Did you know that each year an average of 24,000 children end up in the emergency department due to injuries and falls from shopping carts? A recent study found that between 1990 and 2011, more than 530,000 children visited the emergency department for a shopping cart-related injury. About 78% of these injuries were sustained to the head, resulting in concussions and internal damage. Take care to make sure your child is safe and secure in the shopping cart while you’re strolling the aisles, using these tips:
- Do not leave your child unattended, under any circumstances
- Always use a shopping cart safety belt and make sure your child is securely strapped in
- Bring your own shopping cart safety belt, if necessary. Safety belts are available at baby stores along with shopping cart seat covers
- Only place your child in the shopping cart seat. Do not put your child in the shopping cart itself
- Never place infant carriers or car seats on top of a shopping cart (These carts were not designed to accommodate a carrier or car seat)
- Avoid shopping carts with broken or missing safety belts. If you come across a cart with a missing or broken safety belt, report it to the store manager.
- Do not let older children hang from shopping carts
Wherever you take your child, his or her safety is your utmost concern. Following these tips will help you prevent serious injuries and avoid a trip to the emergency department.
For more tips on injury prevention, visit www.mass.gov/dph/injury
Women Leading the Way to Wellness posted on Nov 25
Earlier this week I was honored to be recognized at the American Cancer Society’s inaugural Women Leading the Way to Wellness event in Boston. The goal of the event was to focus on the critical role that women play in the prevention and early detection …Continue Reading Women Leading the Way to Wellness
Staying Healthy During Pregnancy! posted on Nov 25
By Suzi Hinck, Graduate Student, Case Western Reserve University and Dietetic Intern, Massachusetts WIC Program Are you pregnant? Congratulations! So am I! It’s an exciting and busy time between thinking of names, buying baby clothes, books, and toys, and thinking ahead to my baby’s arrival. …Continue Reading Staying Healthy During Pregnancy!
10 Foods That Fight Stress posted on Nov 24
The holidays can be a time of fun, joy, and excitement with the festivities, decorations, and for many of us, time off to relax and recharge. The season can also bring mental and physical stress, be it traveling, spending time with family, and/or extra financial …Continue Reading 10 Foods That Fight Stress