Assistant Press Secretary, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
June is Great Outdoors Month! Celebrate by attending some of the events hosted by the Department of Conservation and Recreation happening this week and throughout the summer. Always consult The Great Outdoors Calendar when you’re planning your outdoor activities this summer.
- All About the Rock: Visit Plymouth Rock this summer! DCR's Pilgrim Memorial State Park will be presenting free, 10- to 15-minute talks every hour on the hour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (or by request during these hours) throughout the summer. A Pilgrim Memorial State Park Interpreter will also be present at the Plymouth Rock Portico to answer any historical questions about the Pilgrims and the history of Plymouth County. Take advantage of this opportunity to get outside and learn a little bit about our country’s beginnings.
- Borderland State Park Summer Series: Throughout the month of June, DCR's Borderland State Park in North Easton will be hosting two youth summer programs. These will be held once a week for three weeks, each focusing on a different topic. Kidleidoscope! is the preschool program held on Thursdays:
- June 7 – Kidleidoscope! Birds
- June 14 – Kidleidoscope! Butterflies
- June 21 – Kidleidoscope! Critters
Please call 508-238-6566 to enroll. A second program, Exploring Nature, and is held on Sundays throughout the month and targets a wider age-range:
- June 10 – Exploring Nature: Insect Safari
- June 17 – Exploring Nature: Animal Detectives
Borderland State Park will also be hosting tours of the Ames Mansion (on the Border of Sharon and Easton). This is a great opportunity for families and older children to learn about suffragette Blanche Ames, her botanist husband Oakes, and the history of their beautiful stone mansion.
- Off the Beaten Path Hiking Series: Whether you come for just one hike or you come for them all, the DCR's Myles Standish State Forest hiking series is a great way to get some exercise and spend a day outdoors with your friends and family! The hikes take place every Thursday of the month from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., and cover different parts of the park (located in S. Carver). Participants should expect to hike 3-4 miles on moderately difficult trails.
- Evening Stroll: Visit DCR's Maudslay State Park in Newburyport on Thursdays this June from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Back by popular demand, participants in the Evening Stroll series spend an hour on a moderately paced walk through the park led by a park interpreter. This is a perfect way to get outdoors and stay active after work!
- Maudslay in Bloom: Spend a weekend day this summer touring one of the best shows of flowers in bloom in Massachusetts! Maudslay State Park is also home to an exciting array of flowers, including the wild mountain laurels highlighted by poet John Greenleaf Whittier. Tours are held every Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and every Sunday from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. throughout the month of June.
- We Walk the Woods! : Visit DCR's Harold Parker State Forest in North Andover, MA for an activity that combines exercise and sightseeing. Every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. a park ranger will lead a walk through our beautiful forest. This walk is moderately paced and a great chance for all ages to get some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors!
2015 Agricultural Calendar: June posted on Jun 16
A day old calf at Eastleigh Farm in Framingham. Photo by David Crawston June’s Massachusetts Agriculture Calendar Photo Contest winner was David Crawston, who photographed an adorable day old calf at Eastleigh Farm in Framingham. June is Dairy Month; a time to celebrate and enjoy dairy …Continue Reading 2015 Agricultural Calendar: June
2015 Agricultural Calendar: May posted on Jun 16
Bunches of native Asparagus from the Asparagus Festival at Verrill Farm in Concord. Photo by Nicolas Hyacinthe May’s contest winner was Nicolas Hyacinthe who photographed bunches of native Asparagus from the Asparagus Festival at Verrill Farm in Concord. Asparagus is one of the first spring crops …Continue Reading 2015 Agricultural Calendar: May
2015 DAR Agricultural Calendar: April posted on May 14
A lamb at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton. Photo by David Cawston April’s contest winner was David Cawston who photographed a spring lamb at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton. The Cummings School of …Continue Reading 2015 DAR Agricultural Calendar: April