Did you know that each year an average of 24,000 children end up in the emergency department due to injuries and falls from shopping carts? A recent study found that between 1990 and 2011, more than 530,000 children visited the emergency department for a shopping cart-related injury. About 78% of these injuries were sustained to the head, resulting in concussions and internal damage. Take care to make sure your child is safe and secure in the shopping cart while you’re strolling the aisles, using these tips:
- Do not leave your child unattended, under any circumstances
- Always use a shopping cart safety belt and make sure your child is securely strapped in
- Bring your own shopping cart safety belt, if necessary. Safety belts are available at baby stores along with shopping cart seat covers
- Only place your child in the shopping cart seat. Do not put your child in the shopping cart itself
- Never place infant carriers or car seats on top of a shopping cart (These carts were not designed to accommodate a carrier or car seat)
- Avoid shopping carts with broken or missing safety belts. If you come across a cart with a missing or broken safety belt, report it to the store manager.
- Do not let older children hang from shopping carts
Wherever you take your child, his or her safety is your utmost concern. Following these tips will help you prevent serious injuries and avoid a trip to the emergency department.
For more tips on injury prevention, visit www.mass.gov/dph/injury
Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado posted on Sep 2
Em Massachusetts, as emergências não são algo estranho. Apenas nos últimos anos, aconteceu de tudo: enchentes, tempestades de neve, incidentes com materiais tóxicos e interrupções no abastecimento de água. O que aprendemos com tudo isso é que os indivíduos, famílias e comunidades que se organizam …Continue Reading Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado
Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo posted on Sep 2
Aquí en Massachusetts no somos ajenos a las situaciones de emergencia – sólo en los últimos años hemos experimentado todo, desde inundaciones y tormentas de nieve a incidentes con materiales peligrosos e interrupciones en el suministro de agua. A pesar de todo, una cosa que …Continue Reading Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo
Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared posted on Sep 2
Here in Massachusetts we’re no strangers to emergencies – just in the past few years we’ve experienced everything from flooding and blizzards to hazardous materials incidents and water supply disruptions. Through it all, one thing we know for certain is that individuals, families and communities …Continue Reading Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared