Lynn DiTaranto, Department of Public Health.
Lynn is a Nutrition Education Specialist with DPH.
February 6th is fast approaching and always a great excuse to get together with friends and family. Let’s face it—we all like to enjoy the food whether we care about the game or not.
Do your New Year’s resolutions fly out the window during the Super Bowl? Personally, if I am able to exercise on this day, I allow myself to enjoy the scrumptious appetizers.
Not all game day fare has to be unhealthy. Here are some tips whether you are hosting or bringing the munchies:
1. There are many dip mix options out there. Blend your own with fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Serve with baked chips or a large plate of cut veggies (such as carrots sticks, celery, red peppers, and cucumbers).
2. Make fresh salsa with black beans and corn for a twist or stir in diced peach and mango for a sweeter variation.
3. Create your own snack mixes with pretzels, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, and roasted nuts.
4. Use whole wheat dough to make homemade pizzas. Top the sauce with low-fat shredded mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and colorful vegetables.
5. Cut up fresh fruit and put them on toothpicks for easy-to-eat fruit kabobs.
What are some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday foods? Let us know what you are planning to make!
Promoting the Role of Health in Transportation Planning posted on Aug 21
In June 2009, Governor Deval Patrick signed the Transportation Reform Law, landmark legislation that established the Healthy Transportation Compact. The primary goal of the law was to consolidate all transportation agencies in the Commonwealth and reduce duplicative policies, enhance planning initiatives, improve public health outcomes …Continue Reading Promoting the Role of Health in Transportation Planning
Native Corn posted on Aug 20
Summer in New England When I think of summer — my favorite season, by the way — memories of summers past often come to mind. And my favorite warm-weather memories involve beach time with family, followed by a cookout. For me, there isn’t a better …Continue Reading Native Corn
Children + Farmers’ Markets = Fun posted on Aug 19
Looking for something fun to do with your kids this summer? Take them to a farmers’ market! With more and more markets featuring demonstrations, music and other entertainment, it’s a great family outing. As an added bonus, bringing your children to a farmers’ market may …Continue Reading Children + Farmers’ Markets = Fun