Plans for Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW) weekend are in full swing! Happening June 1-3, this is a great opportunity to have a fantastic weekend learning new outdoors skills and spend some quality time with girlfriends, siblings, daughters or other women in your life. The BOW weekend also offers the opportunity to meet some new friends in a beautiful natural setting and learn in a fun environment. I have attended this event over the past five years and made some terrific new friends who were either attendees or instructors.
The BOW weekend workshop will be held at Chimney Corners YMCA Camp in Becket, Massachusetts from Friday, June 1 through Sunday, June 3. Lodging, meals and all instruction are including in the $275.00 price of the weekend. (It would make a great gift for Mother’s Day, which is coming up on May 13.) A discount is available, if more than one family member attends, and scholarships are also available. The registration materials are currently available at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/bow/bow_calendar.htm
Here's a list of some of the workshop sessions offered this year.
- Basic Fishing with Jim Lagacy, MassWildlife’s Angler Education Coordinator
- Learn to Fly Fish with Jim Lafley of the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and Tom Fuller
- Learn Fly Tying with Jim Lafley of DCR
- Beginning Shotgun at the Lee Sportsmen’s Association
- Beginning Rifle at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Beginning Handgun at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Learn how to use a tree stand safely
- Forage for wild edibles with Russ Cohen from the Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Ecological Restoration
- Archery instruction (the sport that has caught imaginations of people who have seen the popular movie The Hunger Games)
- Map and Compass skills
- Ropes Course
Go ahead, join the adventure and develop skills that will last you a lifetime!
EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day posted on Apr 14
Hello, I’m Rick Sullivan, Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) and this coming Earth Day, I invite you to talk with the EEA team and me directly about everything energy and environment-related that the Patrick Administration has accomplished. EEA will host its first …Continue Reading EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day
Massachusetts Agriculture Day posted on Apr 4
On Wednesday, March 26th, agriculture once again took center stage at the State House in Boston. Agriculture Day, also known as “Ag Day,” is the one day a year where farmers come together to focus legislative attention on agriculture. The day is organized by …Continue Reading Massachusetts Agriculture Day
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March posted on Mar 24
March’s Massachusetts Agriculture Calendar Photo Contest winner was Peg Mallett, who photographed customers purchasing Massachusetts maple syrup at The Wayland Winter Farmers’ Market at Russell’s Garden Center from Dale Wentworth of The Warren Farm & Sugarhouse in North Brookfield. Once a photojournalist, Peg began working at …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March