Posted by: Terri Mendoza, WIC Nutrtionist
Many women have a hard time getting moving again with a new baby in the house. With the weather finally warming up and May being National Physical Fitness & Sports Month, it’s the perfect time to start. Getting exercise after you have your baby is important for your health and will help you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. It’s important to talk to your doctor to find out when it’s safe to start exercising again. Once you get the okay, start by taking 10-15 minute walks outside or around the house. Here are some other ideas:
· Meet up with other new moms and take your strollers to the park or the mall.
· Use an exercise DVD, or find an exercise video on the Internet if you’re at home with the baby. Dance (not too fast!) around the house with your baby.
· If you’re at work or school, take a 20-minute walk during your lunch break.
· Download an exercise app on your smartphone.
It’s also important for babies to get their own kind of exercise. Playing with your baby will help him or her to develop strong muscles which will be great for crawling and walking. Here are some ideas for playing with your baby:
· Have tummy time with your baby. Hold your baby on your chest while you’re leaning back or place your baby on his stomach on a firm, safe surface, such as a blanket on the floor. This helps with the development of back and neck muscles. Get down on the blanket with your baby. It’s a great way to connect with your baby during playtime. Around 6-8 months, your baby may be crawling. Let your baby crawl on a blanket outdoors. Find a shady area to keep your baby out of direct sunlight.
· Play with bubbles, rattles, soft blocks, or even household items like plastic bowls, cups, or empty boxes.
Now that the nice weather is finally here, you’ll be sure to think of other ways to be active and enjoy the outdoors. Let us know what your favorite activities are!
Preparing and Packing for Your Next Picnic! posted on May 26
It’s finally that time of year where you can bring your family outdoors to enjoy the warm and sunny weather! Having a picnic with your family and friends is a great way to enjoy a meal, try new foods, and be outdoors. Plus, packing …Continue Reading Preparing and Packing for Your Next Picnic!
Weekly Flu Report, May 20, 2016 posted on May 20
Rates of flu-like illness continued to decline over the past seven days, according the latest weekly flu report. The report can be viewed here.
Snacking Made Easy… But Is It Too Easy? posted on May 16
By: Rachel Colchamiro and Louisa Paine My kids haven’t been toddlers in many years, but I am lucky to have a few nieces and nephews to enjoy watching go through that stage all over again. As a nutritionist, I probably pay more attention to food …Continue Reading Snacking Made Easy… But Is It Too Easy?