There’s something special about holding a real, paper and ink book in my hands. I love the feel and smell of the pages, and the fact that there's no blinding glare from a computer or phone screen. It’s just the book and me. From novels, memoirs, and fiction, to adventure, science fiction, and biographies, reading improves your quality of life, and here’s how.
- Getting lost in a book takes your mind off your troubles. Books, especially fiction, can be an escape from life’s challenges.
- Reading improves memory, vocabulary, and analytical thinking skills.
- Books can be very funny. Tell me you couldn’t use more laughter in your life!
- It seems obvious, but reading does, in fact, make you smarter, which increases self-esteem and confidence.
- Reading is an active mental process, as opposed to watching TV. It engages you and challenges you to think, feel, and be creative.
- Reading reduces stress and lowers anxiety. As a quiet activity that forces you to sit down and focus on one task, reading helps to develop self-discipline.
* Challenge yourself to read without doing other activities and distractions, like eating, physical activity, having the TV or music on, or texting.
- Reading helps us experience and appreciate a wide range of emotions and expands our empathy towards others.
- Reading helps us see the world through different perspectives by getting a glimpse into new cultures and places around the world.
- Reading offers a way to go anywhere at anytime, especially if you’re not able to get out and about.
- Reading improves conversations and social connections. As an avid reader, you’ll always have something to talk about!
- Writing is beautiful, and reading offers a way to enjoy and appreciate this creative art form.
- On your daily commute.
- In the evening, instead of watching TV or using the computer.
- With your kids.
- With young people as a volunteer.
Make reading a priority and you’ll find it easier to find time. Check out your local library for a free pass to a limitless world of books and adventures!
Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day posted on Oct 27
Perhaps your morning routine goes something like this: Jolt awake with a beeping alarm, brush your teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, feed the cat, and rush out the door to make your train and get to work on time. This is quite a stressful …Continue Reading Just 5 Minutes in the Morning for a Smoother Day
Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas! posted on Oct 27
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you ready?? As a parent, it’s hard not to think of candy this time of year, and your kids are probably eager to go trick or treating, or to welcome boys and ghouls (sorry) to your house. But …Continue Reading Sweet and Healthy Halloween Ideas!
FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY? posted on Oct 24
If you’re like me, and most other people, you celebrate food day each and every day. So, it’s natural to ask, “What’s the deal with Food Day?” It’s not a reminder to eat (yours truly has never needed a reminder!), but a chance to appreciate …Continue Reading FOOD DAY? ISN’T EVERY DAY FOOD DAY?