The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
Springfield: I-91 Viaduct Study Public Meeting Set posted on Dec 1
MassDOT has scheduled the first Public Information Meeting for the I-91 Viaduct Study as follows: Tuesday, December 15, 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM, Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place Hotel, Mahogany Room, 2nd Floor, One Monarch Place, Springfield MassDOT initiated this study to identify existing issues and …Continue Reading Springfield: I-91 Viaduct Study Public Meeting Set
Massachusetts Student Receives National Bike Poster Award posted on Nov 30
MassDOT and the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Program are proud to announce that for the first time, a Massachusetts student has won the annual 5th Grade National Poster Contest sponsored by Saris. Caleb Piehl of Somerville’s Dr. Albert F. Argenziano School won first place …Continue Reading Massachusetts Student Receives National Bike Poster Award
North Side Commuter Rail Schedule Implementation Postponed posted on Nov 25
MassDOT and the MBTA announced the recently revised North Side Commuter Rail schedules will not be implemented until spring 2016. The revision of Commuter Rail schedules is a critical element of MassDOT and the MBTA’s efforts to deliver safe, reliable, on-time service to Commuter …Continue Reading North Side Commuter Rail Schedule Implementation Postponed