In June 2009, Governor Deval Patrick signed Chapter 25 of the Acts of 2009, which consolidated several state offices into the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. To streamline planning and promote performance management and innovation, MassDOT re-launched its Office of Performance Management and Innovation (OPM&I) in October 2011.
One of OPM&I’s first accomplishments was the introduction of an organization-wide innovation campaign. Every quarter, employees suggest how MassDOT can improve daily operations, enhance customer service, save money, and work more efficiently. Senior managers implement the best ideas
and recognize their submitters. The campaign encourages employees to cultivate internal improvements and, with over 100 ideas received and 5 awards given, it has been a success.
- In July 2012, it helped introduce a Real Time Traffic Management system, which is providing accurate traffic data for travelers along I-93.
- In August, it helped develop MassDOT’s official Facebook page and designed a “curiosTy” marketing campaign for the MBTA’s 115th anniversary.
- In November, it launched One Voice, a project that is streamlining MassDOT’s complicated telephone directories. Now, instead of requiring customers to navigate between several phone systems, callers can dial a single number (857-DOT-INFO) to contact their local highway district, find out when their Registry branch opens, report a problem on their local bus route, or find out when their flight leaves Logan.
A Year of Successes
Over its first year, OPM&I has developed and implemented performance management systems, policies and processes and introduced other new initiatives that are improving internal operations:
- Strategic Planning: A department wide-strategic plan was created which aligns the organization’s goals and operations of every office, and establishes clear performance targets.
- Accountability & Transparency: Continuously-refined performance management tools were developed that are used to track results against metrics, and are reviewed in monthly internal meetings and quarterly public accountability meetings. Performance management reports are also available on MassDOT’s website.
- Training: Over 150 managers have attended customized training programs to hone their leadership skills.
In 2009, MassDOT was an amalgam of offices with separate cultures, procedures, and software. Integration has been difficult, but the department’s leaders have risen to the challenge. In 2013, the office will continue to weave performance management into MassDOT’s organizational infrastructure and uphold the department’s commitment to excellence for the Governor, Lt. Governor, Legislature, and – most importantly – for Massachusetts’ residents, visitors, and businesses.
Winners of Mass EduData Challenge Announced posted on Jul 30
The Mass EduData Challenge, a multi-week open data competition, revealed the competition winners at an Award Ceremony on Tuesday, July 15th at hack/reduce in Cambridge, MA. The education-centered civic hacking competition challenged participants to create valuable insights by leveraging anonymized public data sets maintained …Continue Reading Winners of Mass EduData Challenge Announced
Mass EduData Challenge Marks its Third Week posted on Jun 24
The Mass EduData Challenge, an education-centered civic data challenge, just completed its third week. Since the May 28th launch at Cambridge hacker space, hack/reduce the challenge has seen a steady increase in participants. The goal of the challenge participants is to enhance educational tools and …Continue Reading Mass EduData Challenge Marks its Third Week
COMMBUYS Provides New Web Platform for Commonwealth Businesses/Government Commerce posted on Jun 23
In 1997, a new web-based bid solicitation system called Comm-PASS was launched by the Commonwealth. At the time, it was considered cutting edge. Unfortunately as time progressed, Comm-PASS no longer adequately met customer demand. Accordingly, the Operational Services Division (OSD) sought to create something better. …Continue Reading COMMBUYS Provides New Web Platform for Commonwealth Businesses/Government Commerce