Did you know that each year an average of 24,000 children end up in the emergency department due to injuries and falls from shopping carts? A recent study found that between 1990 and 2011, more than 530,000 children visited the emergency department for a shopping cart-related injury. About 78% of these injuries were sustained to the head, resulting in concussions and internal damage. Take care to make sure your child is safe and secure in the shopping cart while you’re strolling the aisles, using these tips:
- Do not leave your child unattended, under any circumstances
- Always use a shopping cart safety belt and make sure your child is securely strapped in
- Bring your own shopping cart safety belt, if necessary. Safety belts are available at baby stores along with shopping cart seat covers
- Only place your child in the shopping cart seat. Do not put your child in the shopping cart itself
- Never place infant carriers or car seats on top of a shopping cart (These carts were not designed to accommodate a carrier or car seat)
- Avoid shopping carts with broken or missing safety belts. If you come across a cart with a missing or broken safety belt, report it to the store manager.
- Do not let older children hang from shopping carts
Wherever you take your child, his or her safety is your utmost concern. Following these tips will help you prevent serious injuries and avoid a trip to the emergency department.
For more tips on injury prevention, visit www.mass.gov/dph/injury
Weekly Flu Report, March 6, 2015 posted on Mar 6
The latest weekly flu report shows that rates of flu-like illness have continued to decline over the past seven days. This is consistent with what would be expected at this time of year. However flu is still circulating in our communities, so please stay home from school or …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, March 6, 2015
Good News – Spring is Coming Soon! posted on Mar 4
“No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.” ~Proverb This winter’s been tough. Mother Nature’s been downright cruel – testing our patience for months now. Some of us have seen more than five feet of snow dumped on us, disrupting routines and …Continue Reading Good News – Spring is Coming Soon!
8 Fun Things To Do When You Are Stuck in the House! posted on Mar 2
It’s early March and winter is slowly coming to an end. We’re getting closer and closer to spring, but not close enough for me! As the saying goes, March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. Knowing that warmer days are …Continue Reading 8 Fun Things To Do When You Are Stuck in the House!