During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Barre: Town Common Project Moves Forward posted on Jul 28
MassDOT Highway Administrator Thomas J. Tinlin joined elected officials to celebrate the groundbreaking of the Barre Town Common Improvements Project. Located in the center of Barre, at the junction of Routes 122, 32, and 62, the Barre Town Common Improvement Project will redesign the five …Continue Reading Barre: Town Common Project Moves Forward
Casey Arborway: Night Work Begins July 26 posted on Jul 24
As part of the ongoing Casey Arborway Project, night work will resume beginning Sunday, July 26th through Thursday, July 30 and continue for approximately 5 weeks. Night work hours are 8PM to 6AM. Night work is necessary for public safety and will take place with …Continue Reading Casey Arborway: Night Work Begins July 26
Burns Bridge Update: Traffic Shift posted on Jul 22
The Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge project in Worcester-Shrewsbury continues to move toward completion. A traffic shift will take place tonight, Wednesday, July 22nd, when eastbound traffic will be shifted from the northern half of the Burns Bridge to its permanent location on the bridge’s …Continue Reading Burns Bridge Update: Traffic Shift