During holidays, I-90 Exit 9 connecting I-84 to Connecticut and New York experiences heavy traffic and busy toll plazas. Drivers are encouraged to consider travel during the early morning or after 8 p.m. Traffic congestion is also typical at the I-95 and I-495 Turnpike interchanges along with I-495 and I-93 northbound leading into New Hampshire.
MassDOT's Traffic and Travel Resources page includes links to all MassDOT travel resources.
Visit MassDOT's online traffic camera webpage with more than 90 live traffic cameras throughout the highway system. The cameras refresh every 10 seconds to provide real time traffic views. The 511 traffic alert system alerts customers to traffic conditions throughout the holiday weekend.
As always on major travel holidays, free coffee will be served at all 18 MassDOT service plazas courtesy of McDonalds, Burger King, and Gulf between 10 p.m. on Christmas night, Sunday, December 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 26.
In case of wintry travel weather, motorists should drive with headlights on, observe posted speed limits, never drink and drive, make sure everyone is using a seatbelt and be on the lookout for changing weather conditions. More information on safe winter driving is available at the MassDOT website.
The MBTA Christmas holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
Sunday, December 25
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red Line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a regular Sunday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will not operate.
• Hingham, Quincy, and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• THE RIDE Service will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
Monday, December 26
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).
South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate posted on Oct 24
The South Coast Rail project will be under consideration for the North American Project of the Year, specifically for job creation, at next week’s North American Strategic Infrastructure Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. The forum is hosted by the globally recognized firm CG/LA Infrastructure. Aconex, …Continue Reading South Coast Rail: Project of the Year Candidate
MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking posted on Oct 23
Today, the MBTA will begin providing real-time information on the Green Line for the first time in the line’s 117 year history. Real-time data on the location of Green Line trains will be fed to the dozens of MBTA real-time apps. This will mark the …Continue Reading MBTA: Green Line Real-Time Tracking
RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts posted on Oct 23
The Registry of Motor Vehicles during National Teen Driver Safety Week reminds us that motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of teens. Parental involvement can help reverse that trend. Know the facts: 1. Parental Involvement Did you know? Parents who set, monitor, and enforce …Continue Reading RMV: Know Your Teen Driver Safety Facts