Posted by: Terri Mendoza, WIC Nutrtionist
Many women have a hard time getting moving again with a new baby in the house. With the weather finally warming up and May being National Physical Fitness & Sports Month, it’s the perfect time to start. Getting exercise after you have your baby is important for your health and will help you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. It’s important to talk to your doctor to find out when it’s safe to start exercising again. Once you get the okay, start by taking 10-15 minute walks outside or around the house. Here are some other ideas:
· Meet up with other new moms and take your strollers to the park or the mall.
· Use an exercise DVD, or find an exercise video on the Internet if you’re at home with the baby. Dance (not too fast!) around the house with your baby.
· If you’re at work or school, take a 20-minute walk during your lunch break.
· Download an exercise app on your smartphone.
It’s also important for babies to get their own kind of exercise. Playing with your baby will help him or her to develop strong muscles which will be great for crawling and walking. Here are some ideas for playing with your baby:
· Have tummy time with your baby. Hold your baby on your chest while you’re leaning back or place your baby on his stomach on a firm, safe surface, such as a blanket on the floor. This helps with the development of back and neck muscles. Get down on the blanket with your baby. It’s a great way to connect with your baby during playtime. Around 6-8 months, your baby may be crawling. Let your baby crawl on a blanket outdoors. Find a shady area to keep your baby out of direct sunlight.
· Play with bubbles, rattles, soft blocks, or even household items like plastic bowls, cups, or empty boxes.
Now that the nice weather is finally here, you’ll be sure to think of other ways to be active and enjoy the outdoors. Let us know what your favorite activities are!
Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me posted on Sep 10
I don’t love working out. Physical activity is not something I crave, it’s something I have to make myself do. It’s always been a struggle for me to keep active, but throughout my life I’ve found things that worked for me: high school sports, going …Continue Reading Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me
Choosing the Right Car Seat! posted on Sep 9
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reports that 3 out of every 4 car seats are used incorrectly. Choosing the right car seat can be overwhelming. There are many models to choose from, such as convertible and “all-in-one” or “3-in-1,” forward-facing, rear-facing, and booster …Continue Reading Choosing the Right Car Seat!
Juntos, estamos listos: Participé – ¡Únase a la preparación! posted on Sep 9
Este 11 de septiembre se conmemora el 13º aniversario de los ataques terroristas en Nueva York, Washington DC, y en la zona aérea de Pennsylvania. También marca el sexto año en que el Día Nacional de Servicio y Memoria ha honrado a aquellos que perdieron …Continue Reading Juntos, estamos listos: Participé – ¡Únase a la preparación!