Lani Telian, Department of Public Health
Lani is a Health Communication Specialist for DPH
Picture what you think someone would look like if they were physically fit. You're probably picturing someone who can long run distances, lift heavy weights, and…touch their toes?
Rarely do we consider flexibility a part of being physically fit, but stretching your muscles is an important part of staying healthy. Think of waking up in the morning. Most people yawn and reach for the sky, opening up their chests and arms after a good night of sleep. Our bodies want to be stretched – not only does it feel great, it also increases blood flow to the muscles. Being flexible helps us move, turn, twist, and lift without getting hurt.
Here are some tips for stretching the right way:
- Warm up with light walking for 5-10 minutes before stretching. Don’t stretch muscles when they're cold – that can lead to getting hurt.
- Avoid bouncing while you stretch – this can tear the muscle.
- Challenge yourself. Stretch your muscles as much as you can, but don't push yourself too hard. Realize when your body is telling you it’s being pushed too far.
- Bring movement into your stretch. For example, lift your knees up as you walk.
- Try a yoga class, or find a yoga video to watch online.
- Stretch at least 2-3 times a week! This will help keep you flexible and feeling great all week long.
Getting on the Kale Kick! posted on Aug 24
Some food trends come and go (sun dried tomatoes, anyone?), but hopefully kale is here to stay! The popularity of this leafy green has exploded over the last several years, and with good reason. Low in calories and rich in vitamins C, A and K, …Continue Reading Getting on the Kale Kick!
Highlights of the August 23rd Public Health Council Meeting posted on Aug 23
This month’s meeting of the Public Health Council featured a series of Determination of Need (DoN) requests, informational updates on the status of various pending amendments to regulations, final votes on other amendments to regulations, and a pair of informational presentations on pressing public health …Continue Reading Highlights of the August 23rd Public Health Council Meeting
Ensure a Healthy Future with Vaccines! posted on Aug 22
Taking them to their sports physical, making sure they eat healthy and get plenty of sleep…you know these are crucial to your child’s health. But did you also you know your preteens and teens need vaccines to stay healthy and protected against serious diseases? There …Continue Reading Ensure a Healthy Future with Vaccines!