The Medford I-93 "93Fast14" project has now completed 12 of 14 bridges and continues on the 9th weekend of bridge replacements with the focus on the I-93 South bridge over Riverside Avenue. The work will take place between 7:45 PM Friday, August 5th and 5:00 AM Monday, August 8th.
Throughout the course of the weekend, traffic on I-93 will be limited to two lanes in each direction over a 6-mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Traffic on I-93 South will be directed through a median crossover near Spot Pond at the Stoneham/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the northbound barrel of the highway before traveling through a second median crossover near the Medford/Somerville line. I-93 directional traffic will be separated by a moveable “zipper lane” barrier. Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 South in this area will be restricted.
The $98.1 million project to replace these fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the 93Fast 14 website.
The list of lane and ramp closures is available after the break.
Route I-93 Northbound –
• On Friday August 5th, I-93 North will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 North will remain restricted to two travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5:00 AM Monday, August 8th.
• Traffic on I-93 North will utilize the right two travel lanes. Traffic on I-93 South will travel in the adjacent left lanes, separated by the zipper barrier. The shoulder lane on I-93 North will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles. The use of the breakdown lane for travel will be allowed on I-93 North between the on ramp from Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle) and the northerly project limit prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North).
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 North between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/ Charlestown) and Exit 34 (Route 28 North/Main Street) will remain open, with the exception of the entrance ramp from Routes 28/38 at Exit 29. Drivers affected by the closure of the on ramp to I-93 North at Exit 29 will be directed to use Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing to access I-93 North at Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle)
Route I-93 Southbound –
• On Friday August 5th, I-93 South will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 South will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5:00 AM Monday, August 8th.
• Through traffic on I-93 South will be directed through the median crossover near Spot Pond at the Stoneham/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the northbound side of the highway, separated from I-93 North traffic by the zipper barrier, before traveling through a second median crossover near the Medford/Somerville line. No shoulder lane will be available for traffic travelling on I-93 South within the majority of the 4.5-mile zipper lane.
• Immediately prior to the northern crossover, a local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 South to provide access to Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway) only. Drivers with local destinations via Exit 32 (Route 60/Salem Street – Medford Square/Malden); Exit 31 (Route 16/Mystic Valley Parkway) or Exit 30 (Route 38) should enter the local traffic lane and take Exit 33 and follow posted detour signing.
• The on ramps to I-93 South from Route 28 (Fellsway West) at Exit 34; Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway at Exit 33; and Route 60 (Salem Street) at Exit 32 will be closed. Local traffic can access I-93 South using Route 16 East (Mystic Valley Parkway) at Exit 31. Traffic entering I-93 South at Exit 31 will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 South through traffic exiting the median crossover near the Medford/Somerville line. I-93 South will be restored to three lanes prior to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square).
• The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways –
• Riverside Avenue under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, August 5th at 6:00 PM through Monday, August 8th at 5:00 AM. West of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the east side of I-93 via Riverside Avenue will be directed to Route 60 East to Route 28 South (Fellsway). East of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the west side of I-93 via Riverside Avenue will be directed to either use Route 28 North (Fellsway) to Route 60 West or to use Route 28 South (Fellsway) to Route 16 West to Main Street North.
• Route 28 (Fellsway) will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
• In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway) or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
• Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway)) and the intersection of Route 28 (Fellsway) with Route 60 will experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that drivers adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking these intersections. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at these locations to operate effectively.
Local traffic on Route 28 (Fellsway), Route 60 between I-93 and Route 28 (Fellsway) and surrounding roadways is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use the posted detour routes and/or public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
MassDOT encourages drivers to allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when traveling through or near all work zones.
North Side Commuter Rail Schedule Implementation Postponed posted on Nov 25
MassDOT and the MBTA announced the recently revised North Side Commuter Rail schedules will not be implemented until spring 2016. The revision of Commuter Rail schedules is a critical element of MassDOT and the MBTA’s efforts to deliver safe, reliable, on-time service to Commuter …Continue Reading North Side Commuter Rail Schedule Implementation Postponed
Travel Safely for Thanksgiving! posted on Nov 24
MassDOT encourages Thanksgiving holiday travelers to plan ahead with high traffic volume on our highways and at Boston Logan International Airport expected again this year. Highways are typically busiest on the Tuesday and Wednesday before and on the Sunday after the holiday. Heavy traffic congestion …Continue Reading Travel Safely for Thanksgiving!
Springfield: I-91 Viaduct Project Public Meeting Set posted on Nov 23
MassDOT has scheduled a Public Information Meeting for the I-91 Viaduct Rehabilitation Project as follows: Tuesday, December 8, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, Basketball Hall of Fame, Theater, 1000 Hall of Fame Avenue, Springfield Please join MassDOT for an update on the major construction and …Continue Reading Springfield: I-91 Viaduct Project Public Meeting Set