During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
MassDOT: Prioritizing Capital Projects Recommendations posted on Jul 2
MassDOT Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack today announced the publication of new recommendations for the evaluation and prioritization of proposed capital projects. The recommendations have been submitted to MassDOT by an independent Project Selection Advisory Council, which has worked for 18 months to develop a …Continue Reading MassDOT: Prioritizing Capital Projects Recommendations
MassDOT Secretary Pollack Launches Youth Pass Pilot Program posted on Jul 1
MassDOT Secretary & CEO Stephanie Pollack launched a year-long pilot program that will provide MBTA monthly passes to up to 1,500 youth between the ages of 12 and 21 in the cities of Boston, Somerville, Chelsea and Malden. At Roxbury’s Dudley Station, Secretary Pollack was …Continue Reading MassDOT Secretary Pollack Launches Youth Pass Pilot Program
July 4th Holiday Services Update posted on Jun 30
MassDOT encourages safe travel during the upcoming July 4 holiday weekend. Before you drive, check our live Traffic Cameras web page to view current conditions. Traffic is especially heavy at the I-84 interchange at Exit 9 in Sturbridge on the day before the holiday and …Continue Reading July 4th Holiday Services Update