During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Governor Patrick Signs “Boston Strong” License Plate Bill posted on Apr 18
Governor Deval Patrick today signed legislation creating a Massachusetts “Boston Strong” license plate. The legislation directs the Registry of Motor Vehicles to establish a license plate memorializing the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings adorned with the phrase “Boston Strong.” All proceeds from sales of …Continue Reading Governor Patrick Signs “Boston Strong” License Plate Bill
Whittier Bridge I-95 Update: River Boaters Notice posted on Apr 18
The Whittier Bridge/I-95 Improvement Project continues through the 2014 boating season. Much of the work this season to construct the new northbound span of the Whittier Bridge is taking place from the Merrimack River to the immediate east of the existing bridge. Several large barges, …Continue Reading Whittier Bridge I-95 Update: River Boaters Notice
Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Public Meeting Set posted on Apr 17
Please join MassDOT at a public meeting for an update on construction progress on the Route 79/Braga Bridge Improvements Project, as follows: Wednesday, April 30, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, Heritage State Park Auditorium, 200 Davol Street, Fall River The meeting will include an opportunity …Continue Reading Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Public Meeting Set