With the 14 bridge superstructure replacements completed ahead of schedule, the #93Fast14 project continues this weekend, as work crews begin installation of the final layer of new pavement on I-93 North from Exit 29 (Route 28/38) in Somerville to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) in Stoneham.
Work crews will also begin restoration of the areas where the two median crossovers were constructed and continue bridge-related improvements at the seven bridge locations on I-93 South.
The work will require lane closures on I-93 North and South beginning on Friday, August 19th at 8:00 PM and continuing through Monday, August 22nd at 5:00 AM.
There will be varying lane restrictions on I-93 in each direction during the weekend over a 6-mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Median crossovers will not be used and I-93 North and South traffic will remain on their respective sides of the highway. Access to and from the majority of the on and off ramps will be available throughout the majority of the weekend.
The work is part of the $98.1 million project to replace the fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford and is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges. For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the 93Fast 14 website.
Lane and ramp closures are listed after the break:
Route I-93 Northbound –
• On Friday August 19th, the left two lanes on I-93 North will be closed from Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) beginning with a single lane closure at 8:00 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate night time paving operations by 9:00 PM. The left two lanes will remain closed until approximately 9:00 AM on Saturday, August 20th, at which time one of the left lanes is scheduled to be reopened. The second left lane will again be closed at approximately 8:30 PM on Saturday, August 20th in order to allow night time paving operations to resume. The two left lanes will remain closed until approximately 9:00 AM on Sunday, August 21st, at which time one of the left lanes will be reopened.
The paving work is weather dependant and as such, the lane closures and associated time frames noted above are approximate and may be extended or modified as necessary to complete the work.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 North between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/ Charlestown) and Exit 34 (Route 28 North/Main Street) will remain open, with the exception of the entrance ramp from Routes 28/38 at Exit 29. Drivers affected by the closure of the on ramp to I-93 North at Exit 29 will be directed to use Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing to access I-93 North at Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle).
• The use of the breakdown lane for travel will be allowed on I-93 North between the on ramp from Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle) and the northerly project limit prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North).
Route I-93 Southbound –
• On Friday August 19th, the left lane on I-93 South will be closed from the area south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) beginning at 8:00 PM to initiate bridge construction and median restoration activities. The left lane will remain closed until 5:00 AM Monday, August 22nd.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 South between Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) and Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/Charlestown) will remain open.
• The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways –
• Traffic signals along the Route 28 (Fellsway) corridor have been modified to address increased traffic demands during the weekend associated with any traffic diversions to the extent possible.
• In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway), State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
• Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway)) may experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that drivers adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking this intersection. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at this location to operate effectively.
Local traffic on Route 28 (Fellsway) may be heavy at times during the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
Boston: I-90 Eastbound 4th Lane Reopens at Commonwealth Avenue Bridge posted on Jun 26
MassDOT today announced the restoration of a fourth lane on I-90 Eastbound from the Commonwealth Avenue bridge to the Prudential Tunnel in Boston. The restoration of four travel lanes comes after MassDOT completed safety upgrades by replacing the median system with a new jersey barrier …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Eastbound 4th Lane Reopens at Commonwealth Avenue Bridge
RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted posted on Jun 25
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Erin Deveney announced that applications for the 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery are now being accepted online or by U.S. mail. Starting this year, for the first time ever, customers will be able to enter the lottery online by visiting: …Continue Reading RMV: 2016 Low Number Plate Lottery Applications Now Accepted
Casey Arborway Project Public Meeting Set posted on Jun 24
MassDOT has scheduled a fourth Casey Arborway Project Construction Update Meeting as follows: Wednesday, June 29, 6:30-8:30 PM, Boston English High School Auditorium 144 McBride Street, Jamaica Plain The purpose of this meeting will be to provide the community with an update on the progress …Continue Reading Casey Arborway Project Public Meeting Set