The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
RMV Introduces Free WiFI at Eight Busiest Branches posted on Sep 2
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles today announced the availability of free in-branch WiFi service for customers performing transactions at eight branch locations across the Commonwealth. The RMV is offering this amenity as part of its effort to enhance customer service and modernize branch operations. …Continue Reading RMV Introduces Free WiFI at Eight Busiest Branches
Plan Ahead for Holiday Weekend Travel posted on Sep 1
MassDOT encourages motorists to plan ahead for safe travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. Heaviest Labor Day traffic on I-90 is expected Thursday and Friday westbound and Monday afternoon-evening eastbound. Based on the number of toll transactions on the Turnpike from Weston to …Continue Reading Plan Ahead for Holiday Weekend Travel
Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest Reminder! posted on Aug 31
Calling All Massachusetts High School Students! MassDOT announces the second annual Safe Streets Smart Trips Statewide High School Video Contest. The contest serves as an initiative within the Massachusetts Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) to promote safe walking, bicycling, and driving behaviors within the Commonwealth. …Continue Reading Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest Reminder!