The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving posted on May 24
In time for Memorial Day, the kick-off to the summer driving season, MassDOT Acting Highway Administrator Thomas Tinlin joined MAPFRE Insurance in reminding motorists to adhere to speed limits, obey traffic laws and avoid distracted driving when traveling during the summer months. According to data …Continue Reading MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving
Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure posted on May 22
MassDOT will close the Washington Avenue Bridge in Chelsea on Tuesday, May 26 at 10:00 AM as part of the Silver Line Gateway Project. Appropriate detour signs will be in place to redirect traffic and pedestrians, and identify relocated bus stops. The bridge closure is …Continue Reading Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure
MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service posted on May 22
The first MBTA Green Line refurbished trolley car was returned to service this week. T personnel are completing test runs on the next refurbished car to return to service in the coming days. These are the first of 86 that are being refurbished. All 86 …Continue Reading MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service