Lani Telian, Department of Public Health
Lani is a Health Communication Specialist for DPH
Picture what you think someone would look like if they were physically fit. You're probably picturing someone who can long run distances, lift heavy weights, and…touch their toes?
Rarely do we consider flexibility a part of being physically fit, but stretching your muscles is an important part of staying healthy. Think of waking up in the morning. Most people yawn and reach for the sky, opening up their chests and arms after a good night of sleep. Our bodies want to be stretched – not only does it feel great, it also increases blood flow to the muscles. Being flexible helps us move, turn, twist, and lift without getting hurt.
Here are some tips for stretching the right way:
- Warm up with light walking for 5-10 minutes before stretching. Don’t stretch muscles when they're cold – that can lead to getting hurt.
- Avoid bouncing while you stretch – this can tear the muscle.
- Challenge yourself. Stretch your muscles as much as you can, but don't push yourself too hard. Realize when your body is telling you it’s being pushed too far.
- Bring movement into your stretch. For example, lift your knees up as you walk.
- Try a yoga class, or find a yoga video to watch online.
- Stretch at least 2-3 times a week! This will help keep you flexible and feeling great all week long.
Weekly Flu Report, February 17, 2017 posted on Feb 17
Rates of flu-like illness have risen over the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet, it’s not too late – there’s still plenty of flu vaccine available. Call your health care provider or local board …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 17, 2017
Love Your Heart This Valentine’s Day! posted on Feb 14
By Eliza Mellion, M.S. This Valentine’s Day, don’t forget that—thanks to the American Heart Association—February is American Heart Month! It can be hard to resist the chocolates, candy hearts, and pink-frosted cupcakes that this holiday brings. While it’s fun to shower our loved ones with …Continue Reading Love Your Heart This Valentine’s Day!
Weekly Flu Report, February 10, 2017 posted on Feb 10
Rates of flu-like illness continued to increase over the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. The good news is that there is still time to protect yourself this flu season by getting a flu shot. There is plenty of vaccine available – …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 10, 2017