Lani Telian, Department of Public Health
Lani is a Health Communication Specialist for DPH
Picture what you think someone would look like if they were physically fit. You're probably picturing someone who can long run distances, lift heavy weights, and…touch their toes?
Rarely do we consider flexibility a part of being physically fit, but stretching your muscles is an important part of staying healthy. Think of waking up in the morning. Most people yawn and reach for the sky, opening up their chests and arms after a good night of sleep. Our bodies want to be stretched – not only does it feel great, it also increases blood flow to the muscles. Being flexible helps us move, turn, twist, and lift without getting hurt.
Here are some tips for stretching the right way:
- Warm up with light walking for 5-10 minutes before stretching. Don’t stretch muscles when they're cold – that can lead to getting hurt.
- Avoid bouncing while you stretch – this can tear the muscle.
- Challenge yourself. Stretch your muscles as much as you can, but don't push yourself too hard. Realize when your body is telling you it’s being pushed too far.
- Bring movement into your stretch. For example, lift your knees up as you walk.
- Try a yoga class, or find a yoga video to watch online.
- Stretch at least 2-3 times a week! This will help keep you flexible and feeling great all week long.
Promoting the Role of Health in Transportation Planning posted on Aug 21
In June 2009, Governor Deval Patrick signed the Transportation Reform Law, landmark legislation that established the Healthy Transportation Compact. The primary goal of the law was to consolidate all transportation agencies in the Commonwealth and reduce duplicative policies, enhance planning initiatives, improve public health outcomes …Continue Reading Promoting the Role of Health in Transportation Planning
Native Corn posted on Aug 20
Summer in New England When I think of summer — my favorite season, by the way — memories of summers past often come to mind. And my favorite warm-weather memories involve beach time with family, followed by a cookout. For me, there isn’t a better …Continue Reading Native Corn
Children + Farmers’ Markets = Fun posted on Aug 19
Looking for something fun to do with your kids this summer? Take them to a farmers’ market! With more and more markets featuring demonstrations, music and other entertainment, it’s a great family outing. As an added bonus, bringing your children to a farmers’ market may …Continue Reading Children + Farmers’ Markets = Fun