There was a time when it was the norm for families to end the day by sharing a meal together. For some families, this tradition lives on. But for others, it’s becoming more and more difficult to have a family meal together because of hectic schedules. It can be the highlight of the day when you are able to accomplish this feat!
Keeping mealtimes enjoyable is an important part of making the most of this time together as a family. Here are some helpful ideas:
· You may need to schedule family meals. Check your family’s calendar and choose a day and time when everyone can be there.
· Make a list before going food shopping of the items that you need for the family meal, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and protein for a well-balanced meal that your family needs to grow and stay healthy.
· Involve all the family members in the meal preparations. Even your three-year-old can become involved! Assign your littler ones simple tasks such as putting plates on the table, pouring the drinks, and clearing off the table after dinner. If you have older kids, they may be able to pitch in even more, such as getting ingredients, washing produce, and mixing and stirring the food.
· Be a role model for your family. Be upbeat and pleasant as you prepare the meal. If your children see you being pleasant it can rub off on them and put everyone in a good mood!
· Set a good example by saying “please” and thanking them for their help.
· Make it enjoyable. Leave serious discussions for another time.
· Family meals are for listening to each other, sharing the day’s stories, comfort, and support. This becomes even more important as kids get older.
Here’s another tip — no TV, no computers, and no cell phones at the table! This is time to reconnect with the family. Do family meals matter to you? Tell us what you think.
Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day posted on Oct 27
Perhaps your morning routine goes something like this: Jolt awake with a beeping alarm, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and rush out the door to make your train and get to work on time. This is quite a stressful …Continue Reading Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day
Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas! posted on Oct 27
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you ready?? As a parent, it’s hard not to think of candy this time of year, and your kids are probably eager to go trick or treating, or to welcome boys and ghouls (sorry) to your house. But …Continue Reading Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas!
FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY? posted on Oct 24
If you’re like me, and most other people, you celebrate food day each and every day. So, it’s natural to ask, “What’s the deal with Food Day?” It’s not a reminder to eat (yours truly has never needed a reminder!), but a chance to appreciate …Continue Reading FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY?