Posted by: Katie Gorodetsky, Immunization Coordinator
Did you know that it is now Massachusetts law that all children have a vision screening before they start kindergarten? Here’s why:
• Untreated vision problems can affect a child’s ability to learn and could even lead to permanent vision loss.
• Children will not complain of poor vision. They do not know what ‘good’ vision is supposed to be.
• A quick and easy way to find out if something is wrong with your child’s vision is through vision screening.
Early vision screening can make a world of difference for your child – at home and at school! What you can do as a parent:
• Watch for early warning signs such as squinting, head tilting, eye rubbing, sensitivity to light, eyes crossing, or repeatedly holding a book or other object too close.
• Make an appointment with your child’s health care provider to screen your child’s vision before he/she starts kindergarten. The vision screening can be done as part of your child’s routine exam.
• If your child does not pass the vision screening, make an appointment with an eye specialist. Your doctor’s office can help you with this.
Remember – some vision problems may not have any warning signs! An early vision screening is the only way to detect a problem before it’s too late.
Make sure your child is screened before he or she starts kindergarten!
Sepa, Planifique, Prepárese posted on Sep 3
Muchas personas consideran que las emergencias y los desastres son cosas que les suceden a otras personas, no a ellos. Pero la verdad es que en los últimos años aquí en Massachusetts hemos tenido un buen número de emergencias, y con frecuencia han sido cosas …Continue Reading Sepa, Planifique, Prepárese
Know, Plan, Prepare posted on Sep 2
Many people feel that emergencies and disasters are things that happen to other people, not to themselves. But the fact is that here in Massachusetts, we’ve had our share of emergencies over the past few years and often they’ve been things we were not expecting. …Continue Reading Know, Plan, Prepare
Back to School Already?? Quick & Healthy Lunch Tips! posted on Sep 1
By Cassandra Becker It’s nearing the end of summer and time for that last summer hurrah. But if you are like most families, it’s also time to start getting ready for your kids to go back to school. Summer offered lots of fresh fruits and …Continue Reading Back to School Already?? Quick & Healthy Lunch Tips!