts 1, 2, and 3, scroll down!)
28. Plant trees, but educate yourself first about native and non-invasive species.
29. Avoid using leaf-blowers, hedge-trimmers, and other energy-burning, dust-producing equipment.
30. Avoid watering grass and don’t cut it frequently. Water plants early in the morning to minimize evaporation.
31. Create a wildlife habitat in your yard. Learn about your local flora and fauna.
32. Instead of using pesticides in your garden, plant marigolds to ward off insects.
33. Compost leaf and grass trimmings.
34. Replant or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
35. Use natural fertilizers or cultivate earthworms.
Market-Based Program Designed to Continue Solar Growth posted on Jul 30
This April, the Commonwealth launched its second Solar Carve- Out Program. Built on the success of the first solar carve-out program, SREC II is designed to continue to drive Massachusetts’ solar growth and particularly provide incentives for smaller solar projects, building mounted units, community shared solar, solar canopies, emergency power and low income housing.
“Mass. Military Division” and “Energy Efficiency” Go Together posted on Jul 25
Energy measures implemented at a Mass. Military Divison site include improved lighting, high efficiency motors, HVAC controls and energy management system upgrades. Under the Accelerate Efficiency Plan, the Commonwealth is investing over $12 million at 29 state facilities throughout the Berkshires.
Solar a “No-Go” on Your Roof? Share Through Community Solar posted on Jul 16
Harvard residents who wanted solar on their homes and were unable to get it due to shading, sloping, or structural barriers, found a solution by sharing the Harvard Solar Garden, an approximately 250 kW project, provides 41 residents and six small businesses with sustainable, clean energy. .