Posted by: Lynn Beattie – WIC Nutritionist
Superbowl Sunday is fast approaching and is always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Do you find your New Year’s resolutions go out to the door on this day? Try to remember that not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Whether I am hosting the party or going as a guest, I always make a healthy option for the big game. This way, I can enjoy the delicious hors d'oeuvres without the guilt.
Here are some tips and possibilities for healthy munchies:
There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or low-fat plain Greek yogurt. Mix 1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon of dried dill, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. Serve with baked chips and a large plate of cut veggies (carrots sticks, celery, bell peppers, grape tomatoes and cucumbers).
- Make fresh salsa and add black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peaches and mangos for a sweeter variation.
- Create your own snack mixes with WIC cereal, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and roasted unsalted nuts.
- Bake chicken tenders with whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with herbs.
- Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
- Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Weekly Flu Report, February 27, 2015 posted on Feb 27
The latest weekly flu report shows another drop in rates of flu-like illness in Massachusetts over the past seven days. Even as these rates decline, it’s still fair to say that flu continues to circulate – which is why it’s so important to do what …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 27, 2015
Joining the Conversation on Public Health posted on Feb 24
As a physician working in the Commonwealth over the past twenty years, I’ve seen the groundbreaking – and lifesaving – role that the Department of Public Health has played on the front lines of protecting the well-being of all Massachusetts residents. It is an incredible …Continue Reading Joining the Conversation on Public Health