With the winter’s snow and brisk weather comes an abundance of outdoor activities to enjoy. Whether you are fishing, snowmobiling, skiing or hunting, remember to make safety your top priority.
Our officers are outdoors this winter across Massachusetts using four-by-four vehicles, ATVs and snowmobiles to patrol off-road areas and operating a fleet of vessels to patrol coastal and inland waters.
Year after year, we see tragic recreation accidents, so I am urging everyone to take some simple precautions while enjoying the winter weather.
Here are some winter safety reminders:
- Always wear a U.S. Dept. of Transportation-approved helmet when operating a snow machine, dirt bike or off highway vehicle.
- When operating recreation vehicles, ride at reasonable speeds for existing conditions and be especially cautious when operating at night.
- Never operate recreation vehicles under the influence of alcohol.
- Check frozen ponds and rivers before going onto the ice – be aware of soft spots in places where there are currents or natural springs below the ice, and exercise extra caution when temperatures creep above 32 degrees F.
- Dress in layers and wear waterproof outerwear.
- Pack water and first aid supplies with you before venturing outdoors.
- Remember kayak and canoe operators must wear a life preserver from September 15 through May 15 as cold water temperatures can cause hypothermia.
Enjoy all that nature has to offer this season and be safe.
Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts posted on Dec 5
While performers serenade shoppers with upbeat or easy-listening music, farmers and food producers sell a wide variety of local food throughout the winter at over 40 winter farmers’ markets this season. Those who have not yet visited a winter market might be surprised by …Continue Reading Visit Winter Farmers’ Markets for Holiday Gifts
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: December posted on Dec 4
December’s photo contest winner was Ruth Osgood, who photographed Cranston’s Christmas Tree Farm in Ashfield.
2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November posted on Nov 24
November’s photo contest winner was Liz West, who photographed the farm stand at Westview Farm in Boxborough. Have you ever been to a roadside farm stand with produce out for sale without someone working the register? Produce was probably priced on the shelves, and an old …Continue Reading 2014 DAR Agricultural Calendar: November