Lani Telian, Department of Public Health
Lani is a Health Communication Specialist for DPH
Picture what you think someone would look like if they were physically fit. You're probably picturing someone who can long run distances, lift heavy weights, and…touch their toes?
Rarely do we consider flexibility a part of being physically fit, but stretching your muscles is an important part of staying healthy. Think of waking up in the morning. Most people yawn and reach for the sky, opening up their chests and arms after a good night of sleep. Our bodies want to be stretched – not only does it feel great, it also increases blood flow to the muscles. Being flexible helps us move, turn, twist, and lift without getting hurt.
Here are some tips for stretching the right way:
- Warm up with light walking for 5-10 minutes before stretching. Don’t stretch muscles when they're cold – that can lead to getting hurt.
- Avoid bouncing while you stretch – this can tear the muscle.
- Challenge yourself. Stretch your muscles as much as you can, but don't push yourself too hard. Realize when your body is telling you it’s being pushed too far.
- Bring movement into your stretch. For example, lift your knees up as you walk.
- Try a yoga class, or find a yoga video to watch online.
- Stretch at least 2-3 times a week! This will help keep you flexible and feeling great all week long.
Together We’re Ready: Considerations for Individuals with Access and Functional Needs posted on Sep 16
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is committed to the “Whole Community” approach to emergency management which was initiated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 2011, when FEMA recognized the need for a collective effort on the part of the private sector, community …Continue Reading Together We’re Ready: Considerations for Individuals with Access and Functional Needs
Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me posted on Sep 10
I don’t love working out. Physical activity is not something I crave, it’s something I have to make myself do. It’s always been a struggle for me to keep active, but throughout my life I’ve found things that worked for me: high school sports, going …Continue Reading Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me
Choosing the Right Car Seat! posted on Sep 9
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reports that 3 out of every 4 car seats are used incorrectly. Choosing the right car seat can be overwhelming. There are many models to choose from, such as convertible and “all-in-one” or “3-in-1,” forward-facing, rear-facing, and booster …Continue Reading Choosing the Right Car Seat!