MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police are reminding drivers traveling along I-93 and I-95 (Route 128) that use of the breakdown lane on I-93/I-95 has been discontinued in the area where the new fourth travel lane has opened.
In late November, MassDOT opened a section of the new fourth travel lane along I-93 and I-95 (Route 128) between Route 24 in Randolph and a point just south of Route 109 near the Westwood-Dedham line. The new lane is part of the ongoing project to eliminate an existing bottleneck between Route 24 and Route 9 in Wellesley by having four continuous travel lanes in each direction of interstate roadway from the junction of I-93 and I-95 in Reading, south to Route 3 in Braintree.
With the addition of the new fourth travel lane between Route 24 in Randolph and a point just south of Route 109 near the Westwood-Dedham line, use of the breakdown lane on this section is now prohibited, including during weekday peak travel periods (6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.).
MassDOT has deployed appropriate signage to inform drivers. State Police have been patrolling this route to enforce this change.
Breakdown lane use during weekday peak travel periods had been allowed between Route 24 and Route 9 via special permission by the Federal Highway Administration since 1986. However, upon the opening of the fourth travel lane between Randolph and Westwood-Dedham, for safety reasons the breakdown lane is again reserved for disabled motor vehicles and emergency vehicles.
The opening of the new fourth travel lane on the approximately 5.7 miles of interstate roadway on I-93/I-95 (Route 128) between Randolph and Westwood-Dedham is the result of four separate construction contracts totaling $136.7 million. Two additional contracts, one currently under construction and another in the final design stages, will provide the additional lane in each direction from Route 109 to Route 9 which will complete the overall corridor widening project.
Governor Patrick: Recommendation to Build MBTA Subway Cars in Massachusetts posted on Oct 21
Governor Deval Patrick today announced that the MBTA will present to the MassDOT Board of Directors the recommended company to manufacture and deliver 284 new subway cars for the Red and Orange Lines, replacing decades-old vehicles. Joined by MassDOT Secretary & CEO Richard A. Davey …Continue Reading Governor Patrick: Recommendation to Build MBTA Subway Cars in Massachusetts
Students Restore Historic Massachusetts Public Works Truck posted on Oct 21
A 1947 Ford dump truck with the proud historic logo “Massachusetts Department of Public Works” is now being restored by students at Bristol/Plymouth Regional Technical School in Taunton. MassDOT Secretary of Transportation Richard Davey visited the school to check on the students’ work and the …Continue Reading Students Restore Historic Massachusetts Public Works Truck
Celtics Forward Jared Sullinger Says: Sign Up for a Celtics Plate! posted on Oct 20
The Registry of Motor Vehicles’ new Boston Haymarket Center received a special visitor today: Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger. “Sully” joined Registrar Celia Blue to greet visitors, meet the staff, and encourage customers to sign up for the Boston Celtics Specialty License Plate. The Celtics …Continue Reading Celtics Forward Jared Sullinger Says: Sign Up for a Celtics Plate!