Post Content

Route 2, Florida, December 13, 2011MassDOT Secretary and CEO Richard A. Davey announced today the six-mile section of Route 2 closed following Tropical Storm Irene has reopened to traffic.

The portion of Route 2 connecting North Adams, Florida, Savoy, and Charlemont in northern Berkshire and Franklin counties was closed following the significant damage caused by Irene in late August.

“With the hard work of our District One staff and our contractors, we were able to design, engineer, survey, and begin construction in record time,” said Secretary Davey. “Recognizing this is an important connection in this area for residents and for tourism, Governor Patrick made this a priority and today I am happy to say we delivered.”

Using an expedited bidding process and unprecedent turnaround time, MassDOT was able to advertise contracts and begin the work in just over one month after the storm hit.

“A job of this magnitude would have ordinarily taken at least one entire construction season, if not more, to complete. But with a critical artery like Route 2, we were innovative in our bidding process and able to move aggressively on design and construction,” said Highway Administrator Frank DePaola.

Contractors Northern Construction, ET&L Corporation, JH Maxymillian, and R. Bates & Sons worked around the clock to rebuild major slopes, reconstruct large swaths of the road that were lost, upgrade  drainage, build new retaining walls, and reinforce slopes that protect the bridge connecting Savoy and Florida.

Berkshire County area roads and bridges suffered $35 million in damage, with $23 million for the cost of reconstructing the 6 miles of Route 2.

In early September, the Obama Administration issued a major disaster declaration making Massachusetts eligible for federal disaster aid to assist with the cost of work on Route 2.  Upcoming completion work along Route 2 will rebuild retaining walls, with no traffic impacts.

Written By:

Recent Posts

MBTA: Next Phase of Red Line Winter Resiliency Improvements Approved posted on Jul 25

MBTA: Next Phase of Red Line Winter Resiliency Improvements Approved

The MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB) today unanimously approved the awarding of a $18.5 million construction contract for the next phase of Red Line Winter Resiliency improvements announced by the Baker-Polito Administration last year, amounting to $30.4 million total for infrastructure upgrades in   …Continue Reading MBTA: Next Phase of Red Line Winter Resiliency Improvements Approved

Methuen Rotary: New I-93 Northbound Ramp Opens July 30 posted on Jul 25

Methuen Rotary: New I-93 Northbound Ramp Opens July 30

MassDOT’s Methuen Rotary Interchange Reconstruction Project reaches a major milestone on Saturday, July 30, when the first new ramp of the reconstructed interchange opens to traffic. The new I-93 northbound on-ramp is located approximately 400 feet east of the current ramp. A new signal will   …Continue Reading Methuen Rotary: New I-93 Northbound Ramp Opens July 30

Longfellow Bridge: Next Stage of Construction to Begin in August posted on Jul 22

Longfellow Bridge: Next Stage of Construction to Begin in August

MassDOT’s contractor is scheduled to begin the next stage of construction on the Longfellow Bridge in August 2016 now that the MBTA Red Line trains have been moved to their new locations. In this stage, bridge rehabilitation work will occur under the MBTA outbound track.   …Continue Reading Longfellow Bridge: Next Stage of Construction to Begin in August