Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
February 6th is fast approaching and always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Let’s face it—we all like to enjoy the food whether we care about the game or not.
Do your New Year’s resolutions fly out the window during the Super Bowl? Personally, if I am able to exercise on this day, I allow myself to enjoy the scrumptious appetizers.
Not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Here are some tips whether you are hosting or bringing the munchies:
1. There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Serve with baked chips or a large plate of cut veggies (such as carrots sticks, celery, red peppers, and cucumbers).
2. Make fresh salsa with black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peach and mango for a sweeter variation.
3. Create your own snack mixes with pretzels, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, and roasted nuts.
4. Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
5. Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Women Leading the Way to Wellness posted on Nov 25
Earlier this week I was honored to be recognized at the American Cancer Society’s inaugural Women Leading the Way to Wellness event in Boston. The goal of the event was to focus on the critical role that women play in the prevention and early detection …Continue Reading Women Leading the Way to Wellness
Staying Healthy During Pregnancy! posted on Nov 25
By Suzi Hinck, Graduate Student, Case Western Reserve University and Dietetic Intern, Massachusetts WIC Program Are you pregnant? Congratulations! So am I! It’s an exciting and busy time between thinking of names, buying baby clothes, books, and toys, and thinking ahead to my baby’s arrival. …Continue Reading Staying Healthy During Pregnancy!
10 Foods That Fight Stress posted on Nov 24
The holidays can be a time of fun, joy, and excitement with the festivities, decorations, and for many of us, time off to relax and recharge. The season can also bring mental and physical stress, be it traveling, spending time with family, and/or extra financial …Continue Reading 10 Foods That Fight Stress