During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
RMV Unveils New Driver’s License and Security Features posted on Jul 26
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles today unveiled a new Driver’s License and Mass ID design to be phased in over 5 years at no additional cost to customers. Last updated in 2010, the designs include new security features better protecting the identity of customers …Continue Reading RMV Unveils New Driver’s License and Security Features
Governor Baker Signs REAL ID Compliance Legislation posted on Jul 26
Governor Charlie Baker has signed bipartisan legislation to ensure Massachusetts’ compliance with the federal REAL ID Act, while adopting public safety standards so the Commonwealth’s citizens can continue to enter federal buildings and board domestic flights and ensuring that state credentials are issued to residents …Continue Reading Governor Baker Signs REAL ID Compliance Legislation
MBTA: Transit-Oriented Projects in Beverly & Mattapan posted on Jul 26
The MBTA’s Fiscal and Management Control Board designated Barnat Development as the successful bidder for a parcel of MBTA land located adjacent to the Beverly Depot Commuter Rail Station and Garage and designated POAH/Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation as the successful bidder for a project on …Continue Reading MBTA: Transit-Oriented Projects in Beverly & Mattapan