During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing posted on Aug 28
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue announced the annual low number license plate lottery drawing will be held on September 10 at the RMV’s soon-to-open new Boston branch, Haymarket Center at 136 Blackstone Street. “As we move our operations to a new Boston …Continue Reading RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing
Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead! posted on Aug 27
MassDOT encourages motorists to plan ahead for safe travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. Heaviest Labor Day traffic on I-90 is expected Thursday and Friday westbound and Monday afternoon-evening eastbound. The number of toll transactions on the Turnpike from Weston to the New …Continue Reading Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead!
Boston: I-90 Construction Update posted on Aug 26
MassDOT contractors in August and September continue the preparation work to improve the median and Commonwealth Avenue Bridge substructure on Interstate 90 in Boston. The left lanes in both Eastbound and Westbound directions on I-90 from west of the Prudential tunnel to the Commonwealth Avenue …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Construction Update