Warm Weather is here!
With the school year ending around the corner, working parents all over Massachusetts may be starting to think about options for child care, summer camp, and family vacations. We all know how busy the summer can be and many families need to budget for activities for their children. There are many options to explore, but remember that family vacations don’t always have to mean an entire week away (or lots of money). There are plenty of fun activities full of excitement and day trips that children will remember for many years to come!
If you have vacation time in the summer months, this is a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of festivals and fairs that entertain the whole family. Annually, there are many crafts/arts fairs and festivals featuring local produce. If your kids can’t get enough of summer’s sweet harvests, find a local fruit festival through www.pickyourown.org.
After a day at the beach, you may be looking into a few new ideas for day trips. Here are a variety of other fun excursions for you and your family:
· Many local product and food companies offer free tours. Take a local factory tour which can be educational and entertaining for the kids!
· Get a park passport and start exploring some of the 76 state parks in Massachusetts. Bring a picnic lunch and games to play.
· Visit a local farm for a hands-on experience to see, feel and taste agriculture at its source. Many farms hold agriculture fairs with farm animal exhibits, arts and crafts, and fruit and vegetable garden demonstrations.
· Hit the trails and go on a back-to-nature treasure hunt. For example, find different shapes, colors and textures in nature, like rocks, trees, plants and leaves. Take a look at http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/biking.htm for a list of bike paths and trails across the state.
· Set up a water course in your backyard with the sprinkler, a blow-up pool and water balloons. Use your imagination and design fun games and races with the kids!
Enjoy the time off in the warm months with your family. Remember that with a little creativity and willingness to do some research in your community, you can discover a wide range of entertaining and exciting activities that the whole family will enjoy (for little or no cost)!
What are your budget-friendly plans to do this summer with your kids?
Water, Water, Everywhere! posted on Jul 22
By Julia Boland & Terri Mendoza Summer’s finally here, and the temperatures steadily rising, it is important to stay hydrated while soaking up the sun’s rays. Water makes up about 60% of your body weight, so whether you’re riding a bike, playing sports, or …Continue Reading Water, Water, Everywhere!
The Heat is On – But Heat Illness is Preventable! posted on Jul 20
Summertime… It’s time for fun in the sun, especially after such a brutal winter! But in addition to fun, summer often brings intense heat waves. According to the CDC, on average, extreme heat causes more U.S. deaths than other natural disasters. Heat safety is clearly …Continue Reading The Heat is On – But Heat Illness is Preventable!
Melon Mania posted on Jul 8
Now that we’ve all finally recovered from the historic last winter, we can fully embrace the summer season and all that it has to offer – think farmers’ markets! We now have the option of enjoying time outdoors and checking out all the local produce …Continue Reading Melon Mania