Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
It’s December and holiday foods are on my mind (and maybe yours too). Making healthy food choices can be tough, especially where festive snacks and meals are everywhere. But, who says all holiday munchies have to be high in fat and sugar? Healthy holiday eating is possible! Here is a list of ideas to help you during the holiday celebrations.
• This season, don’t plan on “blowing it” just to start all over for the New Year. Practice self control during the parties, lunches, and family gatherings. Feel good about the food choices you’re making and portion sizes of treats.
• If you’re hosting or attending a holiday party, try to provide a healthy dish so you know there will be a selection that includes a fruit salad or a vegetable side dish. Use fruits that are in season this winter, such as apricots, pears, kiwi and tangerines. A well prepared vegetable salad is full of nutrients and can be a part of any holiday meal. To top your winter greens, choose a variety of options to pack it with flavor such as dried cranberries, walnuts, and crumbled cheese.
• For healthy delicious desserts, put together options such as angel food cake with fresh berries or strawberries dipped in dark chocolate.
• Don’t drink your calories. Go easy on sugary and/or alcoholic beverages.
• Have a snack before the holiday meal or party. Don’t allow yourself to be too hungry before the celebrations.
• Be active and go for a walk after the meal—anything to get up and move!
Do you have tips for healthy holiday eating? How about suggesting nutrient-packed appetizers, sides and entrees? Let's help each other makeover our traditional holiday recipes into light, healthier ones. Come on, let's have fun with this. We’d love to hear from you!
Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014 posted on Nov 21
This week’s flu report indicates that rates of flu-like illness remained relatively stable as compared to last week’s numbers. It’s safe to say that we’ll see these rates rise in the coming weeks and months – and with the holiday season approaching, now’s a great time …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014
The Holidays Are Fast Approaching! posted on Nov 18
The holiday season brings a lot of fun, but can be stressful at times. Try focusing on seeing things through your child’s eyes. Chances are the traditions and memories you make are what children will grow up to remember, not the gifts or fancy meals. …Continue Reading The Holidays Are Fast Approaching!
Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014 posted on Nov 17
The latest weekly flu report shows an increase in the rate of flu-like illness in Massachusetts over the past seven days. This is to be expected at this time of year in New England, and it’s a great reminder that if you haven’t gotten vaccinated yet, there …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014