During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
MBTA: Strategic Plan Adopted posted on Apr 24
The MBTA’s Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB) today approved an MBTA Strategic Plan, a document that fulfills the FMCB requirement in its enabling legislation that required development of such a plan. This plan serves as a blueprint for institutionalizing the objectives and strategies needed …Continue Reading MBTA: Strategic Plan Adopted
Sumner Tunnel Toll Demolition Moving Forward posted on Apr 24
MassDOT is moving forward with toll demolition and road reconstruction operations at the existing toll plaza at the entrance to the Sumner Tunnel in East Boston. Work-related logistical activities at the Sumner Tunnel began last week including marking utilities and installing temporary signage and the …Continue Reading Sumner Tunnel Toll Demolition Moving Forward
MassDOT Announces Purchase of New Remote-Operated Rail Ballast Cars posted on Apr 20
MassDOT today announced the purchase of 20 steel ballast cars – hopper cars with gates used to dispense ballast onto train tracks – that will be used by MassDOT for projects which maintain and repair crucial rail infrastructure. “MassDOT is pleased to now have its …Continue Reading MassDOT Announces Purchase of New Remote-Operated Rail Ballast Cars