The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate posted on Oct 24
The South Coast Rail project will be under consideration for the North American Project of the Year, specifically for job creation, at next week’s North American Strategic Infrastructure Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. The forum is hosted by the globally recognized firm CG/LA Infrastructure. Aconex, …Continue Reading South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate
MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking posted on Oct 23
Today, the MBTA will begin providing real-time information on the Green Line for the first time in the line’s 117 year history. Real-time data on the location of Green Line trains will be fed to the dozens of MBTA real-time apps. This will mark the …Continue Reading MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking
RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts posted on Oct 23
The Registry of Motor Vehicles during National Teen Driver Safety Week reminds us that motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of teens. Parental involvement can help reverse that trend. Know the facts: 1. Parental Involvement Did you know? Parents who set, monitor, and enforce …Continue Reading RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts