Warm Weather is here!
With the school year ending around the corner, working parents all over Massachusetts may be starting to think about options for child care, summer camp, and family vacations. We all know how busy the summer can be and many families need to budget for activities for their children. There are many options to explore, but remember that family vacations don’t always have to mean an entire week away (or lots of money). There are plenty of fun activities full of excitement and day trips that children will remember for many years to come!
If you have vacation time in the summer months, this is a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of festivals and fairs that entertain the whole family. Annually, there are many crafts/arts fairs and festivals featuring local produce. If your kids can’t get enough of summer’s sweet harvests, find a local fruit festival through www.pickyourown.org.
After a day at the beach, you may be looking into a few new ideas for day trips. Here are a variety of other fun excursions for you and your family:
· Many local product and food companies offer free tours. Take a local factory tour which can be educational and entertaining for the kids!
· Get a park passport and start exploring some of the 76 state parks in Massachusetts. Bring a picnic lunch and games to play.
· Visit a local farm for a hands-on experience to see, feel and taste agriculture at its source. Many farms hold agriculture fairs with farm animal exhibits, arts and crafts, and fruit and vegetable garden demonstrations.
· Hit the trails and go on a back-to-nature treasure hunt. For example, find different shapes, colors and textures in nature, like rocks, trees, plants and leaves. Take a look at http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/biking.htm for a list of bike paths and trails across the state.
· Set up a water course in your backyard with the sprinkler, a blow-up pool and water balloons. Use your imagination and design fun games and races with the kids!
Enjoy the time off in the warm months with your family. Remember that with a little creativity and willingness to do some research in your community, you can discover a wide range of entertaining and exciting activities that the whole family will enjoy (for little or no cost)!
What are your budget-friendly plans to do this summer with your kids?
Memorable Milestones! posted on Aug 30
Watching children learn and develop can be a wonderful thing and it is common for parents to wonder whether their child is developing as expected. Along with keeping up with regular doctor visits, there are several different ”milestones,” things that most children do by certain …Continue Reading Memorable Milestones!
Ready for School? Check Those Vaccine Records! posted on Aug 29
It’s Back To School season so make sure your child is up to date on all recommended vaccines. Getting vaccinated according to the recommended immunization schedule is one of the most important things a parent can do to protect their child’s health. Diseases can quickly …Continue Reading Ready for School? Check Those Vaccine Records!
Getting on the Kale Kick! posted on Aug 24
Some food trends come and go (sun dried tomatoes, anyone?), but hopefully kale is here to stay! The popularity of this leafy green has exploded over the last several years, and with good reason. Low in calories and rich in vitamins C, A and K, …Continue Reading Getting on the Kale Kick!