There was a time when it was the norm for families to end the day by sharing a meal together. For some families, this tradition lives on. But for others, it’s becoming more and more difficult to have a family meal together because of hectic schedules. It can be the highlight of the day when you are able to accomplish this feat!
Keeping mealtimes enjoyable is an important part of making the most of this time together as a family. Here are some helpful ideas:
· You may need to schedule family meals. Check your family’s calendar and choose a day and time when everyone can be there.
· Make a list before going food shopping of the items that you need for the family meal, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and protein for a well-balanced meal that your family needs to grow and stay healthy.
· Involve all the family members in the meal preparations. Even your three-year-old can become involved! Assign your littler ones simple tasks such as putting plates on the table, pouring the drinks, and clearing off the table after dinner. If you have older kids, they may be able to pitch in even more, such as getting ingredients, washing produce, and mixing and stirring the food.
· Be a role model for your family. Be upbeat and pleasant as you prepare the meal. If your children see you being pleasant it can rub off on them and put everyone in a good mood!
· Set a good example by saying “please” and thanking them for their help.
· Make it enjoyable. Leave serious discussions for another time.
· Family meals are for listening to each other, sharing the day’s stories, comfort, and support. This becomes even more important as kids get older.
Here’s another tip — no TV, no computers, and no cell phones at the table! This is time to reconnect with the family. Do family meals matter to you? Tell us what you think.
Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014 posted on Nov 21
This week’s flu report indicates that rates of flu-like illness remained relatively stable as compared to last week’s numbers. It’s safe to say that we’ll see these rates rise in the coming weeks and months – and with the holiday season approaching, now’s a great time …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014
The Holidays Are Fast Approaching! posted on Nov 18
The holiday season brings a lot of fun, but can be stressful at times. Try focusing on seeing things through your child’s eyes. Chances are the traditions and memories you make are what children will grow up to remember, not the gifts or fancy meals. …Continue Reading The Holidays Are Fast Approaching!
Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014 posted on Nov 17
The latest weekly flu report shows an increase in the rate of flu-like illness in Massachusetts over the past seven days. This is to be expected at this time of year in New England, and it’s a great reminder that if you haven’t gotten vaccinated yet, there …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014