Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
It’s December and holiday foods are on my mind (and maybe yours too). Making healthy food choices can be tough, especially where festive snacks and meals are everywhere. But, who says all holiday munchies have to be high in fat and sugar? Healthy holiday eating is possible! Here is a list of ideas to help you during the holiday celebrations.
• This season, don’t plan on “blowing it” just to start all over for the New Year. Practice self control during the parties, lunches, and family gatherings. Feel good about the food choices you’re making and portion sizes of treats.
• If you’re hosting or attending a holiday party, try to provide a healthy dish so you know there will be a selection that includes a fruit salad or a vegetable side dish. Use fruits that are in season this winter, such as apricots, pears, kiwi and tangerines. A well prepared vegetable salad is full of nutrients and can be a part of any holiday meal. To top your winter greens, choose a variety of options to pack it with flavor such as dried cranberries, walnuts, and crumbled cheese.
• For healthy delicious desserts, put together options such as angel food cake with fresh berries or strawberries dipped in dark chocolate.
• Don’t drink your calories. Go easy on sugary and/or alcoholic beverages.
• Have a snack before the holiday meal or party. Don’t allow yourself to be too hungry before the celebrations.
• Be active and go for a walk after the meal—anything to get up and move!
Do you have tips for healthy holiday eating? How about suggesting nutrient-packed appetizers, sides and entrees? Let's help each other makeover our traditional holiday recipes into light, healthier ones. Come on, let's have fun with this. We’d love to hear from you!
Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado posted on Sep 2
Em Massachusetts, as emergências não são algo estranho. Apenas nos últimos anos, aconteceu de tudo: enchentes, tempestades de neve, incidentes com materiais tóxicos e interrupções no abastecimento de água. O que aprendemos com tudo isso é que os indivíduos, famílias e comunidades que se organizam …Continue Reading Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado
Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo posted on Sep 2
Aquí en Massachusetts no somos ajenos a las situaciones de emergencia – sólo en los últimos años hemos experimentado todo, desde inundaciones y tormentas de nieve a incidentes con materiales peligrosos e interrupciones en el suministro de agua. A pesar de todo, una cosa que …Continue Reading Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo
Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared posted on Sep 2
Here in Massachusetts we’re no strangers to emergencies – just in the past few years we’ve experienced everything from flooding and blizzards to hazardous materials incidents and water supply disruptions. Through it all, one thing we know for certain is that individuals, families and communities …Continue Reading Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared