From spring until late fall, you can find local growers at farmers’ markets with their canopies and colorful displays of freshly harvested fruits and vegetables. The festive atmosphere and fresh foods will certainly please all your senses–not to mention that a good diet includes at least five fruits and vegetables every day!
Eating seasonal and locally-grown produce helps support local farmers. It’s also a delicious way to cut back on processed foods high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
Here are some helpful shopping tips for visiting farmers’ markets:
• Dress comfortably. Wear walking shoes and be prepared for rain or shine!
• Bring a reusable shopping bag or basket from home to carry your produce.
• Besides using your WIC farmers’ market coupons, the easiest way to pay is with cash, especially small bills and change.
• Bring your kids. Children are more like to try a fruit or vegetable they have chosen. You can even give them an “allowance” and let them pick out a few items themselves.
• Have fun! Farmers love to share recipes and answers questions. Take your time browsing and try picking a new fruit or vegetable to experiment with.
• Visit http://www.mass.gov/agr/massgrown/farmers_markets.htm to find a farmers’ market near you.
What new fruits or veggies will you try? Care to share a good recipe or idea about eating locally? We’d love to hear from you.
Do You Have a Picky Eater in the Family? posted on Aug 25
By Jennifer Navaroli, RD, LDN and Kaitlin Barragan, RD, LDN “No broccoli for me! I don’t want anything green!” Sound familiar? Picky eating is a common frustration that many parents may struggle with at one point or another. Some may worry that their child is …Continue Reading Do You Have a Picky Eater in the Family?
Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate Your Child posted on Aug 24
As a parent, you want to do what is best for your child. You’re probably aware of the importance of car seats, baby gates and other ways to keep kids safe. But did you know that one of the best ways to protect your child …Continue Reading Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate Your Child
Vaccines: Not Just for Kids! posted on Aug 17
You might think that vaccines are only for children – but in truth they’re valuable for adults as well. Are you one of the millions of adults not aware of the vaccines you need? There are many reasons why adults should be vaccinated. Each year, …Continue Reading Vaccines: Not Just for Kids!