From spring until late fall, you can find local growers at farmers’ markets with their canopies and colorful displays of freshly harvested fruits and vegetables. The festive atmosphere and fresh foods will certainly please all your senses–not to mention that a good diet includes at least five fruits and vegetables every day!
Eating seasonal and locally-grown produce helps support local farmers. It’s also a delicious way to cut back on processed foods high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
Here are some helpful shopping tips for visiting farmers’ markets:
• Dress comfortably. Wear walking shoes and be prepared for rain or shine!
• Bring a reusable shopping bag or basket from home to carry your produce.
• Besides using your WIC farmers’ market coupons, the easiest way to pay is with cash, especially small bills and change.
• Bring your kids. Children are more like to try a fruit or vegetable they have chosen. You can even give them an “allowance” and let them pick out a few items themselves.
• Have fun! Farmers love to share recipes and answers questions. Take your time browsing and try picking a new fruit or vegetable to experiment with.
• Visit http://www.mass.gov/agr/massgrown/farmers_markets.htm to find a farmers’ market near you.
What new fruits or veggies will you try? Care to share a good recipe or idea about eating locally? We’d love to hear from you.
Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014 posted on Nov 21
This week’s flu report indicates that rates of flu-like illness remained relatively stable as compared to last week’s numbers. It’s safe to say that we’ll see these rates rise in the coming weeks and months – and with the holiday season approaching, now’s a great time …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014
The Holidays Are Fast Approaching! posted on Nov 18
The holiday season brings a lot of fun, but can be stressful at times. Try focusing on seeing things through your child’s eyes. Chances are the traditions and memories you make are what children will grow up to remember, not the gifts or fancy meals. …Continue Reading The Holidays Are Fast Approaching!
Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014 posted on Nov 17
The latest weekly flu report shows an increase in the rate of flu-like illness in Massachusetts over the past seven days. This is to be expected at this time of year in New England, and it’s a great reminder that if you haven’t gotten vaccinated yet, there …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014