During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set posted on Feb 22
MassDOT is hosting the second Open House for the Massachusetts Freight Plan as follows: Thursday, March 9, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM, The Conference Center at Bentley University, Room 325ABC (Third Floor), 175 Forest Street, LaCava Campus Center #300, Waltham The second Freight Advisory Committee …Continue Reading MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set
MBTA Names Design-Build Firms Interested in Green Line Extension Project posted on Feb 21
The MBTA has announced that an important step has been achieved for the Green Line Extension Project. The evaluation of the Statements of Qualifications (SOQ) for the project has been completed and three highly-qualified teams have been selected for the short list of firms that …Continue Reading MBTA Names Design-Build Firms Interested in Green Line Extension Project
MassDOT: Federal Emergency Management Agency Reimbursements posted on Feb 18
MassDOT has succeeded in recovering more than $21 million dollars from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 2016 for past disaster events. These are reimbursements for MassDOT operations and logistics during past federal government disaster declarations and the reimbursements have been deposited into the …Continue Reading MassDOT: Federal Emergency Management Agency Reimbursements