Work crews will continue the series of rapid bridge superstructure replacements on I-93 in Medford beginning on Friday, July 22nd at 8:00 PM and continuing through Monday, July 25th at 5:00 AM. This weekend’s locations involve the bridge on I-93 South over Route 28 South (Fellsway)/Valley Street and the center span on the bridge on I-93 South over the Mystic River.
Throughout the course of the weekend, traffic on I-93 will be limited to two lanes in each direction over a 6-mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Traffic on I-93 South will be directed through a median crossover near Spot Pond at the Stoneham/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the northbound barrel of the highway before traveling through a second median crossover near the Medford/Somerville line. I-93 directional traffic will be separated by a moveable “zipper lane” barrier. Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 South in this area will be restricted.
The $98.1 million project to replace these fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the 93Fast 14 Project website.
Lane and ramp closures are listed are the break:
Route I-93 Northbound –
• On Friday July 22nd I-93 North will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 North will remain restricted to two travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5:00 AM Monday, July 25th.
• Traffic on I-93 North will utilize the right two travel lanes. Traffic on I-93 South will travel in the adjacent left lanes, separated by the zipper barrier. The shoulder lane on I-93 North will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 North between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/ Charlestown) and Exit 34 (Route 28 North/Main Street) will remain open. If warranted due to heavy traffic conditions on I-93 North, the entrance ramp from Routes 28/38 at Exit 29 may be closed. If this occurs, drivers seeking to access I-93 North will be directed to use Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing to access I-93 North at Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle)
Route I-93 Southbound –
• On Friday July 22nd, I-93 South will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 South will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5:00 AM Monday, July 25th.
• Through traffic on I-93 South will be directed through the median crossover near Spot Pond at the Stoneham/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the northbound side of the highway, separated from I-93 North traffic by the zipper barrier, before traveling through a second median crossover near the Medford/Somerville line. No shoulder lane will be available for traffic travelling on I-93 South within the 4.5-mile zipper lane.
• Immediately prior to the northern crossover, a local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 South to provide access to Exit 33 (Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway) only. There will be no access to Route 28 South (Fellsway), east of I-93. Drivers with local destinations on Route 28 South (Fellsway) via Exit 33; and local destinations via Exit 32 (Route 60/Salem Street – Medford Square/Malden); Exit 31 (Route 16/Mystic Valley Parkway) or Exit 30 (Route 38) should enter the local traffic lane and use Exit 33 and follow posted detour signing.
• The on ramps to I-93 South from Route 28 (Fellsway West) at Exit 34; Roosevelt Circle – Route 28/Fellsway at Exit 33; and Route 60 (Salem Street) at Exit 32 will be closed. Local traffic can access I-93 South using (Route 16 East (Mystic Valley Parkway) at Exit 31. Traffic entering I-93 South at Exit 31 will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 South through traffic exiting the median crossover near the Medford/Stoneham line. I-93 South will be restored to three lanes prior to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square).
• The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways –
• Route 28 South (Fellsway) and Valley Street under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, July 22nd at 6:00 PM through Monday, July 25th at 5:00 AM. West of I-93, drivers exiting I-93 South via Exit 33; or traveling on Forest Street North or on Route 28 South (Fellsway) seeking access to I-93 South or to Route 28 South (Fellsway) east of I-93 will be directed to travel around the Roosevelt Circle rotary to Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing.
• Route 28 (Fellsway) will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
• In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway) or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
• Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway) and the intersection of Route 28 (Fellsway) with Fellsway East will experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that motorists adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking these intersections. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at these locations to operate effectively.
• The navigable channel on the Mystic River in the area of I-93 will be closed beginning on Friday, July 22nd at 6:00 PM and continuing through Monday, July 25th at 5:00 AM. Appropriate notice will be provided to marine traffic in accordance with Coast Guard Regulations.
MassDOT encourages drivers and mariners to allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when traveling through or near all work zones.
RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing posted on Aug 28
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue announced the annual low number license plate lottery drawing will be held on September 10 at the RMV’s soon-to-open new Boston branch, Haymarket Center at 136 Blackstone Street. “As we move our operations to a new Boston …Continue Reading RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing
Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead! posted on Aug 27
MassDOT encourages motorists to plan ahead for safe travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. Heaviest Labor Day traffic on I-90 is expected Thursday and Friday westbound and Monday afternoon-evening eastbound. The number of toll transactions on the Turnpike from Weston to the New …Continue Reading Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead!
Boston: I-90 Construction Update posted on Aug 26
MassDOT contractors in August and September continue the preparation work to improve the median and Commonwealth Avenue Bridge substructure on Interstate 90 in Boston. The left lanes in both Eastbound and Westbound directions on I-90 from west of the Prudential tunnel to the Commonwealth Avenue …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Construction Update