Posted by: Kate Fichter, Green Line Extension Project Manager
I am pleased to report that MassDOT today is submitting a Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) for the Green Line Extension project to the Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs. The document will be noticed in the June 23, 2010 Environmental Monitor, which triggers a 30-day review of the project.
In January, the Massachusetts Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs issued a Certificate on the Green Line Extension Draft Environmental Impact Report that required MassDOT to produce a Final Environmental Impact Report with a limited scope covering the following topics:
• Environmental analysis of the “Option L” and ”Mirror H” vehicle maintenance and storage facility alternative locations
• Narrative discussion clarifying air quality modeling procedures
• Description of potential impacts associated with the use of College Avenue Station as a terminal station for the Extension
• Refined conceptual design of Lechmere Station
• Summary of overall project impacts and mitigation measures
• Development of a Public Involvement Plan (PIP) for future community participation
Complete reference copies of the FEIR are available at public libraries and city clerk's offices in Cambridge, Somerville and Medford and online at the project website. An Executive Summary of the document is also available on the website, along with a project fact sheet.
A public meeting on the FEIR will be held on Wednesday, June 30th at 6 PM at the Somerville High School Auditorium. The meeting will provide an opportunity for members of the public, agency representatives, and other project stakeholders to learn about changes to the project and ask questions.
The comment period for the document will be for 30 days. All comments will be due to the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) Office by July 23, 2010. All written comments must be submitted to:
Secretary Ian Bowles, Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.
MEPA Office, Attn: Holly Johnson, MEPA Analyst
100 Cambridge Street, Suite 900, Boston MA 02114
Fax: 617-626-1181. Email: Holly.S.Johnson@state.ma.us
You may also send comments to Katherine Fichter, Office of Transportation Planning, 10 Park Plaza, Room 4150, Boston, MA 02116.