With the 14 bridge superstructure replacements completed ahead of schedule, the #93Fast14 project continues this weekend, as work crews begin installation of the final layer of new pavement on I-93 North from Exit 29 (Route 28/38) in Somerville to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) in Stoneham.
Work crews will also begin restoration of the areas where the two median crossovers were constructed and continue bridge-related improvements at the seven bridge locations on I-93 South.
The work will require lane closures on I-93 North and South beginning on Friday, August 19th at 8:00 PM and continuing through Monday, August 22nd at 5:00 AM.
There will be varying lane restrictions on I-93 in each direction during the weekend over a 6-mile segment between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) in Somerville and Exit 36 (Montvale Avenue) in Stoneham. Median crossovers will not be used and I-93 North and South traffic will remain on their respective sides of the highway. Access to and from the majority of the on and off ramps will be available throughout the majority of the weekend.
The work is part of the $98.1 million project to replace the fourteen bridge superstructures in Medford and is funded through the Patrick-Murray Administration’s historic Accelerated Bridge Program, a $3 billion recovery effort to reduce the Commonwealth’s backlog of structurally-deficient bridges. For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the 93Fast 14 website.
Lane and ramp closures are listed after the break:
Route I-93 Northbound –
• On Friday August 19th, the left two lanes on I-93 North will be closed from Exit 29 (Route 28/38 – Somerville/Everett) to Exit 34 (Route 28 North) beginning with a single lane closure at 8:00 PM with a second lane closed shortly thereafter to initiate night time paving operations by 9:00 PM. The left two lanes will remain closed until approximately 9:00 AM on Saturday, August 20th, at which time one of the left lanes is scheduled to be reopened. The second left lane will again be closed at approximately 8:30 PM on Saturday, August 20th in order to allow night time paving operations to resume. The two left lanes will remain closed until approximately 9:00 AM on Sunday, August 21st, at which time one of the left lanes will be reopened.
The paving work is weather dependant and as such, the lane closures and associated time frames noted above are approximate and may be extended or modified as necessary to complete the work.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 North between Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/ Charlestown) and Exit 34 (Route 28 North/Main Street) will remain open, with the exception of the entrance ramp from Routes 28/38 at Exit 29. Drivers affected by the closure of the on ramp to I-93 North at Exit 29 will be directed to use Route 28 North (Fellsway) and follow posted detour signing to access I-93 North at Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle).
• The use of the breakdown lane for travel will be allowed on I-93 North between the on ramp from Exit 33 (Route 28 – Roosevelt Circle) and the northerly project limit prior to Exit 34 (Route 28 North).
Route I-93 Southbound –
• On Friday August 19th, the left lane on I-93 South will be closed from the area south of Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) to Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) beginning at 8:00 PM to initiate bridge construction and median restoration activities. The left lane will remain closed until 5:00 AM Monday, August 22nd.
• All of the entrance and exit ramps on I-93 South between Exit 35 (Winchester Highlands/Melrose) and Exit 28 (Sullivan Square/Charlestown) will remain open.
• The High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane on I-93 South that starts north of Exit 28 will be closed throughout the weekend.
Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy throughout the duration of the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers that do not have a destination in the Medford/Downtown Boston area use alternate routes [I-495, I-95 (Route 128), Route 1 and I-90] to avoid the construction area.
Local Roadways & Waterways –
• Traffic signals along the Route 28 (Fellsway) corridor have been modified to address increased traffic demands during the weekend associated with any traffic diversions to the extent possible.
• In the event of a safety concern with traffic congestion at intersections along Route 28 (Fellsway), State and local police details will provide traffic control to keep vehicular traffic moving and to provide safe crossings for bicycles and pedestrians.
• Wellington Circle (Route 28 (Fellsway) at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway)) may experience traffic congestion on Friday evening and throughout the daytime/early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday. MassDOT and the Massachusetts State Police request that drivers adhere to travel lane markings and yellow and red traffic signal displays to avoid blocking this intersection. Failure to follow this guidance will add to congestion and limit the ability of the traffic signals at this location to operate effectively.
Local traffic on Route 28 (Fellsway) may be heavy at times during the weekend, particularly during daytime and early evening hours. MassDOT strongly recommends drivers plan ahead and use public transportation whenever possible to reduce additional congestion.
Public Heliport Task Force Announced posted on Jan 21
Members of the Massachusetts Legislature from Boston, City of Boston government and elected officials, along with MassDOT and the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development today announced the formation of a Task Force that will seek public input and hear from industry experts, transportation …Continue Reading Public Heliport Task Force Announced
Registry of Motor Vehicles Announces Opening of New Springfield Service Center posted on Jan 20
On Monday, January 23, the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles opens a new Springfield Service Center which features a customer-friendly design, hundreds of parking spaces, and is fully accessible. The address of the new service center location: 1250 St. James Avenue, Springfield, MA 01104 The service …Continue Reading Registry of Motor Vehicles Announces Opening of New Springfield Service Center
Charlton/Oxford Route 20 Reconstruction Public Meeting Set posted on Jan 20
MassDOT has announced that it will hold a public information meeting for the Charlton/Oxford Route 20 Reconstruction Project as follows: Wednesday, February 1, 7 p.m., Oxford High School Auditorium, 100 Carbuncle Drive While emergency safety repairs were completed on this roadway in January of 2016, …Continue Reading Charlton/Oxford Route 20 Reconstruction Public Meeting Set