Posted by: Ellen Tolan, WIC Nutritionist
Here we go again! It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to start thinking about what to pack in your child’s lunchbox. Many parents find that being creative and colorful will result in a happy student! It also helps to include your child in some of the food prep and packing.
Here are some fun ideas for lunches:
- Baby carrots or cucumber spears with a side of ranch dressing
- Mini kebabs using toothpicks and fruit chunks (pineapple, strawberries)
- Cheese cubes and grapes
- Sliced strawberries and cream cheese on multigrain bread
- Mini pretzels with hummus
- Watermelon slices, orange wedges and cantaloupe sections
- Apple slices with cinnamon and a dash of lemon juice
- Tuna salad mixed with shredded carrots on whole wheat wrap
- Mini bagel with cream cheese and tomato
- Turkey and sliced avocado on multigrain bread
- Egg salad on whole wheat bread
- Pasta salad with mixed veggies and black/kidney beans
Make it festive! Try to include lots of colors and shapes. Use cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into stars, circles, flowers, and dinosaurs. Include an ice pack to help keep items cold! If you want to make it extra special, add a heartfelt note to your child’s lunch box to brighten their day.
A Taste of India for Special Occasions! posted on Mar 27
At WIC, we are very fortunate to have so many staff members from different countries and cultures. In this week’s blog, Kinnari Chitalia, RD, LDN, CLC, Nutritionist at the Dorchester North WIC Program, shares a favorite recipe that can be made at any time, but …Continue Reading A Taste of India for Special Occasions!
Working to Eliminate Health Disparities Among LGBT People posted on Mar 27
This week marks the commemoration of National LGBT Health Awareness Week. At DPH this is not only an occasion to celebrate the strides that we as a Commonwealth have made in reducing disparities in health care and health outcomes among people who identify as lesbian, …Continue Reading Working to Eliminate Health Disparities Among LGBT People
Weekly Flu Report, March 27, 2015 posted on Mar 27
The latest weekly flu report shows a slight decrease in rates of flu-like illness in the Commonwealth over the past seven days, which is consistent with what we would expect to see at this point of flu season. Flu does however continue to be present …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, March 27, 2015