During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
MassDOT Announces Online Comment Tool for Capital Investment Plan posted on Jan 23
MassDOT today announced the opening of its online comment tool that enables members of the public to easily provide input and suggestions on potential transportation projects to be included in the agency’s upcoming five-year Capital Investment Plan (CIP). Following last year’s successful public input process …Continue Reading MassDOT Announces Online Comment Tool for Capital Investment Plan
MassDOT Presented with National Award for Burns Bridge Project posted on Jan 23
MassDOT today was presented with the American Public Works Association’s (APWA) Public Works Project of the Year Award for the Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge Replacement Project. The $144 million project fully replaced the old Burns Bridge over Lake Quinsigamond and links Shrewsbury to Worcester. …Continue Reading MassDOT Presented with National Award for Burns Bridge Project
Public Heliport Task Force Announced posted on Jan 21
Members of the Massachusetts Legislature from Boston, City of Boston government and elected officials, along with MassDOT and the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development today announced the formation of a Task Force that will seek public input and hear from industry experts, transportation …Continue Reading Public Heliport Task Force Announced