Warm Weather is here!
With the school year ending around the corner, working parents all over Massachusetts may be starting to think about options for child care, summer camp, and family vacations. We all know how busy the summer can be and many families need to budget for activities for their children. There are many options to explore, but remember that family vacations don’t always have to mean an entire week away (or lots of money). There are plenty of fun activities full of excitement and day trips that children will remember for many years to come!
If you have vacation time in the summer months, this is a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of festivals and fairs that entertain the whole family. Annually, there are many crafts/arts fairs and festivals featuring local produce. If your kids can’t get enough of summer’s sweet harvests, find a local fruit festival through www.pickyourown.org.
After a day at the beach, you may be looking into a few new ideas for day trips. Here are a variety of other fun excursions for you and your family:
· Many local product and food companies offer free tours. Take a local factory tour which can be educational and entertaining for the kids!
· Get a park passport and start exploring some of the 76 state parks in Massachusetts. Bring a picnic lunch and games to play.
· Visit a local farm for a hands-on experience to see, feel and taste agriculture at its source. Many farms hold agriculture fairs with farm animal exhibits, arts and crafts, and fruit and vegetable garden demonstrations.
· Hit the trails and go on a back-to-nature treasure hunt. For example, find different shapes, colors and textures in nature, like rocks, trees, plants and leaves. Take a look at http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/biking.htm for a list of bike paths and trails across the state.
· Set up a water course in your backyard with the sprinkler, a blow-up pool and water balloons. Use your imagination and design fun games and races with the kids!
Enjoy the time off in the warm months with your family. Remember that with a little creativity and willingness to do some research in your community, you can discover a wide range of entertaining and exciting activities that the whole family will enjoy (for little or no cost)!
What are your budget-friendly plans to do this summer with your kids?
Getting to the Root of Some Tasty Vegetables! posted on Sep 29
Fall is in full bloom with its wide selection of root vegetables available to our families! The truth is…these veggies that grow and sprout out of the dirt can be a little intimidating to some of us. They have a thicker skin, longer stems and …Continue Reading Getting to the Root of Some Tasty Vegetables!
A Community Partnership to Prevent Falls Among Older Adults posted on Sep 24
Each year in the United States, one out of every three adults age 65 and over experiences a fall. And in Massachusetts, every 13 minutes (on average) an older adult requires treatment in an emergency room for fall-related injuries. The human toll of these injuries …Continue Reading A Community Partnership to Prevent Falls Among Older Adults
Declutter Your Space, Declutter Your Mind posted on Sep 24
It can be hard to let go of things. Your favorite pair of jeans with big holes in the knees, those dusty books that have been on the shelf for years, or your old Beanie Baby collection from when you were a kid, for example. …Continue Reading Declutter Your Space, Declutter Your Mind