During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Thanksgiving: Travel Safely! posted on Nov 24
MassDOT encourages Thanksgiving holiday travelers to check the latest winter weather forecast and plan ahead with the high volume of traffic on our highways and at Boston Logan International Airport expected this year. Highways are typically busiest on the Tuesday and Wednesday before and on …Continue Reading Thanksgiving: Travel Safely!
South Coast Rail: Bridge Replacements Move Forward posted on Nov 24
Governor Deval Patrick today joined Acting MassDOT Secretary and CEO Frank DePaola and local officials to announce a contract award for the replacement of four bridges in New Bedford and Fall River along the future South Coast Rail Line. The improvements will advance South Coast …Continue Reading South Coast Rail: Bridge Replacements Move Forward
I-495 Highway Safety Program Announced posted on Nov 20
MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police announced the establishment of a new Highway Safety Corridor Program for I-495 through the towns of Chelmsford, Westford, Littleton, Boxborough, Bolton, and Berlin. The program posts public safety signs that read, “Highway Safety Corridor / Laws Strictly Enforced” at …Continue Reading I-495 Highway Safety Program Announced