The first rapid bridge superstructure replacements on I-93 in Medford as part of the 93Fast14 project begins Friday, June 3rd at 8:00 PM through Monday, June 6th at 5:00 AM. The first location involves the bridge on I-93 north over Riverside Avenue.
Throughout the course of the weekend, traffic on I-93 will be limited to two lanes in each direction over a 6 mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Traffic on I-93 north will be directed through a median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound barrel of the highway before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 directional traffic will be separated by a moveable “zipper lane” barrier. Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 north in this area will be restricted.
MassDOT strongly advises drivers to plan their travel routes and times carefully and to use alternate routes or public transportation to avoid this area if possible. Traffic is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
The $98.1 million project to replace these fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the project’s website at www.mass.gov/massdot/93fast14.
Details about I-93 and local road lane and ramp closures are available after the break.
Route I-93 Southbound –
- On Friday June 3rd I-93 south will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation at 10 PM. I-93 south will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5 AM Monday, June 6th.
- All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 south between Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway) and Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/Charlestown) will remain open with the exception of the entrance ramp from Route 28/Fellsway West in Stoneham.
- Traffic on I-93 south will utilize the right two travel lanes. Traffic on I-93 north will travel in the adjacent left lanes, separated by the zipper barrier. The shoulder lane on I-93 south will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles.
- The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 south that starts just north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Route I-93 Northbound –
- On Friday June 3rd I-93 north will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 8 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation at 10 PM. I-93 north will remain restricted to 2 travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5 AM Monday, June 6th.
- Through traffic on I-93 north will be directed through the median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound side of the highway, separated from I-93 south traffic by the zipper barrier, before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. No shoulder lane will be available for traffic travelling on I-93 north within the 4.5 mile zipper lane.
- Immediately prior to the crossover, a local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 north to provide access to Exit 31 (Mystic Valley Parkway/Arlington) only. Drivers with local destinations via Exit 32 (Route 60/Salem Street – Medford Square/Malden) or Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway), should use Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) and follow posted detour signing.
- Local traffic can access I-93 north using Route 60/Salem Street at Exit 32 or Route 28/Fellsway/Roosevelt Circle at Exit 33. Traffic entering I-93 north at these locations will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 north through traffic exiting the median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 north will be restored to four lanes prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North – Stoneham/Melrose).
Local Roadways –
- Riverside Avenue under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, June 3rd at 6 PM through Monday, June 6th at 5 AM. Only local traffic will be allowed to access Riverside Avenue. Drivers affected by the Riverside Avenue closure should follow posted detour routes on Route 60/Salem Street from the north and on Route 16/Mystic Valley Parkway from the south.
- Route 28/Fellsway will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
- In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28/Fellsway or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
Local traffic on Route 28/Fellsway and surrounding roadways is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use the posted detour routes and/or public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
MassDOT encourages drivers to allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when travelling through all work zones.
I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates posted on Feb 24
The MassDOT I-90 Toll Demolition and Road Reconstruction Project continues with work at all 23 locations trending on or ahead of schedule. Each work location has its own unique traffic management and construction management plans. All work is contingent upon the weather. Please check the …Continue Reading I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates
MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set posted on Feb 22
MassDOT is hosting the second Open House for the Massachusetts Freight Plan as follows: Thursday, March 9, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM, The Conference Center at Bentley University, Room 325ABC (Third Floor), 175 Forest Street, LaCava Campus Center #300, Waltham The second Freight Advisory Committee …Continue Reading MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set
MBTA Names Design-Build Firms Interested in Green Line Extension Project posted on Feb 21
The MBTA has announced that an important step has been achieved for the Green Line Extension Project. The evaluation of the Statements of Qualifications (SOQ) for the project has been completed and three highly-qualified teams have been selected for the short list of firms that …Continue Reading MBTA Names Design-Build Firms Interested in Green Line Extension Project