Does the winter weather have you feeling the blues? Well cheer up, buttercup! We have something that may put you in a summery mood. Though berries are harvested through the summer and fall, we think of berries as more of a summer treat. So, let’s bring the berries back to warm us up and add a touch of delicious sweetness to any holiday table.
This recipe for Mixed Berry Pie will have you wanting slices stacked a mile high. Naturally sweet and succulent berries are all anybody should ever need! The sweet treat is that most berries pack powerful antioxidants, so there is no need to feel guilty while indulging in this healthy dessert.
This easy recipe would be great to get kids in the kitchen as a delicious project or for upcoming holiday parties. Follow the recipe below:
1 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1/3 cup of water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
- I use a premade pie crust, so you can either follow my lead or go with your favorite pie crust recipe.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, cinnamon, and cinnamon sugar until smooth; add blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gently fold raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and lemon juice into blueberry mixture. Add filling into the pie crust and top with small pats o butter.
- Use pastry dough to cover over filling. Trim and seal to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Use a knife to create a star at the top of the pie for ventilation. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350 degrees, bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool before cutting.