Lani Telian, Department of Public Health
After months of being cooped up in the office, we’re finally free to venture out into the fresh air and enjoy the warmer weather. If you’re like me, though, you forget to take a few minutes during the work day for yourself. Its amazing how taking a brief 10- minute walk outside can give you the boost you need to finish out the day.
Celebrated the third Wednesday in May, National Employee Health and Fitness Day reminds us of the importance of a healthy workplace. A healthier workforce is good for both employers and employees, and the results can be large considering the majority of adults spend most of their waking hours at work.
No matter how big or small the company; there are lots of ways to promote employee health. Implementing a worksite wellness program is a step in the right direction for creating an environment that encourages employees to be healthy while at work. In addition to improving health, worksite wellness programs have proven to reduce sick leave, absenteeism, health care costs and workers’ compensation.
Other ways to celebrate Employee Health and Fitness at your worksite include:
• Offering an on-site health education class, lecture or workshop on nutrition or healthy eating, tobacco cessation, stress management, or weight management.
• Hosting a healthy brown bag lunch or a healthy recipe swap
• Encouraging employees to take the stairs
• Implementing the Healthy Eating Guidelines for use at events and meetings
• Starting a regular company walk or race
• Securing on-site bicycle storage
• Subsidizing membership to off-site physical activity facility directly or though a health plan
Talk to your coworkers, plan something that works for you, and then let us know: what will you do to celebrate?