Post Content

a young man holds a cat.

Animals other than dogs may serve as emotional support or companion animals.

This post is part of our series on animals that assist individuals with disabilities.  Housing providers may be obligated to modify their “not pets” policies to allow a resident to keep an animal that does not meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) definition of “service animal.”  This post will clarify the status of other types of animals that may assist individuals with disabilities, such as emotional support/companion animals, and their status under Fair Housing laws.

The ADA defines service animals as “dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.” The one exception to the “dog” rule is, in some cases, miniature horses (we will go into great depth on this exception in a future post).  This provision allows a person with a disability to be accompanied by his or her service dog or miniature horse to any place that members of the public are allowed to go such as restaurants, theatres, retail shops, grocery stores, etc. Service animals must be individually trained, housebroken, and under the handler’s control at all times when out in public.

In addition to service animals as defined above, certain animals that do not meet the definition of “service animal” under the ADA may be allowed in the housing context. Under the federal Fair Housing Act and the state fairing housing law, persons with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation to keep any assistance animal, including an emotional support animal, in his or her dwelling as an exception to a “no pets” policy.

Emotional Support Animals

Emotional support animals (ESA), sometimes referred to as “comfort animals,” or “companion animals,” are animals whose presence alone helps an individual with a disability. Unlike service animals, ESAs are not trained to perform a task or service. An example would be a dog that is not individually trained to provide a service, but whose companionship helps alleviate its owner’s symptoms of depression.

Emotional support/comfort/companion animals in housing:

  • Do not need to be specially trained.
  • Do not need to perform a service or task.
  • Provide some benefit or alleviation of symptoms to a person with a disability simply by being present.
  • Can be any type of animal that it otherwise legal to possess in MA (cats, birds, ferrets, guinea pigs, etc.).

Housing providers:

  • May require medical documentation that the animal is needed because of a disability if the disability related need is not obvious.
  • May not charge extra fees to the resident for keeping the animal.
  • May charge the tenant for damages caused by the animal in the same way that it would to any other tenant.

Neither service dogs nor emotional support animals may be restricted by any housing provider by breed, size, or weight.  Generally, municipal ordinances that prohibit specific breeds of dogs may not be applied to service dogs or ESAs. Similarly, while an individual housing provider may restrict the breed, size, type, or number of pets a resident may keep in his or her dwelling, exceptions must be considered when the animal(s) is needed due to a disability.

It is important to note that both service animals and ESAs may be denied or asked to be removed in cases where the animal poses a direct threat to health or safety, is not housebroken, causes damage, or otherwise poses an undue hardship on the housing provider.

Assistance Animals

There may be cases where an individual benefits from the assistance of an animal that is trained to perform a service or task but does not meet the definition of “service animal” because it is not a dog or miniature horse.  For example, in Massachusetts, Helping Hands Helper Monkeys in Brookline helps adults with spinal cord injuries and other mobility impairments by providing them, free of charge, with a highly trained Capuchin monkey to help with their daily tasks.

Helping Hands is the only organization of its kind that MOD is aware of and shares a unique and long-standing relationship with state wildlife law enforcement. While animals other than dogs and miniature horses may meet the definition of “assistance animal” under Fair Housing, species that are not legal to possess in Massachusetts may be denied or removed by law enforcement.   Therefore, individuals may not be permitted to possess, or reside with, primates that have not come through Helping Hands, or other wildlife species that may not be kept by members of the general public, even if the animal is needed because of a disability.

Permission and Proof

Unlike in public settings, in the housing context, individuals with an animal that is needed because of a disability must first obtain permission to have the animal in a residence or other places that are not open to the public and do not allow animals.  S/he must request a reasonable accommodation to a ‘no pets policy.’ An individual may be required to provide documentation that the animal is needed due to a disability if the disability-related need is not obvious.  No specific certification or registration is required; a note from a doctor or other provider that documents the connection between the individual’s disability and the need for the animal may suffice. Individuals should be wary of entities that claim to provide service or emotional support animal “certification” or “registration” for a fee.

MOD’s Role

MOD acts as a resource for the disability community, state and local governments, businesses, and housing providers on the issues of service animals, emotional support animals, and other assistance animals.  We seek to educate and inform the public and to support outcomes that lead to enhanced access for persons with disabilities. If you have been denied access because of your service animal, or have been denied a reasonable accommodation to keep an animal needed because of a disability, you may contact us by form or call 800-322-2020.

Your feedback is important! Please take our brief, 5-question survey HERE.

On Twitter? Follow us @Massdisability for updates and more blog posts!

Written By:

Tags: , , , ,

Recent Posts

Americans with Disabilities Act and Disability Rights Laws Training Offerings by Massachusetts Office on Disability posted on May 23

Americans with Disabilities Act and Disability Rights Laws Training Offerings by Massachusetts Office on Disability

Are you a state agency, municipal government, employer or business? If so, you have important obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar Massachusetts laws to your employees, customers, visitors, and the general public who are persons with disabilities. MOD can help to provide training for you and your staff these requirements.

Education goes a long way in avoiding violations that can result in lengthy and costly consequences for your organization. Further, compliance with the ADA and similar laws ensures that persons with disabilities who are qualified employees, valued customers, and members of our communities have equal access to the programs, services, and opportunities available to everyone else.

Frequently Asked Questions: Disability Benefits in Massachusetts posted on May 16

Frequently Asked Questions: Disability Benefits in Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD) provides general information on benefits and resources available to individuals with disabilities in the Commonwealth. MOD does not administer any benefit programs, but this post addresses common questions we receive regarding such programs.

New Process to Contact Massachusetts Office on Disability posted on May 9

New Process to Contact Massachusetts Office on Disability

MOD provides information, technical assistance, training, and advocacy. MOD does not provide disability benefits or emergency services. MOD answers questions regarding disability rights, access & resources.

Due to recent changes, MOD will no longer have the ability to provide walk-in meetings. Most of the services MOD offers can be provided over the phone or through email.

If you visit MOD’s office and do not have an appointment with a staff member, you will be asked to complete a brief form with your contact information and a staff member will follow up with you shortly.