Posted by: Ellen Tolan, WIC Nutritionist
Here we go again! It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to start thinking about what to pack in your child’s lunchbox. Many parents find that being creative and colorful will result in a happy student! It also helps to include your child in some of the food prep and packing.
Here are some fun ideas for lunches:
- Baby carrots or cucumber spears with a side of ranch dressing
- Mini kebabs using toothpicks and fruit chunks (pineapple, strawberries)
- Cheese cubes and grapes
- Sliced strawberries and cream cheese on multigrain bread
- Mini pretzels with hummus
- Watermelon slices, orange wedges and cantaloupe sections
- Apple slices with cinnamon and a dash of lemon juice
- Tuna salad mixed with shredded carrots on whole wheat wrap
- Mini bagel with cream cheese and tomato
- Turkey and sliced avocado on multigrain bread
- Egg salad on whole wheat bread
- Pasta salad with mixed veggies and black/kidney beans
Make it festive! Try to include lots of colors and shapes. Use cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into stars, circles, flowers, and dinosaurs. Include an ice pack to help keep items cold! If you want to make it extra special, add a heartfelt note to your child’s lunch box to brighten their day.
Do You Have a Picky Eater in the Family? posted on Aug 25
By Jennifer Navaroli, RD, LDN and Kaitlin Barragan, RD, LDN “No broccoli for me! I don’t want anything green!” Sound familiar? Picky eating is a common frustration that many parents may struggle with at one point or another. Some may worry that their child is …Continue Reading Do You Have a Picky Eater in the Family?
Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate Your Child posted on Aug 24
As a parent, you want to do what is best for your child. You’re probably aware of the importance of car seats, baby gates and other ways to keep kids safe. But did you know that one of the best ways to protect your child …Continue Reading Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate Your Child
Vaccines: Not Just for Kids! posted on Aug 17
You might think that vaccines are only for children – but in truth they’re valuable for adults as well. Are you one of the millions of adults not aware of the vaccines you need? There are many reasons why adults should be vaccinated. Each year, …Continue Reading Vaccines: Not Just for Kids!