Susan S. Kaplan
Marketing & Outreach Coordinator, Department of Energy Resources
Alas, we all feel the approach of summer’s end. But during these last warm weeks, here are some important energy-saving tips to keep in mind. Install low-flow showerheads, to reduce your water heating costs.
- Use your ceiling fan instead of the air conditioner.
- Use an outdoor grill for cooking.
- Wear lighter clothes and keep hydrated so you don’t need an air conditioner.
- Keep lamps, T.V. sets, and other appliances away from thermostats if possible. They will make the room seem hotter and make the air conditioner run longer than necessary.
- Turn your hot water heater temperature down; hot water heating can account for a large percentage of the energy consumed in your home.
- Shorten showers. Simply reducing lingering time by a few minutes can save hundreds of gallons of hot water per month for a family of four. And that can save you money!
Follow our Energy Smarts Twitter account, @EnergySmarts, for frequent updates on what you can do to help conserve energy this summer. Here are more of this season’s tips.
New Walden Pond Visitor Center Would Inspire Even Thoreau posted on Dec 17
The 335 acre Walden Pond State Reservation annually attracts 500,000 people from all over the world, who journey there not just for recreation but for inspiration. Those visitors will soon have another amenity to enjoy. Earlier this month, Governor Deval Patrick joined community leaders, other public officials, environmentalists and project partners to break ground on the Department of Conservation and Recreation’s new $8 million Walden Pond Visitor Center, designed to incorporate a wide-range of sustainable materials and technologies.
Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake) posted on Dec 10
The United States was created from thirteen colonies, which suggests that thirteen is a lucky number. Massachusetts just added another lucky thirteen. A new round of Green Communities – you guessed it, thirteen of them – brings the total number of cities and towns that …Continue Reading Thirteen New Green Communities: Cause for Celebration (With Cake)
How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System? posted on Dec 4
How many municipal inspections does it take to install a residential solar photovoltaic (PV) system? Two is the magic number, however it can often be difficult to hit. In order for a solar customer to install an array, their system must obtain a building and …Continue Reading How Many Inspections Does It Take To Install A Solar System?