The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Traffic Update posted on Oct 30
MassDOT will begin implementing traffic changes for the next stage of construction for the Route 79/Braga Bridge Project on Wednesday, November 12. The following changes will be implemented in a phased approach through the middle of December: Vehicles on Route 79/138 (Broadway) bound for Interstate …Continue Reading Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Traffic Update
RMV: Promise to Customers posted on Oct 28
Today, MassDOT Secretary & CEO Richard A. Davey and MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue offered a 10 point promise to RMV customers. The reimagining effort comprises current, ongoing and future initiatives that the RMV has in development to better the Registry experience. …Continue Reading RMV: Promise to Customers
November E-ZPass Sign Up: Chelsea, Everett posted on Oct 28
MassDOT is encouraging motorists to join E-ZPass with All-Electronic Tolling now in place on the Tobin Bridge and expanding statewide within the next two years. The E-ZPass Street Team will be enrolling new customers in the E-ZPass throughout the Fall season. The E-ZPass Van schedule …Continue Reading November E-ZPass Sign Up: Chelsea, Everett