Posted by: Katie Gorodetsky, Immunization Coordinator
Did you know that it is now Massachusetts law that all children have a vision screening before they start kindergarten? Here’s why:
• Untreated vision problems can affect a child’s ability to learn and could even lead to permanent vision loss.
• Children will not complain of poor vision. They do not know what ‘good’ vision is supposed to be.
• A quick and easy way to find out if something is wrong with your child’s vision is through vision screening.
Early vision screening can make a world of difference for your child – at home and at school! What you can do as a parent:
• Watch for early warning signs such as squinting, head tilting, eye rubbing, sensitivity to light, eyes crossing, or repeatedly holding a book or other object too close.
• Make an appointment with your child’s health care provider to screen your child’s vision before he/she starts kindergarten. The vision screening can be done as part of your child’s routine exam.
• If your child does not pass the vision screening, make an appointment with an eye specialist. Your doctor’s office can help you with this.
Remember – some vision problems may not have any warning signs! An early vision screening is the only way to detect a problem before it’s too late.
Make sure your child is screened before he or she starts kindergarten!
Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me posted on Sep 10
I don’t love working out. Physical activity is not something I crave, it’s something I have to make myself do. It’s always been a struggle for me to keep active, but throughout my life I’ve found things that worked for me: high school sports, going …Continue Reading Why Stroller Rides Aren’t for Me
Choosing the Right Car Seat! posted on Sep 9
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reports that 3 out of every 4 car seats are used incorrectly. Choosing the right car seat can be overwhelming. There are many models to choose from, such as convertible and “all-in-one” or “3-in-1,” forward-facing, rear-facing, and booster …Continue Reading Choosing the Right Car Seat!
Juntos, estamos listos: Participé – ¡Únase a la preparación! posted on Sep 9
Este 11 de septiembre se conmemora el 13º aniversario de los ataques terroristas en Nueva York, Washington DC, y en la zona aérea de Pennsylvania. También marca el sexto año en que el Día Nacional de Servicio y Memoria ha honrado a aquellos que perdieron …Continue Reading Juntos, estamos listos: Participé – ¡Únase a la preparación!