The Patrick-Murray Administration today announced a new online resource that can help Massachusetts residents and visitors to save money on gas and travel. The “Drive Smart and Save” program offers tips for cost-friendly driving techniques that can save travelers money on fuel expenses, improve fuel economy by up to 33 percent, and help reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions.
“Drive Smart and Save” supports GreenDOT, a comprehensive environmental responsibility and sustainability initiative of MassDOT. “Drive Smart and Save” tips include:
• Drive Less — When your travel plans allow, try taking public transportation, walking, biking, or carpooling.
• Set It at 60 — Drive the posted speed limit, or even a bit less on the highway, to see increased fuel economy. Fuel consumption increases about 5 percent for every five miles per hour driven above 60 mph. And use your cruise control – keeping a steady speed will also save fuel.
• Easy on the Pedals — Avoid fast starts and hard stops to decrease fuel use. Travelers should join FAST LANE prior to hitting the roads this summer to avoid traffic at the tolls – this can save lots of time, as well as fuel.
• Turn It Off — Shut off your engine when you are stopped. Idling wastes gas and is bad for the environment.
• Click the Cap – Make sure your gas cap is tight to prevent fuel evaporation and to improve air quality.
• Check the Pressure – Proper tire pressure is safer, extends tire life, and can provide up to 3% mpg benefit per tank of fuel. Check your tire pressure monthly, and pump your tires up to the recommended level (which can usually be found on the sticker in your driver’s door frame).
Additional ideas for fuel savings can be found at: www.mass.gov/massdot/drivesmart
Worcester: Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center Project Advances posted on Feb 25
MassDOT has announced that it is continuing to move forward with the project to construct the Worcester Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center and the adjacent multi-use path in the City of Worcester. A Notice to Proceed (NTP) was recently awarded for Phase II of this project …Continue Reading Worcester: Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center Project Advances
I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates posted on Feb 24
The MassDOT I-90 Toll Demolition and Road Reconstruction Project continues with work at all 23 locations trending on or ahead of schedule. Each work location has its own unique traffic management and construction management plans. All work is contingent upon the weather. Please check the …Continue Reading I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates
MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set posted on Feb 22
MassDOT is hosting the second Open House for the Massachusetts Freight Plan as follows: Thursday, March 9, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM, The Conference Center at Bentley University, Room 325ABC (Third Floor), 175 Forest Street, LaCava Campus Center #300, Waltham The second Freight Advisory Committee …Continue Reading MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set