Tom Lyons, Department of Public Health
Following-up on yesterday's announcement of an H1N1 preparedness toolkit for business, the Center's for Disease Control and Prevention today released guidance for colleges and university to prepare for a resurgence of H1N1 flu. The announcement of a college and university toolkit was made jointly by HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan. The toolkit offers information on resources to help students, faculty and staff implement CDC's guidance for Responses to Influenza for Institutions of Higher Education during the 2009-2010 Academic Year.
The toolkit includes;
- fact sheets for institutions, students, faculty and staff
- posters to encourage good hand hygiene and cough etiquette
- a template letter or email for students, staff and parents
- template announcements on the flu for college and university communities
- text messages on flu for students, faculty, staff and parents
The information released today also provides guidance for colleges and universities on strategies to encourage self isolation of sick individuals on campus, and on additional steps to take should the current flu situation become more severe. The information released today can be found at www.flu.gov, or at www.Ed.gov.