Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Today, we wrap up this series on 96 Ways to Go Green with a final post on green transportation tips. For the rest of the series, scroll down, And congratulations for taking steps to Go Green!
90. Drive a hybrid or other fuel-efficient car. Cars with manual transmissions typically use less fuel than those with automatic transmissions.
91. Get rid of excess weight in your car (carry as little as possible in the trunk).
92. Buy radial tires and make sure they are inflated to the proper PSI.
93. Drive smoothly – avoid quick acceleration or hard braking to maximize fuel efficiency.
94. Try to run all your errands at once to minimize driving.
95. Share cars among family members.
96. Check your car for leaks and recycle motor oil.
“L-E-D”ing by Example – Illuminating Energy Efficiency on Earth Day posted on May 4
On what was a beautifully sunny Earth Day, a crowd gathered at Lynn Heritage State Park to watch local electrical contractor, Coviello Electric, install a shoebox LED lighting fixture, the last of 30 at the site to make the transition to LEDs. The conversion took just five minutes and, once complete, the crowd cheered as the new LED light was switched on for the first time – a symbolic act that highlighted the two phased Department of Conservation and Recreation project to retrofit approximately 4,500 outdoor lighting fixtures.
HVAC Challenges? How Arlington Gets Answers posted on Apr 22
I wanted to understand, day or night, on site or off, if my heating and cooling systems were operating efficiently. While not at the same scale as software giant, Microsoft, Arlington is utilizing the same fault detection and diagnostics software program, to analyze operations and upgrade HVAC efficiency.
Supporting Massachusetts Agriculture Through Energy Grants posted on Apr 13
Growing up on a small dairy farm in New England, I experienced both the joys and challenges that family farms face on a daily basis. I know firsthand the impact fuel and maintenance costs or water and electricity bills have on the viability of a …Continue Reading Supporting Massachusetts Agriculture Through Energy Grants