Posted by: Katie Gorodetsky, Immunization Coordinator
Did you know that it is now Massachusetts law that all children have a vision screening before they start kindergarten? Here’s why:
• Untreated vision problems can affect a child’s ability to learn and could even lead to permanent vision loss.
• Children will not complain of poor vision. They do not know what ‘good’ vision is supposed to be.
• A quick and easy way to find out if something is wrong with your child’s vision is through vision screening.
Early vision screening can make a world of difference for your child – at home and at school! What you can do as a parent:
• Watch for early warning signs such as squinting, head tilting, eye rubbing, sensitivity to light, eyes crossing, or repeatedly holding a book or other object too close.
• Make an appointment with your child’s health care provider to screen your child’s vision before he/she starts kindergarten. The vision screening can be done as part of your child’s routine exam.
• If your child does not pass the vision screening, make an appointment with an eye specialist. Your doctor’s office can help you with this.
Remember – some vision problems may not have any warning signs! An early vision screening is the only way to detect a problem before it’s too late.
Make sure your child is screened before he or she starts kindergarten!
Women Leading the Way to Wellness posted on Nov 25
Earlier this week I was honored to be recognized at the American Cancer Society’s inaugural Women Leading the Way to Wellness event in Boston. The goal of the event was to focus on the critical role that women play in the prevention and early detection …Continue Reading Women Leading the Way to Wellness
Staying Healthy During Pregnancy! posted on Nov 25
By Suzi Hinck, Graduate Student, Case Western Reserve University and Dietetic Intern, Massachusetts WIC Program Are you pregnant? Congratulations! So am I! It’s an exciting and busy time between thinking of names, buying baby clothes, books, and toys, and thinking ahead to my baby’s arrival. …Continue Reading Staying Healthy During Pregnancy!
10 Foods That Fight Stress posted on Nov 24
The holidays can be a time of fun, joy, and excitement with the festivities, decorations, and for many of us, time off to relax and recharge. The season can also bring mental and physical stress, be it traveling, spending time with family, and/or extra financial …Continue Reading 10 Foods That Fight Stress