Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Welcome to Part 3 of this series of tips for living "greener." Next up: tips for electronics and appliances. (For Parts 1 and 2, scroll down!)
22. Buy energy-saving light bulbs – compact fluorescents, or the new LED lamps being introduced in Home Depot and other outlets. They cost more, but last longer AND use less energy, so you save every time you turn them on.
23. Use power strips and turn them off when electronics, especially things that glow, are not in use. Many electronic devices leach power, even if they are not turned on.
24. Use a laptop computer. They use less energy than desktops.
25. Set your computer to hibernate or sleep mode after 15-30 minutes of no use. Don’t use a screen saver.
26. Unplug appliances you don’t use very often, like crock pots and blenders.
27. Use electronics as long as possible. When you are ready to dispose of them, recycle or donate instead of throwing in the trash.
New Walden Pond Visitor Center Would Inspire Even Thoreau posted on Dec 17
The 335 acre Walden Pond State Reservation annually attracts 500,000 people from all over the world, who journey there not just for recreation but for inspiration. Those visitors will soon have another amenity to enjoy. Earlier this month, Governor Deval Patrick joined community leaders, other public officials, environmentalists and project partners to break ground on the Department of Conservation and Recreation’s new $8 million Walden Pond Visitor Center, designed to incorporate a wide-range of sustainable materials and technologies.
Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake) posted on Dec 10
The United States was created from thirteen colonies, which suggests that thirteen is a lucky number. Massachusetts just added another lucky thirteen. A new round of Green Communities – you guessed it, thirteen of them – brings the total number of cities and towns that …Continue Reading Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake)
How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System? posted on Dec 4
How many municipal inspections does it take to install a residential solar photovoltaic (PV) system? Two is the magic number, however it can often be difficult to hit. In order for a solar customer to install an array, their system must obtain a building and …Continue Reading How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System?