Plans for Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW) weekend are in full swing! Happening June 1-3, this is a great opportunity to have a fantastic weekend learning new outdoors skills and spend some quality time with girlfriends, siblings, daughters or other women in your life. The BOW weekend also offers the opportunity to meet some new friends in a beautiful natural setting and learn in a fun environment. I have attended this event over the past five years and made some terrific new friends who were either attendees or instructors.
The BOW weekend workshop will be held at Chimney Corners YMCA Camp in Becket, Massachusetts from Friday, June 1 through Sunday, June 3. Lodging, meals and all instruction are including in the $275.00 price of the weekend. (It would make a great gift for Mother’s Day, which is coming up on May 13.) A discount is available, if more than one family member attends, and scholarships are also available. The registration materials are currently available at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/bow/bow_calendar.htm
Here's a list of some of the workshop sessions offered this year.
- Basic Fishing with Jim Lagacy, MassWildlife’s Angler Education Coordinator
- Learn to Fly Fish with Jim Lafley of the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) and Tom Fuller
- Learn Fly Tying with Jim Lafley of DCR
- Beginning Shotgun at the Lee Sportsmen’s Association
- Beginning Rifle at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Beginning Handgun at the Lenox Sportsmen’s Club
- Learn how to use a tree stand safely
- Forage for wild edibles with Russ Cohen from the Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Ecological Restoration
- Archery instruction (the sport that has caught imaginations of people who have seen the popular movie The Hunger Games)
- Map and Compass skills
- Ropes Course
Go ahead, join the adventure and develop skills that will last you a lifetime!
Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts posted on Dec 5
While performers serenade shoppers with upbeat or easy-listening music, farmers and food producers sell a wide variety of local food throughout the winter at over 40 winter farmers’ markets this season. Those who have not yet visited a winter market might be surprised by …Continue Reading Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: December posted on Dec 4
December’s photo contest winner was Ruth Osgood, who photographed Cranston’s Christmas Tree Farm in Ashfield.
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November posted on Nov 24
November’s photo contest winner was Liz West, who photographed the farm stand at Westview Farm in Boxborough. Have you ever been to a roadside farm stand with produce out for sale without someone working the register? Produce was probably priced on the shelves, and an old …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November