Lauren works with the Safe Routes to School program of the MA Department of Transportation
MassDOT's Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program is partnering with Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, to launch the Bicycling Makes Life Better poster contest. The contest encourages 5th grade students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and their community.
SRTS Outreach Coordinators will select three winners. The first place winner will receive a brand new bike. Second and Third Place winners will also receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then go on to compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and receive an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a MA SRTS Partner location.
- Make it colorful! Use colored pencils, markers, watercolors and crayons. Pieces with items glued to the poster, such as collages, will not be considered for entry.
- Partnering with your school's art teacher or after-school program coordinator is a great way to encourage students to participate.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- The student's first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right-hand corner on the back of their entry.
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
- All entries will be displayed at a post contest location to be announced. Contact your SRTS Outreach Coordinator for more information!
Mail all entries to:
Massachusetts Safe Routes to School
Samantha Fonseca-Moreira, SRTS Statewide Coordinator
10 Park Plaza, Suite 2180
Boston, MA 02116
To see a complete list of contest rules, please visit http://www.sariscyclinggroup.com/poster-contest.
Weekly Flu Report, January 30, 2015 posted on Jan 30
The latest weekly flu report shows another increase in rates of flu-like illness in the Commonwealth, a sign that flu season is in full swing in this part of the country. You can take steps to reduce the spread of flu in our communities through …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, January 30, 2015
Super Bowl Picnic! posted on Jan 26
Our much-beloved New England Patriots are contending for the Super Bowl this Sunday! And the big questions are…who will you watch the game with? What will the best commercial be? And, let’s face it—what goodies are we going to eat? Back in the days before …Continue Reading Super Bowl Picnic!
Weekly Flu Report, January 23, 2015 posted on Jan 23
The latest weekly flu report shows an increase in rates of flu-like illness during the past seven days. Flu season is certainly here in New England – but there are some simple, common-sense steps that you can take to keep from getting or spreading the …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, January 23, 2015