In June 2009, Governor Deval Patrick signed Chapter 25 of the Acts of 2009, which consolidated several state offices into the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. To streamline planning and promote performance management and innovation, MassDOT re-launched its Office of Performance Management and Innovation (OPM&I) in October 2011.
One of OPM&I’s first accomplishments was the introduction of an organization-wide innovation campaign. Every quarter, employees suggest how MassDOT can improve daily operations, enhance customer service, save money, and work more efficiently. Senior managers implement the best ideas
and recognize their submitters. The campaign encourages employees to cultivate internal improvements and, with over 100 ideas received and 5 awards given, it has been a success.
- In July 2012, it helped introduce a Real Time Traffic Management system, which is providing accurate traffic data for travelers along I-93.
- In August, it helped develop MassDOT’s official Facebook page and designed a “curiosTy” marketing campaign for the MBTA’s 115th anniversary.
- In November, it launched One Voice, a project that is streamlining MassDOT’s complicated telephone directories. Now, instead of requiring customers to navigate between several phone systems, callers can dial a single number (857-DOT-INFO) to contact their local highway district, find out when their Registry branch opens, report a problem on their local bus route, or find out when their flight leaves Logan.
A Year of Successes
Over its first year, OPM&I has developed and implemented performance management systems, policies and processes and introduced other new initiatives that are improving internal operations:
- Strategic Planning: A department wide-strategic plan was created which aligns the organization’s goals and operations of every office, and establishes clear performance targets.
- Accountability & Transparency: Continuously-refined performance management tools were developed that are used to track results against metrics, and are reviewed in monthly internal meetings and quarterly public accountability meetings. Performance management reports are also available on MassDOT’s website.
- Training: Over 150 managers have attended customized training programs to hone their leadership skills.
In 2009, MassDOT was an amalgam of offices with separate cultures, procedures, and software. Integration has been difficult, but the department’s leaders have risen to the challenge. In 2013, the office will continue to weave performance management into MassDOT’s organizational infrastructure and uphold the department’s commitment to excellence for the Governor, Lt. Governor, Legislature, and – most importantly – for Massachusetts’ residents, visitors, and businesses.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Launches Its Municipal Grant Finder posted on Dec 3
Local officials in city and town governments interact with the Commonwealth every day on a variety of matters – from accessing resources to understanding obligations and regulations. Sometimes, local officials know which persons, programs or agencies to contact at the state level to access the …Continue Reading The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Launches Its Municipal Grant Finder
The Road to Open Data posted on Nov 24
The topic of Open Data is gaining significant coverage in government news. So amongst the buzz, the Commonwealth and the Mass Technology Leadership Council (MassTLC) held an open discussion to hear thoughts from the public. According to The Open Data Handbook, “open data is data …Continue Reading The Road to Open Data
Astra IDentity and CarKnow win the Commonwealth’s First MassIT Government Innovation Prize posted on Nov 14
As state government becomes increasingly digital, new and innovative technologies can enhance the Commonwealth’s ability to operate more efficiently. The Commonwealth has partnered with MassChallenge, the world’s largest startup accelerator to create the MassIT Government Innovation Competition. The competition gives the Commonwealth access to entrepreneurs …Continue Reading Astra IDentity and CarKnow win the Commonwealth’s First MassIT Government Innovation Prize