Work crews will continue the series of rapid bridge superstructure replacements on I-93 in Medford beginning on Friday, July 8th at 8:00 PM and continuing through Monday, July 11th at 5:00 AM. This weekend’s locations involve the bridge on I-93 North over Webster Street and the approach spans on the bridge on I-93 North over the Mystic River.
Throughout the course of the weekend, traffic on I-93 will be limited to two lanes in each direction over a 6-mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Traffic on I-93 North will be directed through a median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound barrel of the highway before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 directional traffic will be separated by a moveable “zipper lane” barrier. Access to and from many of the ramps on I-93 North in this area will be restricted.
The $98.1 million project to replace these fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the project’s website: www.mass.gov/massdot/93fast14.
Lane and ramp closures are available after the break:
Route I-93 Southbound –
• On Friday July 8th, I-93 South will be restricted to two lanes south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 South will remain restricted to two lanes from Exit 35 to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) until 5:00 AM Monday, July 11th.
• Traffic on I-93 South will utilize the right two travel lanes. Traffic on I-93 North will travel in the adjacent left lanes, separated by the zipper barrier. The shoulder lane on I-93 South will be restricted to use by emergency vehicles and disabled vehicles.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 South between Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) and Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/Charlestown) will remain open with the exception of the entrance ramp from Route 28 (Fellsway West) in Stoneham.
• The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts just north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Route I-93 Northbound –
• On Friday July 8th I-93 North will be restricted to two lanes at Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) beginning with a single lane closure at 7:45 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate the installation of the zipper lane and median crossovers for activation by 10:00 PM. I-93 North will remain restricted to two travel lanes from Exit 29 to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) until 5:00 AM Monday, July 11th.
• Through traffic on I-93 North will be directed through the median crossover near the Somerville/Medford line and then travel in counter-flow operation on the southbound side of the highway, separated from I-93 South traffic by the zipper barrier, before traveling through a second median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. No shoulder lane will be available for traffic travelling on I-93 North within the 4.5-mile zipper lane.
• Immediately prior to the southern crossover, a local traffic lane will be provided on I-93 North to provide access to Exit 31 (Route 16 West – Mystic Valley Parkway) only. The local access lane will be open only during the following time periods – 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM on Saturday, July 9 and 10:00 AM Sunday, July 10 through 5:00 AM Monday, July 11. During periods when the local access lane is closed, drivers with local destinations via Exit 31 should use Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/ Everett) and follow posted detour signing.
• The on ramps to I-93 North from Route 38 (Mystic Avenue) at Exit 30; Route 16 East (Mystic Valley Parkway) at Exit 31; and Route 60 (Exit 32) will be closed. Local traffic can access I-93 North using Route 38 at Exit 29 and Route 28 (Fellsway) at Exit 33. Traffic entering I-93 North at Exit 33 will travel within a single lane and will merge with I-93 North through traffic exiting the median crossover near Spot Pond in Stoneham. I-93 North will be restored to four lanes prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North – Stoneham/ Melrose).
Traffic is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways –
• Webster Street under I-93 will be closed to through traffic from Friday, July 8th at 6:00 PM through Monday, July 11th at 5:00 AM. West of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the east side of I-93 via Webster Street will be directed to use Forest Street and travel south to use Route 60 east or travel north to Roosevelt Circle and use Route 28 South (Fellsway). East of I-93, local traffic seeking access to the west side of I-93 via Webster Street will be directed to use Fulton Street north to Route 28 North (Fellsway) to Roosevelt Circle to Forest Street south.
• Route 28 (Fellsway) will be used as the primary local detour route for the duration of the weekend. Traffic signals along the corridor have been modified to address the increased traffic demands to the extent possible.
• In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway) or at other critical intersections impacted by detour traffic, State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
• Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway) will experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that motorists adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking this intersection. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at this location to operate effectively.
• The navigable channel on the Mystic River in the area of I-93 will be closed beginning on Friday, July 8th at 6:00 PM and continuing through Monday, July 11th at 5:00 AM. Appropriate notice will be provided to marine traffic in accordance with Coast Guard Regulations.
Local traffic on Route 28 (Fellsway) and surrounding roadways is expected to be heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use the posted detour routes and/or public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
MassDOT encourages drivers and mariners to allow extra time for their trips and to reduce speed and use extreme caution when traveling through or near all work zones.
Worcester: Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center Project Advances posted on Feb 25
MassDOT has announced that it is continuing to move forward with the project to construct the Worcester Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center and the adjacent multi-use path in the City of Worcester. A Notice to Proceed (NTP) was recently awarded for Phase II of this project …Continue Reading Worcester: Blackstone Gateway Visitor Center Project Advances
I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates posted on Feb 24
The MassDOT I-90 Toll Demolition and Road Reconstruction Project continues with work at all 23 locations trending on or ahead of schedule. Each work location has its own unique traffic management and construction management plans. All work is contingent upon the weather. Please check the …Continue Reading I-90 Toll Plaza Demolition Construction Updates
MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set posted on Feb 22
MassDOT is hosting the second Open House for the Massachusetts Freight Plan as follows: Thursday, March 9, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM, The Conference Center at Bentley University, Room 325ABC (Third Floor), 175 Forest Street, LaCava Campus Center #300, Waltham The second Freight Advisory Committee …Continue Reading MassDOT Freight Plan Second Open House Set