Plans for Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW) weekend are in full swing! Happening June 1-3, this is a great opportunity to have a fantastic weekend learning new outdoors skills and spend some quality time with girlfriends, siblings, daughters or other women in your life. The BOW weekend also offers the opportunity to meet some new friends in a beautiful natural setting and learn in a fun environment. I have attended this event over the past five years and made some terrific new friends who were either attendees or instructors.
The BOW weekend workshop will be held at Chimney Corners YMCA Camp in Becket, Massachusetts from Friday, June 1 through Sunday, June 3. Lodging, meals and all instruction are including in the $275.00 price of the weekend. (It would make a great gift for Mother’s Day, which is coming up on May 13.) A discount is available, if more than one family member attends, and scholarships are also available. The registration materials are currently available at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/bow/bow_calendar.htm
Here's a list of some of the workshop sessions offered this year.
- Basic Fishing with Jim Lagacy, MassWildlife’s Angler Education Coordinator
- Learn to Fly Fish with Jim Lafley of the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and Tom Fuller
- Learn Fly Tying with Jim Lafley of DCR
- Beginning Shotgun at the Lee Sportsmen’s Association
- Beginning Rifle at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Beginning Handgun at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Learn how to use a tree stand safely
- Forage for wild edibles with Russ Cohen from the Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Ecological Restoration
- Archery instruction (the sport that has caught imaginations of people who have seen the popular movie The Hunger Games)
- Map and Compass skills
- Ropes Course
Go ahead, join the adventure and develop skills that will last you a lifetime!
2015 Agricultural Calendar: June posted on Jun 16
A day old calf at Eastleigh Farm in Framingham. Photo by David Crawston June’s Massachusetts Agriculture Calendar Photo Contest winner was David Crawston, who photographed an adorable day old calf at Eastleigh Farm in Framingham. June is Dairy Month; a time to celebrate and enjoy dairy …Continue Reading 2015 Agricultural Calendar: June
2015 Agricultural Calendar: May posted on Jun 16
Bunches of native Asparagus from the Asparagus Festival at Verrill Farm in Concord. Photo by Nicolas Hyacinthe May’s contest winner was Nicolas Hyacinthe who photographed bunches of native Asparagus from the Asparagus Festival at Verrill Farm in Concord. Asparagus is one of the first spring crops …Continue Reading 2015 Agricultural Calendar: May
2015 DAR Agricultural Calendar: April posted on May 14
A lamb at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton. Photo by David Cawston April’s contest winner was David Cawston who photographed a spring lamb at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton. The Cummings School of …Continue Reading 2015 DAR Agricultural Calendar: April