Secretary Gregory Bialecki, Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development
We hold these truths to be self-evident:
1. Innovation is our edge. For almost four hundred years, our economic prosperity and our quality of life have been advanced through technological and social innovation. Innovation has always been, and still is, our fundamental competitive advantage. Our innovations have benefitted the state, the nation and the world.
2. Innovation is everywhere (Part I). Our innovation instincts show up in every industry sector, from manufacturing to digital technology to life sciences to the creative economy, and also permeate our nonprofit and government sectors.
3. Innovation is everywhere (Part II). There are innovation success stories all over the state and indeed in our neighboring states as well. We must keep in mind that innovation knows no bounds.
4. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Let’s face it, when it comes to innovation, we rock. That doesn’t mean we can’t improve (a lot) on what we are doing, but it does mean that we should stop wasting our time worrying about whether we are really in the big leagues. We are.
5. Together we can. The keys to success for a Massachusetts innovation agenda will be local collaborations among business, academia and government and global collaborations with innovators from around the world.
Here within the Patrick Administration, we strongly believe that the Commonwealth must have a deliberate innovation agenda as a core element of our economic development strategy. We will be using this blog to talk more about that agenda, but our objective is simple: To create and sustain what is widely recognized as the most effective collaboration of industry, academia and government in support of technology and innovation in the world.
We hope you will join us.
Secretary Greg Bialecki
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Launches Its Municipal Grant Finder posted on Dec 3
Local officials in city and town governments interact with the Commonwealth every day on a variety of matters – from accessing resources to understanding obligations and regulations. Sometimes, local officials know which persons, programs or agencies to contact at the state level to access the …Continue Reading The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Launches Its Municipal Grant Finder
The Road to Open Data posted on Nov 24
The topic of Open Data is gaining significant coverage in government news. So amongst the buzz, the Commonwealth and the Mass Technology Leadership Council (MassTLC) held an open discussion to hear thoughts from the public. According to The Open Data Handbook, “open data is data …Continue Reading The Road to Open Data
Astra IDentity and CarKnow win the Commonwealth’s First MassIT Government Innovation Prize posted on Nov 14
As state government becomes increasingly digital, new and innovative technologies can enhance the Commonwealth’s ability to operate more efficiently. The Commonwealth has partnered with MassChallenge, the world’s largest startup accelerator to create the MassIT Government Innovation Competition. The competition gives the Commonwealth access to entrepreneurs …Continue Reading Astra IDentity and CarKnow win the Commonwealth’s First MassIT Government Innovation Prize