Work crews are continuing preparation for the upcoming replacement of 14 deteriorated bridge superstructures on I-93 in Medford, the project known as 93Fast14 and funded by the Patrick-Murray Administration's Accelerated Bridge Program.
The work is taking place nightly overnight between 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM.
Additional work will take place this weekend during the morning hours on Saturday and Sunday and next week, Monday-Friday between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
The work schedule is below:
Route I-93 Southbound –
• Prior to Exit 33 (Route 28) near the Stoneham/Medford line and in the area of the southern median crossover beyond Exit 29 (Routes 28/38) near the Medford/Somerville line, the left lane will be closed in the work area between 12:00 Noon and 3:00 PM.
• Work in the southern crossover are tonight and tomorrow evening will close lanes between 8:00 PM and 11:00 AM. The first lane will closed at 8:00 PM through 11:00 AM. The second left lane will be close at 9:00 PM and reopen at 7:00 AM on Saturday morning and at 8:00 AM on Sunday morning.
Route I-93 Northbound –
• The two left lanes will be closed in the work area between 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM.
• Two left lanes will be closed In the area of the southern median crossover beyond Exit 29 (Routes 28/38) near the Somerville/Medford line and the northern median crossover beyond Exit 33 (Route 28) near the Medford/Stoneham line between 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM. Additional work will occur in the area of the northbound crossover this Saturday and Sunday morning between 5:00 AM and 11:00 AM and at both crossovers on weekdays between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM, with the left lane closed except for early morning hours on Saturday and Sunday.
• Work crews will be completing highway lighting improvements as part of a separate project in isolated areas between Exit 29 (Routes 28/38) and Exit 33 (Route 28). The work will occur during the overnight hours between 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM. This activity will require the closure of the two left lanes in the general area of the work.
• Bridge deck repairs at Exit 29 (Route 28/38) will require the closure of the right travel lane tonight and tomorrow evening between 8:00 PM and 11:00 AM. The on ramp from Routes 28/38 to I-93 northbound may be closed between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM both evenings. Affected traffic will be detoured along Route 38 northbound to a nearby on ramp at Exit 30.
Signs and traffic control measures will guide drivers through the work zones. MassDOT encourages drivers to allow extra time and to reduce speed and use caution when travelling through all work zones.
For more information or to sign up to receive future updates and schedule information, visit the project’s website at www.mass.gov/massdot/93fast14 .
Governor Patrick Signs “Boston Strong” License Plate Bill posted on Apr 18
Governor Deval Patrick today signed legislation creating a Massachusetts “Boston Strong” license plate. The legislation directs the Registry of Motor Vehicles to establish a license plate memorializing the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings adorned with the phrase “Boston Strong.” All proceeds from sales of …Continue Reading Governor Patrick Signs “Boston Strong” License Plate Bill
Whittier Bridge I-95 Update: River Boaters Notice posted on Apr 18
The Whittier Bridge/I-95 Improvement Project continues through the 2014 boating season. Much of the work this season to construct the new northbound span of the Whittier Bridge is taking place from the Merrimack River to the immediate east of the existing bridge. Several large barges, …Continue Reading Whittier Bridge I-95 Update: River Boaters Notice
Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Public Meeting Set posted on Apr 17
Please join MassDOT at a public meeting for an update on construction progress on the Route 79/Braga Bridge Improvements Project, as follows: Wednesday, April 30, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, Heritage State Park Auditorium, 200 Davol Street, Fall River The meeting will include an opportunity …Continue Reading Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Public Meeting Set