Does the winter weather have you feeling the blues? Well cheer up, buttercup! We have something that may put you in a summery mood. Though berries are harvested through the summer and fall, we think of berries as more of a summer treat. So, let’s bring the berries back to warm us up and add a touch of delicious sweetness to any holiday table.
This recipe for Mixed Berry Pie will have you wanting slices stacked a mile high. Naturally sweet and succulent berries are all anybody should ever need! The sweet treat is that most berries pack powerful antioxidants, so there is no need to feel guilty while indulging in this healthy dessert.
This easy recipe would be great to get kids in the kitchen as a delicious project or for upcoming holiday parties. Follow the recipe below:
1 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1/3 cup of water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
- I use a premade pie crust, so you can either follow my lead or go with your favorite pie crust recipe.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, cinnamon, and cinnamon sugar until smooth; add blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gently fold raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and lemon juice into blueberry mixture. Add filling into the pie crust and top with small pats o butter.
- Use pastry dough to cover over filling. Trim and seal to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Use a knife to create a star at the top of the pie for ventilation. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350 degrees, bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool before cutting.
EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day posted on Apr 14
Hello, I’m Rick Sullivan, Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) and this coming Earth Day, I invite you to talk with the EEA team and me directly about everything energy and environment-related that the Patrick Administration has accomplished. EEA will host its first …Continue Reading EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day
Massachusetts Agriculture Day posted on Apr 4
On Wednesday, March 26th, agriculture once again took center stage at the State House in Boston. Agriculture Day, also known as “Ag Day,” is the one day a year where farmers come together to focus legislative attention on agriculture. The day is organized by …Continue Reading Massachusetts Agriculture Day
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March posted on Mar 24
March’s Massachusetts Agriculture Calendar Photo Contest winner was Peg Mallett, who photographed customers purchasing Massachusetts maple syrup at The Wayland Winter Farmers’ Market at Russell’s Garden Center from Dale Wentworth of The Warren Farm & Sugarhouse in North Brookfield. Once a photojournalist, Peg began working at …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March