During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Longfellow Bridge Closure, MBTA Red Line Diversion July 8-11 posted on Jun 28
MassDOT’s contractor will close the Longfellow Bridge and implement an MBTA Red Line diversion during the weekend of July 8 through July 10. The Longfellow Bridge will be closed to all vehicular traffic, except MBTA buses, from 11:00 PM on Friday, July 8, to 5:00 …Continue Reading Longfellow Bridge Closure, MBTA Red Line Diversion July 8-11
Boston: I-90 Eastbound 4th Lane Reopens at Commonwealth Avenue Bridge posted on Jun 26
MassDOT today announced the restoration of a fourth lane on I-90 Eastbound from the Commonwealth Avenue bridge to the Prudential Tunnel in Boston. The restoration of four travel lanes comes after MassDOT completed safety upgrades by replacing the median system with a new jersey barrier …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Eastbound 4th Lane Reopens at Commonwealth Avenue Bridge
RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted posted on Jun 25
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Erin Deveney announced that applications for the 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery are now being accepted online or by U.S. mail. Starting this year, for the first time ever, customers will be able to enter the lottery online by visiting: …Continue Reading RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted