Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
In Part 5 of this series of tips to live green (Scroll down for previous installments!), we delve into paper v. plastic, and related consumer choices.
36. Buy recycled paper and paper products.
37. Print on both sides of sheets of paper and only print what is absolutely necessary.
38. Buy products with less packaging.
39. Pay bills electronically.
40. Borrow books from libraries and loan your books to friends and family. If you are a student, buy or rent used textbooks.
41. Use washcloths, hand towels, and dish towels to minimize paper towel use.
42. Choose alternatives to Styrofoam when available.
43. Snip all the holes in plastic six-pack rings.
44. Recycle newspapers, magazines, and phone books.
45. Opt-out of unsolicited or junk mail like credit card offers to reduce paper.
46. Use washable silverware and dishes instead of paper and plastic.
47. Buy and use reusable grocery bags. When you use plastic, reuse them. Plastic grocery bags are great for small trash cans.
New Walden Pond Visitor Center Would Inspire Even Thoreau posted on Dec 17
The 335 acre Walden Pond State Reservation annually attracts 500,000 people from all over the world, who journey there not just for recreation but for inspiration. Those visitors will soon have another amenity to enjoy. Earlier this month, Governor Deval Patrick joined community leaders, other public officials, environmentalists and project partners to break ground on the Department of Conservation and Recreation’s new $8 million Walden Pond Visitor Center, designed to incorporate a wide-range of sustainable materials and technologies.
Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake) posted on Dec 10
The United States was created from thirteen colonies, which suggests that thirteen is a lucky number. Massachusetts just added another lucky thirteen. A new round of Green Communities – you guessed it, thirteen of them – brings the total number of cities and towns that …Continue Reading Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake)
How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System? posted on Dec 4
How many municipal inspections does it take to install a residential solar photovoltaic (PV) system? Two is the magic number, however it can often be difficult to hit. In order for a solar customer to install an array, their system must obtain a building and …Continue Reading How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System?