Posted by: Lynn Beattie, WIC Nutritionist
October 31st is the one day out of the year where eating unlimited amounts of candy seems to be acceptable. Kids (and even adults) take full of advantage of this day. But how about starting a new tradition this year? I promise you won’t have to trade in all of your candy, but I challenge you to try healthier alternatives. Trick yourself into choosing treats with a healthy twist and focus on the other fun aspects of this spooky holiday.
• When did candy become the only treat on Halloween? Think stickers, colorful pencils, spooky rings and bracelets, or any other festive toy.
• Trade in the king size bar for two miniature ones. For an added bonus, choose the dark chocolate variety of your favorite candy. Surprisingly, small portions of dark chocolate provide many health benefits.
• Get kids moving! Have a ghost sack race, bob for apples, pin the nose on the witch, or have a costume parade.
• Try handing out granola bars, snack-size pretzels, popcorn balls, dried fruit or small bags of trail mix. You could be the most popular house on the block!
• Tap into your creative side and get crafty! Paint a pumpkin, make creepy masks out of paper plates, or transform your front door into a haunted house gate.
• On Halloween night, make sure kids get a healthy dinner before they venture off. This will reinforce the idea that candy is a treat, and not dinner.
Enjoy the holiday fun and remember that moderation is key! Set limits on how many pieces of candy your family eats and offer it after dinner.
Give these tips a try and let us know how it goes. How do you plan to celebrate this chilling day?
Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day posted on Oct 27
Perhaps your morning routine goes something like this: Jolt awake with a beeping alarm, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and rush out the door to make your train and get to work on time. This is quite a stressful …Continue Reading Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day
Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas! posted on Oct 27
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you ready?? As a parent, it’s hard not to think of candy this time of year, and your kids are probably eager to go trick or treating, or to welcome boys and ghouls (sorry) to your house. But …Continue Reading Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas!
FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY? posted on Oct 24
If you’re like me, and most other people, you celebrate food day each and every day. So, it’s natural to ask, “What’s the deal with Food Day?” It’s not a reminder to eat (yours truly has never needed a reminder!), but a chance to appreciate …Continue Reading FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY?