There’s something special about holding a real, paper and ink book in my hands. I love the feel and smell of the pages, and the fact that there's no blinding glare from a computer or phone screen. It’s just the book and me. From novels, memoirs, and fiction, to adventure, science fiction, and biographies, reading improves your quality of life, and here’s how.
- Getting lost in a book takes your mind off your troubles. Books, especially fiction, can be an escape from life’s challenges.
- Reading improves memory, vocabulary, and analytical thinking skills.
- Books can be very funny. Tell me you couldn’t use more laughter in your life!
- It seems obvious, but reading does, in fact, make you smarter, which increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Reading is an active mental process, as opposed to watching TV. It engages you and challenges you to think, feel, and be creative.
- Reading reduces stress and lowers anxiety. As a quiet activity that forces you to sit down and focus on one task, reading helps to develop self-discipline.
* Challenge yourself to read without doing other activities and distractions, like eating, physical activity, having the TV or music on, or texting.
- Reading helps us experience and appreciate a wide range of emotions and expands our empathy towards others.
- Reading helps us see the world through different perspectives by getting a glimpse into new cultures and places around the world.
- Reading offers a way to go anywhere at anytime, especially if you’re not able to get out and about.
- Reading improves conversations and social connections. As an avid reader, you’ll always have something to talk about!
- Writing is beautiful, and reading offers a way to enjoy and appreciate this creative art form.
- On your daily commute.
- In the evening, instead of watching TV or using the computer.
- With your kids.
- With young people as a volunteer.
Make reading a priority and you’ll find it easier to find time. Check out your local library for a free pass to a limitless world of books and adventures!
Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado posted on Sep 2
Em Massachusetts, as emergências não são algo estranho. Apenas nos últimos anos, aconteceu de tudo: enchentes, tempestades de neve, incidentes com materiais tóxicos e interrupções no abastecimento de água. O que aprendemos com tudo isso é que os indivíduos, famílias e comunidades que se organizam …Continue Reading Juntos Estamos Prontos: Massachusetts Preparado
Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo posted on Sep 2
Aquí en Massachusetts no somos ajenos a las situaciones de emergencia – sólo en los últimos años hemos experimentado todo, desde inundaciones y tormentas de nieve a incidentes con materiales peligrosos e interrupciones en el suministro de agua. A pesar de todo, una cosa que …Continue Reading Juntos, estamos listos: Massachusetts está listo
Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared posted on Sep 2
Here in Massachusetts we’re no strangers to emergencies – just in the past few years we’ve experienced everything from flooding and blizzards to hazardous materials incidents and water supply disruptions. Through it all, one thing we know for certain is that individuals, families and communities …Continue Reading Together We’re Ready: Massachusetts Prepared