From spring until late fall, you can find local growers at farmers’ markets with their canopies and colorful displays of freshly harvested fruits and vegetables. The festive atmosphere and fresh foods will certainly please all your senses–not to mention that a good diet includes at least five fruits and vegetables every day!
Eating seasonal and locally-grown produce helps support local farmers. It’s also a delicious way to cut back on processed foods high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
Here are some helpful shopping tips for visiting farmers’ markets:
• Dress comfortably. Wear walking shoes and be prepared for rain or shine!
• Bring a reusable shopping bag or basket from home to carry your produce.
• Besides using your WIC farmers’ market coupons, the easiest way to pay is with cash, especially small bills and change.
• Bring your kids. Children are more like to try a fruit or vegetable they have chosen. You can even give them an “allowance” and let them pick out a few items themselves.
• Have fun! Farmers love to share recipes and answers questions. Take your time browsing and try picking a new fruit or vegetable to experiment with.
• Visit http://www.mass.gov/agr/massgrown/farmers_markets.htm to find a farmers’ market near you.
What new fruits or veggies will you try? Care to share a good recipe or idea about eating locally? We’d love to hear from you.
Women Leading the Way to Wellness posted on Nov 25
Earlier this week I was honored to be recognized at the American Cancer Society’s inaugural Women Leading the Way to Wellness event in Boston. The goal of the event was to focus on the critical role that women play in the prevention and early detection …Continue Reading Women Leading the Way to Wellness
Staying Healthy During Pregnancy! posted on Nov 25
By Suzi Hinck, Graduate Student, Case Western Reserve University and Dietetic Intern, Massachusetts WIC Program Are you pregnant? Congratulations! So am I! It’s an exciting and busy time between thinking of names, buying baby clothes, books, and toys, and thinking ahead to my baby’s arrival. …Continue Reading Staying Healthy During Pregnancy!
10 Foods That Fight Stress posted on Nov 24
The holidays can be a time of fun, joy, and excitement with the festivities, decorations, and for many of us, time off to relax and recharge. The season can also bring mental and physical stress, be it traveling, spending time with family, and/or extra financial …Continue Reading 10 Foods That Fight Stress