Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
February 6th is fast approaching and always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Let’s face it—we all like to enjoy the food whether we care about the game or not.
Do your New Year’s resolutions fly out the window during the Super Bowl? Personally, if I am able to exercise on this day, I allow myself to enjoy the scrumptious appetizers.
Not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Here are some tips whether you are hosting or bringing the munchies:
1. There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Serve with baked chips or a large plate of cut veggies (such as carrots sticks, celery, red peppers, and cucumbers).
2. Make fresh salsa with black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peach and mango for a sweeter variation.
3. Create your own snack mixes with pretzels, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, and roasted nuts.
4. Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
5. Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Working Together to Improve Adult Immunization Rates in MA posted on Apr 23
Registration for the 19th Annual Massachusetts Adult Immunization Conference is open! This event, to be held May 20, 2014 at the DCU Center in Worcester, MA attracts professionals from local public health organizations, long-term-care facilities, pharmacies, college health, hospitals, physician practices, community health centers, employers, health …Continue Reading Working Together to Improve Adult Immunization Rates in MA
Weekly Flu Report, April 18, 2014 posted on Apr 18
This week’s flu report shows a late-season increase in the rate of flu-like illness in the state – an indication of the unpredictability of flu and a reminder of the importance of taking simple measures to stop the spread of illness in our homes and communities. …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, April 18, 2014
DPH Kicks Off Town Hall Meetings to Address Underage Drinking and Prescription Drug Abuse posted on Apr 15
Last week, the Department hosted the first in a series of statewide Town Hall Meetings that will examine what can be done to prevent underage drinking and prescription drug abuse in the Commonwealth. Bureau of Substance Abuse Services (BSAS) Director Hilary Jacobs was joined at the …Continue Reading DPH Kicks Off Town Hall Meetings to Address Underage Drinking and Prescription Drug Abuse