The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
MBTA Future: Focus40 Seeks Your Ideas posted on Dec 2
The Focus40 Street Team has been out at stops and stations around the system, collecting your ideas for the MBTA’s future. The Street Team is made up of MassDOT staff, community members, and partner organizations. We have already engaged with over 1,000 MBTA customers and …Continue Reading MBTA Future: Focus40 Seeks Your Ideas
MassDOT, MAPFRE Insurance Encourage Motorists to Prepare for Winter Driving posted on Dec 1
MassDOT and MAPFRE Insurance offer helpful tips to ensure that your vehicle is geared up for wintry road conditions: Bring your vehicle in for an inspection. Winter can involve some of the harshest conditions for your vehicle to endure, so have your vehicle checked by …Continue Reading MassDOT, MAPFRE Insurance Encourage Motorists to Prepare for Winter Driving
RMV, AAA Announce New Service Location in Fairhaven posted on Nov 30
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), in partnership with AAA Northeast (AAA), announced today that the Fairhaven AAA Branch, located at 32 Fairhaven Commons Way, now offers select RMV license and registration services to AAA members. With the addition of Fairhaven, …Continue Reading RMV, AAA Announce New Service Location in Fairhaven