The Patrick-Murray Administration today announced a new online resource that can help Massachusetts residents and visitors to save money on gas and travel. The “Drive Smart and Save” program offers tips for cost-friendly driving techniques that can save travelers money on fuel expenses, improve fuel economy by up to 33 percent, and help reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions.
“Drive Smart and Save” supports GreenDOT, a comprehensive environmental responsibility and sustainability initiative of MassDOT. “Drive Smart and Save” tips include:
• Drive Less — When your travel plans allow, try taking public transportation, walking, biking, or carpooling.
• Set It at 60 — Drive the posted speed limit, or even a bit less on the highway, to see increased fuel economy. Fuel consumption increases about 5 percent for every five miles per hour driven above 60 mph. And use your cruise control – keeping a steady speed will also save fuel.
• Easy on the Pedals — Avoid fast starts and hard stops to decrease fuel use. Travelers should join FAST LANE prior to hitting the roads this summer to avoid traffic at the tolls – this can save lots of time, as well as fuel.
• Turn It Off — Shut off your engine when you are stopped. Idling wastes gas and is bad for the environment.
• Click the Cap – Make sure your gas cap is tight to prevent fuel evaporation and to improve air quality.
• Check the Pressure – Proper tire pressure is safer, extends tire life, and can provide up to 3% mpg benefit per tank of fuel. Check your tire pressure monthly, and pump your tires up to the recommended level (which can usually be found on the sticker in your driver’s door frame).
Additional ideas for fuel savings can be found at: www.mass.gov/massdot/drivesmart
RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted posted on Jun 25
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Erin Deveney announced that applications for the 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery are now being accepted online or by U.S. mail. Starting this year, for the first time ever, customers will be able to enter the lottery online by visiting: …Continue Reading RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted
Casey Arborway Project Public Meeting Set posted on Jun 24
MassDOT has scheduled a fourth Casey Arborway Project Construction Update Meeting as follows: Wednesday, June 29, 6:30-8:30 PM, Boston English High School Auditorium 144 McBride Street, Jamaica Plain The purpose of this meeting will be to provide the community with an update on the progress …Continue Reading Casey Arborway Project Public Meeting Set
Milestone Nears: Longfellow Bridge “Salt and Pepper” Towers Restoration posted on Jun 23
MassDOT announced that the restoration of the iconic “salt and pepper” towers of the historic Longfellow Bridge will be complete in late July. The downstream towers have been replaced on the bridge, and barges are transporting the last stones for installation on them. The capstones …Continue Reading Milestone Nears: Longfellow Bridge “Salt and Pepper” Towers Restoration