Multimedia intern, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA)
Are you looking for a getaway that's close to home but feels like an adventure? The natural, cultural and recreational resources available to the public make the Boston Harbor Islands a great getaway right here in Mass. Passenger Ferries to visit the islands are located at Long Wharf Boston, the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, and Hingham Shipyard in Hingham.
View a map of the islands before you go to check out the ferry course.
- This Thursday, join a ranger for a beginner kayak exploration off Spectacle’s shore! Take in the sun with a new perspective of Boston’s skyline and its waters. Space is limited!
- Get some fun exercise at the Let’s Move Outside program. Join us on a new fitness program each day at 11 AM. Programs could be walking, stretching, swimming or yoga. Kids who complete at least two Let’s Move programs get a sticker!
- This Thursday at 11am follow the clues as you hike the trails at Bumpkin Pursuit. You’ll collect letters along the way and that will lead you the final clue where you will complete the scavenger hunt. This ranger or self led program is geared towards families and children ages 9‐12.
- Also on Thursday at 2pm and 12:30pm, learn the many uses of plants and how to identify them during the Wild Edibles and Medicinal Plants walk.
- This Thursday at noon and Sunday at 1:30, bring the family to the Youth Fishing program. Learn the basics of saltwater fishing off the Spectacle pier with a ranger. Learn about the fish species in the harbor and state fishing regulations. Bring your own equipment or use ours. Kids under 12 must be accompanied by an adult and 16 and older requires MA saltwater fishing license.
- Come enjoy a Fort Tour everyday at 10:30, 12:30, 2:30, & 4:30. Explore a National Historic Landmark and learn more about prisoners that lived within its granite walls. Join a Park Ranger for an hour long tour of the fort and experience history.
- This weekend from noon-2pm, join a Civil War Soldier or Lady in the parade ground and let your kids play dress‐up Civil War style! Kids will be able to put on clothes similar to those worn nearly 150 yrs ago and learn some history while doing it.
- This Thursday at 11am, 2 and 5pm come paddle the islands on a free ranger‐led Kayak Tour of Hingham Bay!
For more great events happening this and every week, check out our outdoors calendar for events near you.
Calling All Insect-Loving Volunteers! posted on Jul 30
I always thought wasps were the bad guys growing up. But smokey-winged beetle bandit wasps (Cerceris fumipennis) are actually the good guys – used to kill off an invasive species. This specific type of wasp (that does not sting) catches Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), a …Continue Reading Calling All Insect-Loving Volunteers!
A Whale of a License Plate posted on Jul 28
Wish your license plate was more identifiable? Want to save whales? Well, there is a way to achieve both of these at once. Perhaps the old saying about hitting two birds with one stone should be “do two cool things with one easy payment to the …Continue Reading A Whale of a License Plate
Before the Boston Seafood Festival, Reconsider the Lobster posted on Jul 23
Everything that you have been told about lobsters is a lie. Okay, maybe not everything. But despite the popularity of the lobster industry (and it’s a very popular industry—bringing in over $53 million dollars in Massachusetts alone), many popular beliefs about the lobster’s existence are …Continue Reading Before the Boston Seafood Festival, Reconsider the Lobster