Posted by: Ellen Tolan, WIC Nutritionist
Here we go again! It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to start thinking about what to pack in your child’s lunchbox. Many parents find that being creative and colorful will result in a happy student! It also helps to include your child in some of the food prep and packing.
Here are some fun ideas for lunches:
- Baby carrots or cucumber spears with a side of ranch dressing
- Mini kebabs using toothpicks and fruit chunks (pineapple, strawberries)
- Cheese cubes and grapes
- Sliced strawberries and cream cheese on multigrain bread
- Mini pretzels with hummus
- Watermelon slices, orange wedges and cantaloupe sections
- Apple slices with cinnamon and a dash of lemon juice
- Tuna salad mixed with shredded carrots on whole wheat wrap
- Mini bagel with cream cheese and tomato
- Turkey and sliced avocado on multigrain bread
- Egg salad on whole wheat bread
- Pasta salad with mixed veggies and black/kidney beans
Make it festive! Try to include lots of colors and shapes. Use cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into stars, circles, flowers, and dinosaurs. Include an ice pack to help keep items cold! If you want to make it extra special, add a heartfelt note to your child’s lunch box to brighten their day.
Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014 posted on Nov 21
This week’s flu report indicates that rates of flu-like illness remained relatively stable as compared to last week’s numbers. It’s safe to say that we’ll see these rates rise in the coming weeks and months – and with the holiday season approaching, now’s a great time …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 21, 2014
The Holidays Are Fast Approaching! posted on Nov 18
The holiday season brings a lot of fun, but can be stressful at times. Try focusing on seeing things through your child’s eyes. Chances are the traditions and memories you make are what children will grow up to remember, not the gifts or fancy meals. …Continue Reading The Holidays Are Fast Approaching!
Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014 posted on Nov 17
The latest weekly flu report shows an increase in the rate of flu-like illness in Massachusetts over the past seven days. This is to be expected at this time of year in New England, and it’s a great reminder that if you haven’t gotten vaccinated yet, there …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, November 14, 2014