The first rapid bridge superstructure replacements on I-93 in Medford as part of the 93Fast14 project begins Friday, June 3rd at 8:00 PM through Monday, June 6th at 5:00 AM. The first location involves the bridge on I-93 north over Riverside Avenue.
Throughout the course of the weekend, traffic on I-93 will be limited to two lanes in each direction over a 6 mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Traffic on I-93 north will be directed through a median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound barrel of the highway before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 directional traffic will be separated by a moveable “zipper lane” barrier. Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 north in this area will be restricted.
MassDOT strongly advises drivers to plan their travel routes and times carefully and to use alternate routes or public transportation to avoid this area if possible. Traffic is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
The $98.1 million project to replace these fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the project’s website at www.mass.gov/massdot/93fast14.
Details about I-93 and local road lane and ramp closures are available after the break.
Route I-93 Southbound –
- On Friday June 3rd I-93 south will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation at 10 PM. I-93 south will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5 AM Monday, June 6th.
- All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 south between Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway) and Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/Charlestown) will remain open with the exception of the entrance ramp from Route 28/Fellsway West in Stoneham.
- Traffic on I-93 south will utilize the right two travel lanes. Traffic on I-93 north will travel in the adjacent left lanes, separated by the zipper barrier. The shoulder lane on I-93 south will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles.
- The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 south that starts just north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Route I-93 Northbound –
- On Friday June 3rd I-93 north will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 8 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation at 10 PM. I-93 north will remain restricted to 2 travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5 AM Monday, June 6th.
- Through traffic on I-93 north will be directed through the median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound side of the highway, separated from I-93 south traffic by the zipper barrier, before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. No shoulder lane will be available for traffic travelling on I-93 north within the 4.5 mile zipper lane.
- Immediately prior to the crossover, a local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 north to provide access to Exit 31 (Mystic Valley Parkway/Arlington) only. Drivers with local destinations via Exit 32 (Route 60/Salem Street – Medford Square/Malden) or Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway), should use Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) and follow posted detour signing.
- Local traffic can access I-93 north using Route 60/Salem Street at Exit 32 or Route 28/Fellsway/Roosevelt Circle at Exit 33. Traffic entering I-93 north at these locations will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 north through traffic exiting the median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 north will be restored to four lanes prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North – Stoneham/Melrose).
Local Roadways –
- Riverside Avenue under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, June 3rd at 6 PM through Monday, June 6th at 5 AM. Only local traffic will be allowed to access Riverside Avenue. Drivers affected by the Riverside Avenue closure should follow posted detour routes on Route 60/Salem Street from the north and on Route 16/Mystic Valley Parkway from the south.
- Route 28/Fellsway will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
- In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28/Fellsway or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
Local traffic on Route 28/Fellsway and surrounding roadways is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use the posted detour routes and/or public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
MassDOT encourages drivers to allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when travelling through all work zones.
RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing posted on Aug 28
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue announced the annual low number license plate lottery drawing will be held on September 10 at the RMV’s soon-to-open new Boston branch, Haymarket Center at 136 Blackstone Street. “As we move our operations to a new Boston …Continue Reading RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing
Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead! posted on Aug 27
MassDOT encourages motorists to plan ahead for safe travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. Heaviest Labor Day traffic on I-90 is expected Thursday and Friday westbound and Monday afternoon-evening eastbound. The number of toll transactions on the Turnpike from Weston to the New …Continue Reading Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead!
Boston: I-90 Construction Update posted on Aug 26
MassDOT contractors in August and September continue the preparation work to improve the median and Commonwealth Avenue Bridge substructure on Interstate 90 in Boston. The left lanes in both Eastbound and Westbound directions on I-90 from west of the Prudential tunnel to the Commonwealth Avenue …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Construction Update