During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Governor Patrick Celebrates Beverly Commuter Rail Parking posted on Aug 1
Governor Deval Patrick today joined state and local officials, residents and business owners to celebrate the opening of the new Beverly Commuter Rail parking garage. The garage will be open for customers beginning at the start of commuter rail service tomorrow, Saturday, August 2. “When …Continue Reading Governor Patrick Celebrates Beverly Commuter Rail Parking
Boston-Everett: Alford Street Bridge Opens posted on Aug 1
MassDOT Highway Administrator Frank DePaola today joined state and local officials to announce the Route 99 Alford Street Bridge over the Mystic River connecting Charleston and Everett is now open and operating at full capacity. The $56.1 million project included rehabilitation of the structural, mechanical …Continue Reading Boston-Everett: Alford Street Bridge Opens
NHTSA Safety Reminder: Never Leave a Child Alone in a Car posted on Jul 31
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and partners today are raising awareness about heatstroke, one of the leading causes of death among children. The NHTSA says at least 17 children have already died this year from vehicular heatstroke. Heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash …Continue Reading NHTSA Safety Reminder: Never Leave a Child Alone in a Car