Recently, I wrote about ice fishing in central and western Massachusetts and today I am adding information about the eastern part of the state including recommended hot spots suggested by MassWildlife district supervisors, fisheries biologists, and a few personal favorites.
Several of the people I consulted noted that ponds in southeastern Massachusetts and particularly Cape Cod do not freeze to safe ice in some years, and in most years it is only safe on Cape Cod for a few weeks. That said, if you can get onto a Cape pond, the fishing is generally better in terms of numbers and size of fish (particularly bass and perch) than anywhere else in the state.
Below are recommendations for ponds in eastern Massachusetts with a bit of information about the fish that are most popular with ice anglers.
- Baldpate Pond, Boxford: chain pickerel, yellow perch, largemouth bass
- Chebacco Lake, Hamilton/Essex: largemouth bass, yellow perch, chain pickerel
- Whitehall Reservoir, Hopkinton: chain pickerel, yellow and white perch, largemouth bass
- Winnecunnet Pond, Norton: largemouth bass, chain pickerel; (only pond in southeastern Massachusetts with consistent ice)
- Peters Pond, Sandwich: trout, broodstock Atlantic salmon Wequaquet Lake, Barnstable: northern pike, largemouth bass, chain pickerel
- Others: Cliff Pond and Little Cliff Pond, Brewster; Coonamesset Pond and Mares Pond, Falmouth; Ashumet Pond and Mashpee-Wakeby Pond, Mashpee
The photos accompanying this blog are from a trip with my family at Baldpate Pond in Boxford in late January 2010.
There's an ice fishing event for kids in Hopkinton on Jan 30.
Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts posted on Dec 5
While performers serenade shoppers with upbeat or easy-listening music, farmers and food producers sell a wide variety of local food throughout the winter at over 40 winter farmers’ markets this season. Those who have not yet visited a winter market might be surprised by …Continue Reading Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: December posted on Dec 4
December’s photo contest winner was Ruth Osgood, who photographed Cranston’s Christmas Tree Farm in Ashfield.
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November posted on Nov 24
November’s photo contest winner was Liz West, who photographed the farm stand at Westview Farm in Boxborough. Have you ever been to a roadside farm stand with produce out for sale without someone working the register? Produce was probably priced on the shelves, and an old …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November