Posted by: Ellen Tolan, WIC Nutritionist
Here we go again! It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to start thinking about what to pack in your child’s lunchbox. Many parents find that being creative and colorful will result in a happy student! It also helps to include your child in some of the food prep and packing.
Here are some fun ideas for lunches:
- Baby carrots or cucumber spears with a side of ranch dressing
- Mini kebabs using toothpicks and fruit chunks (pineapple, strawberries)
- Cheese cubes and grapes
- Sliced strawberries and cream cheese on multigrain bread
- Mini pretzels with hummus
- Watermelon slices, orange wedges and cantaloupe sections
- Apple slices with cinnamon and a dash of lemon juice
- Tuna salad mixed with shredded carrots on whole wheat wrap
- Mini bagel with cream cheese and tomato
- Turkey and sliced avocado on multigrain bread
- Egg salad on whole wheat bread
- Pasta salad with mixed veggies and black/kidney beans
Make it festive! Try to include lots of colors and shapes. Use cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into stars, circles, flowers, and dinosaurs. Include an ice pack to help keep items cold! If you want to make it extra special, add a heartfelt note to your child’s lunch box to brighten their day.
Water, Water, Everywhere! posted on Jul 22
By Julia Boland & Terri Mendoza Summer’s finally here, and the temperatures steadily rising, it is important to stay hydrated while soaking up the sun’s rays. Water makes up about 60% of your body weight, so whether you’re riding a bike, playing sports, or …Continue Reading Water, Water, Everywhere!
The Heat is On – But Heat Illness is Preventable! posted on Jul 20
Summertime… It’s time for fun in the sun, especially after such a brutal winter! But in addition to fun, summer often brings intense heat waves. According to the CDC, on average, extreme heat causes more U.S. deaths than other natural disasters. Heat safety is clearly …Continue Reading The Heat is On – But Heat Illness is Preventable!
Melon Mania posted on Jul 8
Now that we’ve all finally recovered from the historic last winter, we can fully embrace the summer season and all that it has to offer – think farmers’ markets! We now have the option of enjoying time outdoors and checking out all the local produce …Continue Reading Melon Mania