There’s something special about holding a real, paper and ink book in my hands. I love the feel and smell of the pages, and the fact that there's no blinding glare from a computer or phone screen. It’s just the book and me. From novels, memoirs, and fiction, to adventure, science fiction, and biographies, reading improves your quality of life, and here’s how.
- Getting lost in a book takes your mind off your troubles. Books, especially fiction, can be an escape from life’s challenges.
- Reading improves memory, vocabulary, and analytical thinking skills.
- Books can be very funny. Tell me you couldn’t use more laughter in your life!
- It seems obvious, but reading does, in fact, make you smarter, which increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Reading is an active mental process, as opposed to watching TV. It engages you and challenges you to think, feel, and be creative.
- Reading reduces stress and lowers anxiety. As a quiet activity that forces you to sit down and focus on one task, reading helps to develop self-discipline.
* Challenge yourself to read without doing other activities and distractions, like eating, physical activity, having the TV or music on, or texting.
- Reading helps us experience and appreciate a wide range of emotions and expands our empathy towards others.
- Reading helps us see the world through different perspectives by getting a glimpse into new cultures and places around the world.
- Reading offers a way to go anywhere at anytime, especially if you’re not able to get out and about.
- Reading improves conversations and social connections. As an avid reader, you’ll always have something to talk about!
- Writing is beautiful, and reading offers a way to enjoy and appreciate this creative art form.
- On your daily commute.
- In the evening, instead of watching TV or using the computer.
- With your kids.
- With young people as a volunteer.
Make reading a priority and you’ll find it easier to find time. Check out your local library for a free pass to a limitless world of books and adventures!
Getting to the Root of Some Tasty Vegetables! posted on Sep 29
Fall is in full bloom with its wide selection of root vegetables available to our families! The truth is…these veggies that grow and sprout out of the dirt can be a little intimidating to some of us. They have a thicker skin, longer stems and …Continue Reading Getting to the Root of Some Tasty Vegetables!
A Community Partnership to Prevent Falls Among Older Adults posted on Sep 24
Each year in the United States, one out of every three adults age 65 and over experiences a fall. And in Massachusetts, every 13 minutes (on average) an older adult requires treatment in an emergency room for fall-related injuries. The human toll of these injuries …Continue Reading A Community Partnership to Prevent Falls Among Older Adults
Declutter Your Space, Declutter Your Mind posted on Sep 24
It can be hard to let go of things. Your favorite pair of jeans with big holes in the knees, those dusty books that have been on the shelf for years, or your old Beanie Baby collection from when you were a kid, for example. …Continue Reading Declutter Your Space, Declutter Your Mind