Posted by: Terri Mendoza, WIC Nutrtionist
Many women have a hard time getting moving again with a new baby in the house. With the weather finally warming up and May being National Physical Fitness & Sports Month, it’s the perfect time to start. Getting exercise after you have your baby is important for your health and will help you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. It’s important to talk to your doctor to find out when it’s safe to start exercising again. Once you get the okay, start by taking 10-15 minute walks outside or around the house. Here are some other ideas:
· Meet up with other new moms and take your strollers to the park or the mall.
· Use an exercise DVD, or find an exercise video on the Internet if you’re at home with the baby. Dance (not too fast!) around the house with your baby.
· If you’re at work or school, take a 20-minute walk during your lunch break.
· Download an exercise app on your smartphone.
It’s also important for babies to get their own kind of exercise. Playing with your baby will help him or her to develop strong muscles which will be great for crawling and walking. Here are some ideas for playing with your baby:
· Have tummy time with your baby. Hold your baby on your chest while you’re leaning back or place your baby on his stomach on a firm, safe surface, such as a blanket on the floor. This helps with the development of back and neck muscles. Get down on the blanket with your baby. It’s a great way to connect with your baby during playtime. Around 6-8 months, your baby may be crawling. Let your baby crawl on a blanket outdoors. Find a shady area to keep your baby out of direct sunlight.
· Play with bubbles, rattles, soft blocks, or even household items like plastic bowls, cups, or empty boxes.
Now that the nice weather is finally here, you’ll be sure to think of other ways to be active and enjoy the outdoors. Let us know what your favorite activities are!
Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day posted on Oct 27
Perhaps your morning routine goes something like this: Jolt awake with a beeping alarm, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and rush out the door to make your train and get to work on time. This is quite a stressful …Continue Reading Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day
Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas! posted on Oct 27
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you ready?? As a parent, it’s hard not to think of candy this time of year, and your kids are probably eager to go trick or treating, or to welcome boys and ghouls (sorry) to your house. But …Continue Reading Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas!
FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY? posted on Oct 24
If you’re like me, and most other people, you celebrate food day each and every day. So, it’s natural to ask, “What’s the deal with Food Day?” It’s not a reminder to eat (yours truly has never needed a reminder!), but a chance to appreciate …Continue Reading FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY?