Recently, I wrote about ice fishing in central and western Massachusetts and today I am adding information about the eastern part of the state including recommended hot spots suggested by MassWildlife district supervisors, fisheries biologists, and a few personal favorites.
Several of the people I consulted noted that ponds in southeastern Massachusetts and particularly Cape Cod do not freeze to safe ice in some years, and in most years it is only safe on Cape Cod for a few weeks. That said, if you can get onto a Cape pond, the fishing is generally better in terms of numbers and size of fish (particularly bass and perch) than anywhere else in the state.
Below are recommendations for ponds in eastern Massachusetts with a bit of information about the fish that are most popular with ice anglers.
- Baldpate Pond, Boxford: chain pickerel, yellow perch, largemouth bass
- Chebacco Lake, Hamilton/Essex: largemouth bass, yellow perch, chain pickerel
- Whitehall Reservoir, Hopkinton: chain pickerel, yellow and white perch, largemouth bass
- Winnecunnet Pond, Norton: largemouth bass, chain pickerel; (only pond in southeastern Massachusetts with consistent ice)
- Peters Pond, Sandwich: trout, broodstock Atlantic salmon Wequaquet Lake, Barnstable: northern pike, largemouth bass, chain pickerel
- Others: Cliff Pond and Little Cliff Pond, Brewster; Coonamesset Pond and Mares Pond, Falmouth; Ashumet Pond and Mashpee-Wakeby Pond, Mashpee
The photos accompanying this blog are from a trip with my family at Baldpate Pond in Boxford in late January 2010.
There's an ice fishing event for kids in Hopkinton on Jan 30.
EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day posted on Apr 14
Hello, I’m Rick Sullivan, Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) and this coming Earth Day, I invite you to talk with the EEA team and me directly about everything energy and environment-related that the Patrick Administration has accomplished. EEA will host its first …Continue Reading EEA to host first Twitter Town Hall on Earth Day
Massachusetts Agriculture Day posted on Apr 4
On Wednesday, March 26th, agriculture once again took center stage at the State House in Boston. Agriculture Day, also known as “Ag Day,” is the one day a year where farmers come together to focus legislative attention on agriculture. The day is organized by …Continue Reading Massachusetts Agriculture Day
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March posted on Mar 24
March’s Massachusetts Agriculture Calendar Photo Contest winner was Peg Mallett, who photographed customers purchasing Massachusetts maple syrup at The Wayland Winter Farmers’ Market at Russell’s Garden Center from Dale Wentworth of The Warren Farm & Sugarhouse in North Brookfield. Once a photojournalist, Peg began working at …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: March