During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
RMV: New Boston Branch Location Opens Monday, September 15 posted on Sep 12
On Monday, September 15, the MassDOT Registry of Motor Vehicles Division will welcome customers to its new location in Boston’s Haymarket Center. The new branch is MassDOT owned and has been designed to improve efficiency and enhance customer privacy. The location also offers an E-ZPass …Continue Reading RMV: New Boston Branch Location Opens Monday, September 15
Green Line Extension Public Meeting October 2 posted on Sep 12
The Green Line Extension (GLX) Working Group will meet in October as follows: Thursday, October 2, 4:00-6:00pm, Center for the Arts at the Armory, 191 Highland Avenue, Somerville The focus of the meeting is intended to be an interactive session, discussing construction and upcoming community …Continue Reading Green Line Extension Public Meeting October 2
Bus Plus: New Regional Commuter Service posted on Sep 11
MassDOT in partnership with Peter Pan Bus Lines today announced new regional transportation services coming soon as part of the new BusPlus program to increase the intercity and commuter transportation options available across the Commonwealth and all of New England. BusPlus is a public/private partnership …Continue Reading Bus Plus: New Regional Commuter Service