Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
February 6th is fast approaching and always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Let’s face it—we all like to enjoy the food whether we care about the game or not.
Do your New Year’s resolutions fly out the window during the Super Bowl? Personally, if I am able to exercise on this day, I allow myself to enjoy the scrumptious appetizers.
Not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Here are some tips whether you are hosting or bringing the munchies:
1. There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Serve with baked chips or a large plate of cut veggies (such as carrots sticks, celery, red peppers, and cucumbers).
2. Make fresh salsa with black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peach and mango for a sweeter variation.
3. Create your own snack mixes with pretzels, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, and roasted nuts.
4. Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
5. Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Ensuring a Safe and Delicious Seafood Harvest in Massachusetts posted on Jul 31
Last weekend I was delighted to join thousands of fellow seafood fans at the Boston Seafood Festival – an annual event which celebrates the bounty of the New England seafood economy. This year I was honored to appear at the opening ceremony at the gracious …Continue Reading Ensuring a Safe and Delicious Seafood Harvest in Massachusetts
Encourage Kids to Play Outdoors! posted on Jul 29
It’s easy to get caught up in day-to-day activities like work, housecleaning and laundry and forget to make time for the things that are much more important to us– like spending quality time with our children. Does this sound familiar? If so, sometimes it’s fun …Continue Reading Encourage Kids to Play Outdoors!
My Journey Back to Watermelon posted on Jul 25
The other night, my parents took me and my fiancé* out to eat. My mom likes to keep the conversation light, and as usual, asked questions like “what was your favorite memory as a kid?” and “what would you rather have, a beach house or …Continue Reading My Journey Back to Watermelon