Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
February 6th is fast approaching and always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Let’s face it—we all like to enjoy the food whether we care about the game or not.
Do your New Year’s resolutions fly out the window during the Super Bowl? Personally, if I am able to exercise on this day, I allow myself to enjoy the scrumptious appetizers.
Not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Here are some tips whether you are hosting or bringing the munchies:
1. There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Serve with baked chips or a large plate of cut veggies (such as carrots sticks, celery, red peppers, and cucumbers).
2. Make fresh salsa with black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peach and mango for a sweeter variation.
3. Create your own snack mixes with pretzels, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, and roasted nuts.
4. Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
5. Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Weekly Flu Report, February 17, 2017 posted on Feb 17
Rates of flu-like illness have risen over the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet, it’s not too late – there’s still plenty of flu vaccine available. Call your health care provider or local board …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 17, 2017
Love Your Heart This Valentine’s Day! posted on Feb 14
By Eliza Mellion, M.S. This Valentine’s Day, don’t forget that—thanks to the American Heart Association—February is American Heart Month! It can be hard to resist the chocolates, candy hearts, and pink-frosted cupcakes that this holiday brings. While it’s fun to shower our loved ones with …Continue Reading Love Your Heart This Valentine’s Day!
Weekly Flu Report, February 10, 2017 posted on Feb 10
Rates of flu-like illness continued to increase over the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. The good news is that there is still time to protect yourself this flu season by getting a flu shot. There is plenty of vaccine available – …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, February 10, 2017