During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
Morton Street Bridge Opens Ahead of Schedule posted on Aug 19
MassDOT announced the successful opening of the new Morton Street Bridge in Mattapan more than a full day ahead of the already accelerated schedule. The original structurally deficient bridge carrying Morton Street over the MBTA commuter rail tracks closed on Friday, August 8 for final …Continue Reading Morton Street Bridge Opens Ahead of Schedule
Berkley: Padelford Street Bridge Opens posted on Aug 18
MassDOT’s Highway Division Administrator Frank DePaola today joined state and local officials in celebrating the opening of the new Padelford Street Bridge in Berkley. The $5.65 million project used fast track “Design Build” rapid construction techniques to replace the bridge structure. The result: a limited …Continue Reading Berkley: Padelford Street Bridge Opens
MassDOT Infra-Space Program Seeks Ideas posted on Aug 15
MassDOT has announced creation of the “Infra-Space” Program to identify areas under elevated roads, bridges or viaducts for possible redevelopment opportunities. The Infra-Space program follows the successful ongoing development of a parking facility, multi-modal path, and adjustable ornamental light displays under a large elevated portion …Continue Reading MassDOT Infra-Space Program Seeks Ideas