Green cleaning is more popular than ever and the term is heard often, but what is it all about? Green cleaning is when you use a product that reduces the impact on both human health as well as the environment when compared to other available products. Despite the lesser impact that green cleaners have, they can still cause skin irritation, eye irritation or trigger asthma for those who use the products. The likelihood of causing irritation depends on many factors, including how it is used, its chemical ingredients, and the amount of those ingredients in the product.
To use cleaning products safely, the following steps should be taken:
• Use all products according to the manufacturer’s directions.
• Do not mix cleaning chemicals together. Many products can irritate eyes and trigger asthma when they are mixed together.
• Keep a label on all chemical containers.
• Read the product label before using cleaners. In addition, employees must be trained on proper use and health effects of the products before being assigned to use the products.
• Keep a Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) for each product available to employees. The Safety Data Sheets provide information on appropriate personal protective equipment and on first aid measures.
• Avoid spraying chemical products in an aerosol. Apply cleaners directly to a cloth instead of spraying.
• Use goggles if you might be splashed in the eyes when mixing or using the chemicals. Use gloves to prevent skin contact, as needed.
• Choose products that contain a disinfectant only when disinfection or sanitization is required for specific surfaces.
For agencies and municipalities using the state vendor list, a list of approved green cleaning products is available at www.mass.gov/epp.
Older Americans play increasingly important role in workforce posted on Oct 1
BOSTON, October 1, 2015….Mario Hammond did not have a mid-life career change – she retired, and then retrained for an entirely different job. After working for 20 years as a patient service specialist at George Washington University Hospital in Washington, D.C., Hammond returned to Boston …Continue Reading Older Americans play increasingly important role in workforce
Stop by the Mass BizWorks table at the Boston Small Business Expo posted on Sep 23
Get the Competitive Edge with Mass BizWorks connects businesses to state and federal resources to help strengthen businesses. Learn about the wide variety of services offered through Mass BizWorks at www.mass.gov/bizworks or stop by our table at the Boston Small Business Expo. Please RSVP before …Continue Reading Stop by the Mass BizWorks table at the Boston Small Business Expo
The Department of Labor Standards will be at the New England Public Works Expo! posted on Sep 21
The Department of Labor Standards is presenting a free seminar at the New England Public Works Expo. Lessons Learned: Prevent the Work-Related Accidents that Cost You Money! Description: Inspectors from the Department of Labor Standards share Lessons Learned from accident inspections at cities and towns …Continue Reading The Department of Labor Standards will be at the New England Public Works Expo!