Posted by: Katie Gorodetsky, Immunization Coordinator
Did you know that it is now Massachusetts law that all children have a vision screening before they start kindergarten? Here’s why:
• Untreated vision problems can affect a child’s ability to learn and could even lead to permanent vision loss.
• Children will not complain of poor vision. They do not know what ‘good’ vision is supposed to be.
• A quick and easy way to find out if something is wrong with your child’s vision is through vision screening.
Early vision screening can make a world of difference for your child – at home and at school! What you can do as a parent:
• Watch for early warning signs such as squinting, head tilting, eye rubbing, sensitivity to light, eyes crossing, or repeatedly holding a book or other object too close.
• Make an appointment with your child’s health care provider to screen your child’s vision before he/she starts kindergarten. The vision screening can be done as part of your child’s routine exam.
• If your child does not pass the vision screening, make an appointment with an eye specialist. Your doctor’s office can help you with this.
Remember – some vision problems may not have any warning signs! An early vision screening is the only way to detect a problem before it’s too late.
Make sure your child is screened before he or she starts kindergarten!
Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day posted on Oct 27
Perhaps your morning routine goes something like this: Jolt awake with a beeping alarm, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and rush out the door to make your train and get to work on time. This is quite a stressful …Continue Reading Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day
Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas! posted on Oct 27
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you ready?? As a parent, it’s hard not to think of candy this time of year, and your kids are probably eager to go trick or treating, or to welcome boys and ghouls (sorry) to your house. But …Continue Reading Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas!
FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY? posted on Oct 24
If you’re like me, and most other people, you celebrate food day each and every day. So, it’s natural to ask, “What’s the deal with Food Day?” It’s not a reminder to eat (yours truly has never needed a reminder!), but a chance to appreciate …Continue Reading FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY?