There’s something special about holding a real, paper and ink book in my hands. I love the feel and smell of the pages, and the fact that there's no blinding glare from a computer or phone screen. It’s just the book and me. From novels, memoirs, and fiction, to adventure, science fiction, and biographies, reading improves your quality of life, and here’s how.
- Getting lost in a book takes your mind off your troubles. Books, especially fiction, can be an escape from life’s challenges.
- Reading improves memory, vocabulary, and analytical thinking skills.
- Books can be very funny. Tell me you couldn’t use more laughter in your life!
- It seems obvious, but reading does, in fact, make you smarter, which increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Reading is an active mental process, as opposed to watching TV. It engages you and challenges you to think, feel, and be creative.
- Reading reduces stress and lowers anxiety. As a quiet activity that forces you to sit down and focus on one task, reading helps to develop self-discipline.
* Challenge yourself to read without doing other activities and distractions, like eating, physical activity, having the TV or music on, or texting.
- Reading helps us experience and appreciate a wide range of emotions and expands our empathy towards others.
- Reading helps us see the world through different perspectives by getting a glimpse into new cultures and places around the world.
- Reading offers a way to go anywhere at anytime, especially if you’re not able to get out and about.
- Reading improves conversations and social connections. As an avid reader, you’ll always have something to talk about!
- Writing is beautiful, and reading offers a way to enjoy and appreciate this creative art form.
- On your daily commute.
- In the evening, instead of watching TV or using the computer.
- With your kids.
- With young people as a volunteer.
Make reading a priority and you’ll find it easier to find time. Check out your local library for a free pass to a limitless world of books and adventures!
Cinco de Mayo Easy Layered Taco Salad posted on May 5
By Chloe Davis With summer in Boston just around the corner, we have many reasons to celebrate: warm weather, sunshine, farmers’ markets…maybe even summer vacation! Make your fiesta the freshest one out there with this healthy layered taco salad. Have your children help you wash …Continue Reading Cinco de Mayo Easy Layered Taco Salad
Yoga for Overall Health! posted on May 2
Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that originated in India. There are a broad variety of schools, practices, and goals, and yoga is now practiced throughout the world. While the goals and practices of yoga may differ, what is shared is the mental, …Continue Reading Yoga for Overall Health!
Weekly Flu Report, April 29, 2016 posted on Apr 29
Rates of flu-like illness rose slightly in the past seven days, according to the latest weekly flu report. Flu vaccination opportunities continue to be available in your community – call your health care provider or local board of health, or visit a pharmacy near you.