From spring until late fall, you can find local growers at farmers’ markets with their canopies and colorful displays of freshly harvested fruits and vegetables. The festive atmosphere and fresh foods will certainly please all your senses–not to mention that a good diet includes at least five fruits and vegetables every day!
Eating seasonal and locally-grown produce helps support local farmers. It’s also a delicious way to cut back on processed foods high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
Here are some helpful shopping tips for visiting farmers’ markets:
• Dress comfortably. Wear walking shoes and be prepared for rain or shine!
• Bring a reusable shopping bag or basket from home to carry your produce.
• Besides using your WIC farmers’ market coupons, the easiest way to pay is with cash, especially small bills and change.
• Bring your kids. Children are more like to try a fruit or vegetable they have chosen. You can even give them an “allowance” and let them pick out a few items themselves.
• Have fun! Farmers love to share recipes and answers questions. Take your time browsing and try picking a new fruit or vegetable to experiment with.
• Visit http://www.mass.gov/agr/massgrown/farmers_markets.htm to find a farmers’ market near you.
What new fruits or veggies will you try? Care to share a good recipe or idea about eating locally? We’d love to hear from you.
Getting on the Kale Kick! posted on Aug 24
Some food trends come and go (sun dried tomatoes, anyone?), but hopefully kale is here to stay! The popularity of this leafy green has exploded over the last several years, and with good reason. Low in calories and rich in vitamins C, A and K, …Continue Reading Getting on the Kale Kick!
Highlights of the August 23rd Public Health Council Meeting posted on Aug 23
This month’s meeting of the Public Health Council featured a series of Determination of Need (DoN) requests, informational updates on the status of various pending amendments to regulations, final votes on other amendments to regulations, and a pair of informational presentations on pressing public health …Continue Reading Highlights of the August 23rd Public Health Council Meeting
Ensure a Healthy Future with Vaccines! posted on Aug 22
Taking them to their sports physical, making sure they eat healthy and get plenty of sleep…you know these are crucial to your child’s health. But did you also you know your preteens and teens need vaccines to stay healthy and protected against serious diseases? There …Continue Reading Ensure a Healthy Future with Vaccines!