During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving posted on May 24
In time for Memorial Day, the kick-off to the summer driving season, MassDOT Acting Highway Administrator Thomas Tinlin joined MAPFRE Insurance in reminding motorists to adhere to speed limits, obey traffic laws and avoid distracted driving when traveling during the summer months. According to data …Continue Reading MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving
Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure posted on May 22
MassDOT will close the Washington Avenue Bridge in Chelsea on Tuesday, May 26 at 10:00 AM as part of the Silver Line Gateway Project. Appropriate detour signs will be in place to redirect traffic and pedestrians, and identify relocated bus stops. The bridge closure is …Continue Reading Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure
MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service posted on May 22
The first MBTA Green Line refurbished trolley car was returned to service this week. T personnel are completing test runs on the next refurbished car to return to service in the coming days. These are the first of 86 that are being refurbished. All 86 …Continue Reading MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service