The results of a comprehensive Statewide Airport Economic Impact Study find that Massachusetts public airports generate $11.9 billion in economic activity and support approximately 124,000 jobs, with positive impact seen in regions across the Commonwealth. For example:
- Springfield Metropolitan Airport/Westover Air Reserve Base and the Westfield-Barnes Regional Airport generate a combined $504.8 million for the area economy, supporting 7,603 jobs.
- Cape and Islands airports generate $767.9 million for the area economy, supporting 7,787 jobs.
- Worcester Regional Airport generates $51.4 million for the area economy, supporting 418 jobs.
- Southeast airports in Norwood, Plymouth, Marshfield, Mansfield, and Taunton generate a combined $119.1 million for the regional economy, supporting 827 jobs.
- Berkshires airports in Pittsfield, North Adams, and Great Barrington generate $37.5 million for the regional economy, supporting 298 jobs.
- Lawrence and Beverly Municipal Airports generate a combined $45.4 million for the regional economy, supporting 433 jobs.
The Statewide Airport Economic Impact Study completed by the MassDOT Aeronautics Division with the assistance of the Federal Aviation Administration measured the total economic impact of the 39 public-use airports in Massachusetts, including Boston Logan International Airport. The airports’ $11.9 billion in economic activity and 124,000 related jobs reflects commercial airline service, military aviation, emergency law enforcement and medical transport activity and general aviation.
The MassDOT Board of Directors in the past two years has also approved additional infrastructure investments in the Commonwealth's airports, including a $13.4 million grant for runway extension and safety at the Pittsfield Municipal Airport and $13.1 million toward a new terminal building at Barnstable Municipal Airport, in addition to annual ongoing airport maintenance improvement projects statewide.
The Statewide Airport Economic Impact Study executive summary is available on the web:
South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate posted on Oct 24
The South Coast Rail project will be under consideration for the North American Project of the Year, specifically for job creation, at next week’s North American Strategic Infrastructure Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. The forum is hosted by the globally recognized firm CG/LA Infrastructure. Aconex, …Continue Reading South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate
MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking posted on Oct 23
Today, the MBTA will begin providing real-time information on the Green Line for the first time in the line’s 117 year history. Real-time data on the location of Green Line trains will be fed to the dozens of MBTA real-time apps. This will mark the …Continue Reading MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking
RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts posted on Oct 23
The Registry of Motor Vehicles during National Teen Driver Safety Week reminds us that motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of teens. Parental involvement can help reverse that trend. Know the facts: 1. Parental Involvement Did you know? Parents who set, monitor, and enforce …Continue Reading RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts