Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
We're up to installment 6 in our series of 96 tips for going "green." Check out these ideas for being water wise. Then, scroll down for installments 1 through 5!
48. Take shorter showers – not baths (except for babies!).
49. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth.
50. Use water-efficient appliances, like low-flow showerheads, on-demand water heaters, and a toilet that uses around 1.6 gallons per flush instead of 3.5.
51. Use a reusable water bottle and coffee mug and make sure they are BPA-free.
52. Fix leaky faucets.
53. Do full loads of laundry and use high efficiency machines and detergent. Use less detergent and wash clothes in coldest water appropriate for your load.
54. Do only full loads of dishes or wash dishes by hand.
55. Know where your storm drains go and don’t use chemicals in your garden or on your lawn. Never dump anything but water in a storm drain.
56. Learn about and explore your watershed.
Bust that Myth Video: Windows as Energy Investment? posted on Jan 15
While new windows can make your home look great and increase your comfort, DOER first “But that Myth” video debunks the common misperception that investing in windows is a smart energy efficiency action.
Easy to Use Web Tool Shows How Massachusetts Uses Energy, Makes Progress on Clean Energy Goals posted on Jan 5
Do you like data? Are you interested in finding out whether Massachusetts homes use more energy than Massachusetts businesses or how our energy prices compare to other states’? You don’t have to be a data nerd or a policy wonk to answer “yes.” The Department of Energy Resources has just launched an online dashboard to answer these and other questions about how Massachusetts uses energy.
Power Down and Save Up posted on Dec 23
Between Thanksgiving and the cusp of a new year, many of us feel the festive energy. Burning lots of energy seems to go along with celebrating – think of all those holiday lights and cookies we bake. But that extra energy use also gives everyone …Continue Reading Power Down and Save Up