Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Here's the fourth installment in this series of 96 tips for living greener. This time, we'll tackle green living in the great outdoors. (for Parts 1, 2, and 3, scroll down!)
28. Plant trees, but educate yourself first about native and non-invasive species.
29. Avoid using leaf-blowers, hedge-trimmers, and other energy-burning, dust-producing equipment.
30. Avoid watering grass and don’t cut it frequently. Water plants early in the morning to minimize evaporation.
31. Create a wildlife habitat in your yard. Learn about your local flora and fauna.
32. Instead of using pesticides in your garden, plant marigolds to ward off insects.
33. Compost leaf and grass trimmings.
34. Replant or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
35. Use natural fertilizers or cultivate earthworms.