Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Here's the fourth installment in this series of 96 tips for living greener. This time, we'll tackle green living in the great outdoors. (for Parts 1, 2, and 3, scroll down!)
28. Plant trees, but educate yourself first about native and non-invasive species.
29. Avoid using leaf-blowers, hedge-trimmers, and other energy-burning, dust-producing equipment.
30. Avoid watering grass and don’t cut it frequently. Water plants early in the morning to minimize evaporation.
31. Create a wildlife habitat in your yard. Learn about your local flora and fauna.
32. Instead of using pesticides in your garden, plant marigolds to ward off insects.
33. Compost leaf and grass trimmings.
34. Replant or mulch disturbed soil as soon as possible.
35. Use natural fertilizers or cultivate earthworms.
Massachusetts Rebates Supercharge Electric Vehicle Market posted on Jul 7
The MOR-EV initiative provides rebates of up to $2,500 for electric, fuel cell vehicles and plug-in vehicles with large batteries, and $1,500 for plug-in electric vehicles with smaller batteries. All Massachusetts residents are eligible to receive incentives on purchased and leased new electric vehicles until the rebate funds are gone.
Community Adoption of Energy Efficient Building Codes Stretches to 143 posted on Jul 2
Eight more municipalities (Dalton, Goshen, Halifax, Holliston, Upton, Wellfleet, Lanesborough, and Stoughton) recently adopted the Stretch Energy Code, criterion five for Green Community designation, and will now work to ensure that new construction and major renovations are more energy efficient. With these additions, the total number of participating municipalities has reached 143.
DOER Staff Picks: What We Do To Save Energy posted on Jun 30
Reducing greenhouse gas emissions isn’t just about installing solar panels on your roof or buying an electric car. While some actions to reduce your carbon footprint are too costly for most, saving energy is certainly something that everyone can do. There are many ways to …Continue Reading DOER Staff Picks: What We Do To Save Energy