The contest supports MassDOT and Safe Routes to School goals by encouraging students to recognize biking as an active and sustainable transportation option that benefits their physical health and community. Saris Cycling Group, a manufacturer of bicycle racks and cycling training products, hosts the contest annually.
Participating schools will submit entries to the Massachusetts Safe Routes to School program by April 1. A first place winner will be selected to represent the Commonwealth in the national contest and receive a new bike provided by Saris Cycling Group. Second and Third Place winners will receive gear to make their bike ride safer and fun. The Massachusetts first place winner will then compete for the national prize – a chance to attend the 2014 National Bike Summit in Washington DC and an exclusive bicycle parking and tracking system known as The Hub for their school!
Tips & Tools to Participate
- Every entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the 5th grade at a Massachusetts Safe Routes to School Partner location.
- Poster entries must be related to the contest theme: Bikes Make Life Better. The themed title must also appear on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Be sure to adhere to the contest’s very specific rules for poster design and layout found on the Saris website.
- Invite your SRTS Outreach Coordinator to host a bike safety assembly for your school's 5th grade class. Students can then create posters based on what they learned about bicycling.
- Create buzz about the contest in your classroom by hanging up flyers to promote this exciting opportunity to your 5th grade students!
- A completed permission slip must accompany all entries to be considered for the three state prizes.
Contact Massachusetts Safe Routes to School for more information!
Worcester: Belmont Street Bridge Opens posted on Mar 23
MassDOT has announced that the Belmont Street Bridge that carries Route 9 over Interstate 290 in Worcester is now open to its permanent configuration. The bridge now features two eastbound lanes toward Shrewsbury, two westbound lanes toward Lincoln Square and a newly-added, left-turn lane through …Continue Reading Worcester: Belmont Street Bridge Opens
Highway Assistance Patrol Program: MAPFRE Sponsorship Extension posted on Mar 23
MassDOT is pleased to announce an agreement to extend MAPFRE Insurance’s sponsorship of the Highway Assistance Patrol program (HAP) through March 2018. This extension marks the 15th year of partnership between MassDOT and MAPFRE in providing excellent customer service and safe, quick clearance on the …Continue Reading Highway Assistance Patrol Program: MAPFRE Sponsorship Extension
South Coast Rail: Notice of Project Change posted on Mar 22
The Baker-Polito Administration’s Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has filed a Notice of Project Change (NPC) for the South Coast Rail (SCR) Project with the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) Office on March 15, 2017. The Notice advances South Coast Rail as a phased project that …Continue Reading South Coast Rail: Notice of Project Change