Posted by: Lynn Beattie – WIC Nutritionist
Superbowl Sunday is fast approaching and is always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Do you find your New Year’s resolutions go out to the door on this day? Try to remember that not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Whether I am hosting the party or going as a guest, I always make a healthy option for the big game. This way, I can enjoy the delicious hors d'oeuvres without the guilt.
Here are some tips and possibilities for healthy munchies:
There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or low-fat plain Greek yogurt. Mix 1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon of dried dill, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. Serve with baked chips and a large plate of cut veggies (carrots sticks, celery, bell peppers, grape tomatoes and cucumbers).
- Make fresh salsa and add black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peaches and mangos for a sweeter variation.
- Create your own snack mixes with WIC cereal, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and roasted unsalted nuts.
- Bake chicken tenders with whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with herbs.
- Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
- Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Weekly Flu Report, February 5, 2016 posted on Feb 5
The latest weekly flu report shows that flu rates rose again in Massachusetts during the past 7 days. It’s absolutely not too late to get a flu shot if you haven’t already. As a matter of fact, we can expect flu to continue to circulate in …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 5, 2016
Year of the Monkey posted on Feb 2
Chinese New Year is the most important holiday of the Chinese calendar. It is usually celebrated for 15 days and is a time to reunite with family, feast on good food and relax from work. As a Chinese American, it is important to me …Continue Reading Year of the Monkey
Tips for Surviving the Winter Blahs posted on Feb 2
Winter can be a hard time for many of us. The days are shorter, darkness sets in early, and oh yeah, it’s freezing out there! The change in seasons wreaks havoc on many people. Some people feel more tired, sad, or anxious when there are …Continue Reading Tips for Surviving the Winter Blahs