Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Here's the fourth installment in this series of 96 tips for living greener. This time, we'll tackle green living in the great outdoors. (for Parts 1, 2, and 3, scroll down!)
28. Plant trees, but educate yourself first about native and non-invasive species.
29. Avoid using leaf-blowers, hedge-trimmers, and other energy-burning, dust-producing equipment.
30. Avoid watering grass and don’t cut it frequently. Water plants early in the morning to minimize evaporation.
31. Create a wildlife habitat in your yard. Learn about your local flora and fauna.
32. Instead of using pesticides in your garden, plant marigolds to ward off insects.
33. Compost leaf and grass trimmings.
34. Replant or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
35. Use natural fertilizers or cultivate earthworms.
Solar Six Stories Up: UMass Lowell Parking Garage Solar Canopy posted on Mar 21
UMass Lowell has dramatically increased the amount of solar generated power with the completion of a new canopy solar panel array on the South Campus parking garage roof. This is just one of over 100 energy-saving projects at UMass Lowell to be completed by the …Continue Reading Solar Six Stories Up: UMass Lowell Parking Garage Solar Canopy
Energy and Environmental Efforts Recognized at 10th Annual Leading by Example Awards posted on Dec 20
Earlier this month, 8 Massachusetts state agencies, public colleges, municipalities, and public sector individuals were recognized at the State House for their leadership in promoting and implementing clean energy and environmental initiatives at the 10th Annual Leading by Example Awards Ceremony. State officials celebrated a …Continue Reading Energy and Environmental Efforts Recognized at 10th Annual Leading by Example Awards
Baker-Polito Administration Completes 24 Energy Efficiency Projects at State Sites posted on Dec 20
Simple Fix’ Projects Will Save Commonwealth $159,000 in Annual Energy Costs NEWBURYPORT– December 16, 2016– The Baker-Polito Administration today announced the completion of an energy efficiency project at the Plum Island Shellfish Purification Plant and 23 additional “simple fix” efficiency projects at state facilities in …Continue Reading Baker-Polito Administration Completes 24 Energy Efficiency Projects at State Sites