Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Welcome to Part 3 of this series of tips for living "greener." Next up: tips for electronics and appliances. (For Parts 1 and 2, scroll down!)
22. Buy energy-saving light bulbs – compact fluorescents, or the new LED lamps being introduced in Home Depot and other outlets. They cost more, but last longer AND use less energy, so you save every time you turn them on.
23. Use power strips and turn them off when electronics, especially things that glow, are not in use. Many electronic devices leach power, even if they are not turned on.
24. Use a laptop computer. They use less energy than desktops.
25. Set your computer to hibernate or sleep mode after 15-30 minutes of no use. Don’t use a screen saver.
26. Unplug appliances you don’t use very often, like crock pots and blenders.
27. Use electronics as long as possible. When you are ready to dispose of them, recycle or donate instead of throwing in the trash.
Bust that Myth Video: Windows as Energy Investment? posted on Jan 15
While new windows can make your home look great and increase your comfort, DOER first “But that Myth” video debunks the common misperception that investing in windows is a smart energy efficiency action.
Easy to Use Web Tool Shows How Massachusetts Uses Energy, Makes Progress on Clean Energy Goals posted on Jan 5
Do you like data? Are you interested in finding out whether Massachusetts homes use more energy than Massachusetts businesses or how our energy prices compare to other states’? You don’t have to be a data nerd or a policy wonk to answer “yes.” The Department of Energy Resources has just launched an online dashboard to answer these and other questions about how Massachusetts uses energy.
Power Down and Save Up posted on Dec 23
Between Thanksgiving and the cusp of a new year, many of us feel the festive energy. Burning lots of energy seems to go along with celebrating – think of all those holiday lights and cookies we bake. But that extra energy use also gives everyone …Continue Reading Power Down and Save Up