Posted by: Lynn Beattie – WIC Nutritionist
Superbowl Sunday is fast approaching and is always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Do you find your New Year’s resolutions go out to the door on this day? Try to remember that not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Whether I am hosting the party or going as a guest, I always make a healthy option for the big game. This way, I can enjoy the delicious hors d'oeuvres without the guilt.
Here are some tips and possibilities for healthy munchies:
There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or low-fat plain Greek yogurt. Mix 1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon of dried dill, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. Serve with baked chips and a large plate of cut veggies (carrots sticks, celery, bell peppers, grape tomatoes and cucumbers).
- Make fresh salsa and add black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peaches and mangos for a sweeter variation.
- Create your own snack mixes with WIC cereal, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and roasted unsalted nuts.
- Bake chicken tenders with whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with herbs.
- Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
- Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Weekly Flu Report, May 27, 2016 posted on May 27
Flu rates in Massachusetts continued to decline over the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. This week’s report is the last to be published for the 2015-2016 flu season. Weekly Flu Reports will resume at the outset of the 2016-2017 flu season. …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, May 27, 2016
Preparing and Packing for Your Next Picnic! posted on May 26
It’s finally that time of year where you can bring your family outdoors to enjoy the warm and sunny weather! Having a picnic with your family and friends is a great way to enjoy a meal, try new foods, and be outdoors. Plus, packing …Continue Reading Preparing and Packing for Your Next Picnic!
Weekly Flu Report, May 20, 2016 posted on May 20
Rates of flu-like illness continued to decline over the past seven days, according the latest weekly flu report. The report can be viewed here.